PDA

View Full Version : Achow, Swiney, Caithness

ljsutherland
16-Nov-15, 02:39
I have discovered that a large number of my ancestors lived in Achow, Swiney, Caithness at a place called Rhainrevach, during the late 1800's and early 1900's. I have not been able to find any information about Rhainrevach. Is anyone familiar with Rhainrevach? Was this a village, a farm or estate? Any information someone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
L. Sutherland

Ballymore
16-Nov-15, 12:02
Hi - check out this map here :)
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/nls/2001/ordnance-survey-six-inch-mile-caithness-sheet-xxxiii/os6inch
If you zoom in by the Swiney area there is a house called Rhianrevach (just north-west of Swiney) - could that be the place you are looking for?

ljsutherland
16-Nov-15, 16:02
Yes, this must be their home. Thank you so much for the information. Do you have any idea what Rhianrevach means?
Take care :)

Ballymore
16-Nov-15, 17:54
No idea what Rhianrevach means but I've googled a bit for you - that's how I found the map - googled Lybster old map!.
Ach can mean field in Gaelic, Revach could be from the Gaelic Reidh which means a plain or slope. If you break down Rhianrevach it can have various meanings. Maybe a sloping field that belonged to Rhian/Rhain (an old Celtic name meaning lance implying brave warrior)? So basically, no idea! :confused
It's amazing what you can find when you google! If you have google earth you can see the buildings that were there in 2004.
Cheers!

r.rackstraw
17-Nov-15, 22:36
Maybe:
Rhian = Burn
Revach (anglicised Riabhach) = Brindled or Brown

ljsutherland
17-Nov-15, 23:13
Thank you for my Gaelic lesson:cool: I do use Google but you are much better at it than I am. I have not used google earth before, this is a whole new adventure. I have also found a old map for the Sibster area where the rest of my family had farms. Thank you for all of your information.
Tale care!

Ballymore
18-Nov-15, 09:36
You're welcome - nice to be of some help :)

Peterd500
04-Jan-16, 10:02
NLS has fabulous maps free to view here.

http://maps.nls.uk/additions.html