PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Prices Caithness

postman pat
13-May-05, 17:08
In Thurso today noticed the petrol prices there a lot higher than in Wick. :) Some companies have outlets in both towns yet differant prices ,cheaper in wick by as much as
25 pence per gallon. :Razz

~~Tides~~
13-May-05, 17:30
It cos there is a nasty cartel (they threten other retailers and everything) that has control of all the prices and they change the prices now and again just to wind people. I heard that they once had a man killed! :eek:

Alananders68
13-May-05, 17:49
It's because Thurso is further to get to than Wick so the cost of transporting the fuel to the filling stations is higher.

scotsboy
13-May-05, 17:55
So Alan, does the fuel that comes into Scrabster go down to Wick then back to Scrabster for distribution again :confused
Think the price has to do with microeconomics :roll:

warrior
15-May-05, 13:12
What is the price at the moment in Caithness?

brandy
15-May-05, 15:51
the cheapest ive seen in wick is 92.0 and then richards is 93.0

brandy
15-May-05, 15:51
oh and the petrol station outside wick.. lochshell is 90.9

warrior
15-May-05, 18:01
Quite a differance whats going on ? Is that the station the road where you turn off to groats?

brandy
15-May-05, 20:19
yeah the station halfway between wick and reiss...

Fesman
15-May-05, 23:09
Interesting.

The price of Premium (97 Octane) petrol in New Zealand is $1.34 a litre.

I have done some calculations.

This equates to £2.34 a gallon

jalna
16-May-05, 13:04
Fesman, its getting there. The price of petrol will be the same as yours soon. :shock:

Any serious travelling here has to be done by car the buses are so unreliable.

And I agree that the prices in Thurso compared with Wick are ridiculous. It is almost worth driving through just to ge the cheaper petrol and to buy the shopping while your there. :roll:

Alananders68
16-May-05, 16:31
Yes Lochshell is usually always the cheapest place but what is wrong with you people that you'll fight over pennies like tinks. What does it matter if you're paying 93p a litre in Thurso or 90.9p at Lochsell, it's pennies for christ sake and you're talking what about 9p a gallon difference, even on your full weeks fuel the difference wouldn't buy you a pie so what's the big problem?

Fesman
17-May-05, 04:22
the difference wouldn't buy you a pie

Pies must be expensive

jalna
17-May-05, 13:25
The real problem is not amount of difference but that there is a difference.

The bigger arguement should be is why we are paying the prices that we are.

We live in a rural area which relies on personal vehicles for transport, yet we pay at least 10p per litre, not gallon, litre more than areas who have regular public transport.

Whitewater
17-May-05, 14:12
Alananders68 said

it's pennies for christ sake

TUT TUT !!!!! :eek: Alananders, usng the Lords name in vain, my goodness you are full of surprises.

There has always been a price difference between Thurso & Wick, sometimes Wick was the most expensive sometimes Thurso. The point is that it doesn't really matter which is the most expensive, we are all being ripped off, why should we in the far north have to pay 10p/litre above the national average when we are only a few miles from the depot

Alananders68
17-May-05, 14:48
Okay I see the point that it's not how much, it's just the principal of there being a difference, but isn't it funny how people always moan when they think someone is getting something cheaper than them but not when it's the other way around :roll:

You complain that there are parts of the country where petrol is 10p a litre cheaper than here, those places have higher house prices and rents so by your thinking then this is also wrong and if you want petrol prices brought in line then why aren't you demanding that Caithness have higher rents and house prices as well, you want fairness after all :confused

Just get over it, we pay less for some things and more for others, same applies to everyone in every area.

Rheghead
17-May-05, 14:57
Just get over it, we pay less for some things and more for others, same applies to everyone in every area.

Just to debunk that, in Belgravia they charge £1.15p per litre, their house prices are through the roof, everything is dear in the shops, pray tell what could be cheap in Belgravia to make things worth the expense on the above? :roll:

Anyway, on a trip to Lewis and Harris last week they were charging 97p per litre, 1.9p cheaper than Reay. I thought the cost of transport on the ferry etc would make fuel really dear there.

garycs
17-May-05, 15:06
I've always noticed a difference of 8-9p per litre between Inverness and Thurso. Ignoring the fact that there is a fuel depot at Scrabster and assuming a road tanker makes the journey from Inverness; the fuel in that tanker (20 000 litres) will be sold for £1700 more than it would in Inverness.

Typical journey costs are £1 per mile and say £120 per day for the driver; therefore additional costs to the oil company is no more than £400 per load or 2p/litre; by sea it would be far more efficient! The fuel companies are clearly profiteering from a captive market [evil].

I wonder if the OFT would be able to do anything if enough letters of complaint arrived on their doorstep :D

brandy
17-May-05, 15:36
Alananders68 the point is we are watching every penny.. ever think people have a budget?
we have two young children.. and it costs a lot of money to raise a family.. much less run a car.. and pennies mount up! maybe you can afford to blow money left and right but a lot of us can not.. [/quote]

Alananders68
17-May-05, 15:48
My point Brandy is that although you are paying more for your petrol than those in the south you are paying less for the roof over your head, you can't have it all! If you want your petrol the same price as those south then do you also want your housing costs to be the same? and insurance costs the same?(insurance premiums are a lot lot higher in the south). Of course you don't so stop being so greedy and wanting it all, what you lose on one hand you gain in the other.

Dali
17-May-05, 16:23
So what you are saying Alananders68,
Is that the petrol companys have worked out that we pay less for our houses and insurance up here. That they thought they would put our petrol up ?
We pay less for our houses as we have less jobs and less amenities up here.
We pay less insurance as we have less crime .

Alananders68
17-May-05, 18:15
So what you are saying Alananders68,
Is that the petrol companys have worked out that we pay less for our houses and insurance up here. That they thought they would put our petrol up ?
Read properly and don't twist things Dali, I never said that, I just said that the people moaning about the prices never moan when price differences are in there favour, they want it all there own way.

Some people are blaming the petrol companies for differing prices but what about all the other possible reasons?? You get teenagers driving in at nights with covered up or removed plates to fill up and drive off without paying and that gets passed on in increased prices to compensate. You might also have certain filling stations with higher overheads, rates could be higher, staff costs might be higher (lets say a filling station has a member of staff off sick or who gets pregnant and the law says they have to pay her so they will then be having to up prices to cover paying an extra member of staff). Petrol companies say it's because of the quantity sold, if a filling station down south is selling say 20000 litres a day then they are able to sell at a lower price than a filling station in a rural area that might only be selling the same quantity per week. There are numerous reasons why petrol may be higher in one place than in another and you just have to accept it and stop moaning.

Through
19-May-05, 20:30
The point is, we don't accept it.

I do relatively few miles here and travel south often enough that I fill up at Alness before coming home and that usually does me until my next trip. Every now and then I have to buy 10 litres or so in Caithness.

chubbs358
19-May-05, 21:44
i live over in orkney and the island i stay on petrol is £1.01 per L :eyes

buggyracer
20-May-05, 13:21
Scotland produces most of the uk,s petrol so why should it be dearer to buy than in england?? i was in the faroe islands a few weeks ago and they are a non oil producing nation yet there fuel is half the price of ours??

Through
21-May-05, 09:44
While the people of this country choose not to do anything about it, the english will continue to do as they please. Did you notice that their latest stunt was to steal a part of our seas. Apparently they did not make an annoncement about moving the border, because it was not in the public interest. If they continually do that, why on earth would they worry about minor discriminations such as higher petrol prices.

As illustrated by our friend, countryman and poster from Orkney, the farther north you go, the higher the price.

fluffybuffy
24-May-05, 13:33
My point Brandy is that although you are paying more for your petrol than those in the south you are paying less for the roof over your head, you can't have it all! If you want your petrol the same price as those south then do you also want your housing costs to be the same? and insurance costs the same?(insurance premiums are a lot lot higher in the south). Of course you don't so stop being so greedy and wanting it all, what you lose on one hand you gain in the other.

One thing that you forgot to point out is that while some of the things here in the north are cheaper - the level of pay is also pretty low....

I live in Spittal and there is no regular bus service into Thurso or Wick so unless I drive how else do you suggest I get my shopping, etc?

Then again maybe the reason why there are no regular bus services in many rural areas is because the fuel is sooo expensive?!

squidge
24-May-05, 15:18
While the people of this country choose not to do anything about it, the english will continue to do as they please. Did you notice that their latest stunt was to steal a part of our seas. Apparently they did not make an annoncement about moving the border, because it was not in the public interest. If they continually do that, why on earth would they worry about minor discriminations such as higher petrol prices.

the english!!!!! dont we have scottish chancellor - isnt he responsible for th tax on fuel?

And how on earth do you "steal sea?"

katarina
24-May-05, 15:36
Yes Lochshell is usually always the cheapest place but what is wrong with you people that you'll fight over pennies like tinks. What does it matter if you're paying 93p a litre in Thurso or 90.9p at Lochsell, it's pennies for christ sake and you're talking what about 9p a gallon difference, even on your full weeks fuel the difference wouldn't buy you a pie so what's the big problem?

Ah but count it up over the year.

Zael
25-May-05, 09:36
dont we have scottish chancellor - isnt he responsible for th tax on fuel?
Taxation is a national thing, not split into Scotland and England (yet)

And how on earth do you "steal sea?"
The same way you steal land, you move the border line on the map without permission.

Rheghead
25-May-05, 17:44
I was travelling through Wester Ross last week and diesel was 98.9p per litre, much dearer than up here, except reay of course.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-May-05, 18:41
out of interest how much is diesel at home (caithness) right now?

88.9p lite in Aberdeen

Rheghead
25-May-05, 19:00
out of interest how much is diesel at home (caithness) right now?

88.9p lite in Aberdeen

in reay it is 98.9p/litre

Dali
25-May-05, 20:27
Just back from birmingham was 84.9p there .

cullbucket
26-May-05, 16:22
You would have thought that booze would have the same transportation cost issues - yet caithness pub prices are much cheaper than anywhere down south.....

Rheghead
26-May-05, 17:02
You would have thought that booze would have the same transportation cost issues - yet caithness pub prices are much cheaper than anywhere down south.....

Now there's a simple solution to life's problems. Leave the car and drink all day then we're quids in! :lol: Sorry cullbucket, i am not picking on you.