PDA

View Full Version : Doctors John and Alec Alexander

Echidna
17-Apr-07, 08:53
Hi all

has any one information on the families and exploits of Dr John and Dr Alec Alexander. I know Dr John was the 1st chief medical officer for Caithness and has a statue in Wick. It is likely they were Alsherson descendants, but from which line? The names John and Alexander are common in my line (Alexander, Thomas, David, Andrew Bremner), so they might be nephews or cousins of my lot.

Dr John Alexander was the physician who signed my 3x Great grandfather David Alexander's death certificate when he died in Wick in 1881. David Alexander had brothers called John and Alexander, and sons called John and Alexander, they might be one of these.

Look forward to any information on this subject

Thanks Echidna

susan.leith
18-Apr-07, 21:12
Hi Echidna

John and Alexander Alexander were both sons of William Alsherson / Alexander and Henrietta Craig, grandsons of Donald Alsherson and Euphemia Thomson. Both John and Alex were GPs in Wick. Alex died in 1894 after contracting typhus. His wife and family then moved to Edinburgh. John died in 1901 in Wick.

THE SCOTSMAN 17 APRIL 1894 p4
Dr Alexander, Wick, died on Sunday from fever contracted in the discharge of his professional duties. The sad event has caused deep regret in the town and throughout the county where Dr Alexander had an extensive practice, and was greatly respected. The deceased gentleman was forty five years of age and leaves a widow and three young children. At a special meeting last night of the Wick Town Council and the Pulteneytown Commissioners, resolutions were adopted expressing sorrow at Dr Alexander’s death, and both public bodies agreed to attend the funeral in their official capacity.

Have sent you a PM with my email address so you can get in touch direct if you need more info.

Regards
Susan