PDA

View Full Version : the name "Skinandis"

Fantoosh
16-Apr-07, 16:46
does it actually mean anything? does anyone know where it came from and why they decided to use it?

just wondering :lol:

moncur
16-Apr-07, 16:56
Its gaelic and the meaning refers to Thurso River from what i have heard.

Moby
16-Apr-07, 16:58
Could it mean "sticky carpet" or "I definately had too much to drink last night coz I ended up in Skins".

Apparently it means shiny in scandinavian - not sure if that is why they chose it.

gollach
16-Apr-07, 18:15
I think Brian Cardosi ran a competition to find a name for it and that was the winner.

WeeBurd
16-Apr-07, 22:49
Could it mean "sticky carpet"

[lol] Moby, you've made my night, hahaha! [lol]

Metalattakk
17-Apr-07, 01:17
Apparently the word "Skinandi" is the Old Norse for "The Shining One" and was used as a reference to the Thurso River by the Vikings of old.

The same word is the base for the place-name "Skinnet", by Glengolly.

And, further to this, if you stand at Skinnet farm and look down the wide open valley, you'll see the Thurso River glinting away in the middle, for miles and miles into the distance towards Halkirk.

bky
17-Apr-07, 07:49
the name comes from the shorttened version of the results of a night on the booze "skinnedhandzand nees" :D

ŠAmethyst
17-Apr-07, 08:10
"Skinandi" is the Old Norse for "The Shining One" and was used as a reference to the Thurso River by the Vikings of old.

That's exactly what Mr Cardosi told me one day when I asked him. Almost word for word!

moncur
17-Apr-07, 10:18
the name comes from the shorttened version of the results of a night on the booze "skinnedhandzand nees" :D

Pure quality lol :D

BRIE
17-Apr-07, 11:15

more like skinned handies! that would suit the age group that go in there these days better:L or maybe im just getting to old :(

Valerie Campbell
17-Apr-07, 18:23
Brilliant, bky!