PDA

View Full Version : NHS Highland Travel Cost Reimbursement

Bored
09-Jun-15, 20:21
From 1 June 2015 NHS Highland Travel Scheme mileage travel reimbursement to and from appointments has been reduced from 18p per mile to 13p per mile without consultation. Your thoughts?

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jun-15, 20:40
It never covered the full cost for me anyways but my thoughts ............ridiculous !!! and not surprised as they need every penny to help them balance the books down to their own miss management !!

Dadie
09-Jun-15, 20:42
It doesn't cover the petrol costs as it is!
If anything the money reimbursed should be increased instead of decreased.
Is the amount deducted (as not on benefits ) staying the same?

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jun-15, 20:47
It doesn't cover the petrol costs as it is!
If anything the money reimbursed should be increased instead of decreased.
Is the amount deducted (as not on benefits ) staying the same?

I once asked why they deducted ten pound from my claim each time as I stated it cost the same whether the person travelling was on benefits or not to take the car down. My answer given was that this was set out by the Scottish Government. I didnt bother asking further.

I never used to bother claiming however as someone once said to me .....claim as if this costs them a lot they may consider setting up more clinics in Wick.....how wrong they were .....looks like they are just reducing the money.

Bored
09-Jun-15, 21:08
See
Row over health board's 'draconian' travel scheme/Herald Scotland
Sorry can't post direct link

gerry4
09-Jun-15, 21:39
The rate is set by HMRC and for a number of years NHS Highland has been paying over the recommended by HMRC. HMRC. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advisory-fuel-rates/advisory-fuel-rates-from-1-june-2015

I have had an email off them today saying that the rate will be increased to 15p per mile until HMRC review it again, when NHS highland will again review it. I think this is a fair compromise.

I am affected as I travel to Inverness every week for treatment, that was why I complained.

Bored
09-Jun-15, 22:21
Those links only apply to employees using a company car

theone
10-Jun-15, 08:19
I honestly don't understand why it the NHS's responsibility to pay for people to get to a hospital appointment in the first place.

squidge
10-Jun-15, 08:30
Because some people can't afford to go if they don't. Especially here, especially if they have a long term condition or a chronic illness and need frequent visits. People have to be able to access healthcare. In Ardersier, patients can't actually get a bus to take them to Nairn where many hospital appointments are held, they have to get a taxi. I'm sure that's the case in Caithness too. Meeting those sorts of costs when sick, off work, on benefits can mean you aren't able to go to your appointment. A little help can go a long way to making sure that doesn't happen.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-15, 08:38
Take for example a family with a child needing orthodontics. Its Inverness you have to take them to even for a ten minute check up which you must attend. If its ongoing treatment which can last for a couple of years ( braces) that's almost every six weeks in the worst case scenario for a couple of years to Inverness. Thats a huge cost for a family to commit to. If the clinics are not made possible at your local hospital then why shouldnt NHS pay. After all by traveling to that service in effect the patient is saving the NHS money as they do not have to set up that service in the area.

theone
10-Jun-15, 09:01
Valid points.

But the original post was with regards to mileage allowances.

If somebody can afford to buy a car, insure a car, tax a car and maintain a car, I really don't understand how the difference between 18p a mile and 13p a mile will make any difference to their lives.

squidge
10-Jun-15, 09:28
I understand what you are saying theone but in rural areas a car is often a necessity not a luxury. There are plenty of places where without a car, people can't get to work, kids to school, college, can't get shopping, get to the doctors or hospital. People scrimp and save every penny to keep that car on the road. If you are doing that then the difference between 13p and 18p a mile can be important. Over the 220 mile return from wick to Inverness that can mean a difference of £11.00. That's a good amount of money when you have none. I could make two dinners for four of us from £11.00.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-15, 10:37
Valid points.

But the original post was with regards to mileage allowances.

If somebody can afford to buy a car, insure a car, tax a car and maintain a car, I really don't understand how the difference between 18p a mile and 13p a mile will make any difference to their lives.

To some individuals like Squidge has mentioned it can make a lot of difference to others its neither here nor there however.....

To hospital management who are seen to be centralising services and not committing to providing as many facilities as possible in the rural general hospitals for example Caithness general its a cost saving. Multiply that 5p a mile by the thousands of people per week claiming it this will add up to a lot of money to the NHS. I was advised to claim this mileage by a GP to make sure that cost could be highlighted as a contributing reason for say establishing a service in an area. Its more cost effective for the service to be providede in Wick for the patients rather than paying for the patients to travel South.

gerry4
10-Jun-15, 12:11
I have heard from NHS Highland that they are increasing it to 15p.

Dadie
10-Jun-15, 12:18
Gerry4, that is not an increase it is a decrease of 3p a mile.
An increase would be a value above 18p a mile.

gerry4
10-Jun-15, 12:30
Ok if you wish, NHS Highland have revised the decrease from 13p to 15p. Is that better? At least give credit that they have listened to complaints and acted on it. Also can I point out that at 15p it is not the lowest rate of NHS regions.

ealf2000
12-Jun-15, 16:39
Do you also know if you have an appointment before 10am you can also claim for overnight accomodation. If the appointment is for 10-15am you cannot claim. problem with this is that the first bus from Wick or Thurso does not get to Inverness until 10-30am and you then have to get from bus station to Raigmore.

cptdodger
15-Jun-15, 20:25
Just seen this on the BBC News website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-33140233

cptdodger
15-Jun-15, 20:28
Do you also know if you have an appointment before 10am you can also claim for overnight accomodation. If the appointment is for 10-15am you cannot claim. problem with this is that the first bus from Wick or Thurso does not get to Inverness until 10-30am and you then have to get from bus station to Raigmore.

I did'nt know that, but then I had no idea until March last year I could claim for travel, by then I had been going back and forward to Raigmore for five years. It appears it is something you are supposed to just know, the receptionists are not allowed to tell you !

BRIE
15-Jun-15, 21:00
Take for example a family with a child needing orthodontics. Its Inverness you have to take them to even for a ten minute check up which you must attend. If its ongoing treatment which can last for a couple of years ( braces) that's almost every six weeks in the worst case scenario for a couple of years to Inverness. Thats a huge cost for a family to commit to. If the clinics are not made possible at your local hospital then why shouldnt NHS pay. After all by traveling to that service in effect the patient is saving the NHS money as they do not have to set up that service in the area.

This is exactly our problem just now. I have 2 sons that both have orthodontic treatment in Inverness. they both go every 6 weeks but their appointments are never on the same day! & whats more they have been having this treatment for the last 7 YEARS!!! that an awful lot of money for us & the £13 towards travel which it has now gone down to doesnt go anywhere near the actual cost.

2little2late
19-Jun-15, 09:56
Must be costing the NHS hundreds of thousands of pounds over the course of a financial year. Why don't the NHS hold appointments at CGH every month for out patients that need to travel? Would it not be cost effective to send consultants to Wick rather than have patients from the far north travel south to Raigmore for every appointment. After all, the consultants could perhaps travel in one vehicle and the driver of said vehicle claim the 13p per mile travel. Or is this too much like common sense?

cptdodger
19-Jun-15, 10:00
One of my Gastroenterologist Consultants offered to do this, and basically was told no. I will let you all do your research on some of the illnesses Gastroenterology covers, but trust me, a lot of people are not physically able to sit in a bus/car/coach for that length of time, so are missing out on appointments.

2little2late
19-Jun-15, 10:26
One of my Gastroenterologist Consultants offered to do this, and basically was told no. I will let you all do your research on some of the illnesses Gastroenterology covers, but trust me, a lot of people are not physically able to sit in a bus/car/coach for that length of time, so are missing out on appointments.

My late father was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was 80. He had to travel to Raigmore every month for his treatment. This totally wiped him out. He was that fed up of the travelling, as were myself and my sisters. When he told his consultant he won't be travelling to Raigmore for his treatment anymore, the consultant gave him all the bull about receiving best treatment my dad told them he isn't travelling anymore. They eventually let him have his treatment in CGH. It's all about numbers and funding at Raigmore.

cptdodger
19-Jun-15, 10:40
My late father was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was 80. He had to travel to Raigmore every month for his treatment. This totally wiped him out. He was that fed up of the travelling, as were myself and my sisters. When he told his consultant he won't be travelling to Raigmore for his treatment anymore, the consultant gave him all the bull about receiving best treatment my dad told them he isn't travelling anymore. They eventually let him have his treatment in CGH. It's all about numbers and funding at Raigmore.

I'm so sorry, your poor dad. Even without being ill, it would take it out of anyone at that age. It is a shocking way to treat people. However, if more people did that, they might not have an option, but to get consultants up here. My Consultant said what the people in Caithness need to do is stand up to the Health Board, or whoever makes these decisions, and to be fair, (as I said on another thread) last year, I had to go and see four different Consultants, although not happy, off I went. I honestly do'nt know what the solution is.