PDA

View Full Version : Who else things this is crazy!...

Victoria
10-Apr-07, 11:33
http://liveearth.org/

IMO this completely defeats the object of raising the awareness of climate change......massive concerts all round the world! Pah![evil]

orkneylass
10-Apr-07, 19:57
I think this is a subject on which there is a lot of confusion and absurdity...and meantime, politicians are on a bandwagon and have found a great new way to raise taxes. Just as long as nobody thinks the planet is under threat - human beings maybe, but not the planet. It will look after itself, just as it did through numerous climate changes in the past. We need to stop playing King Canute and start planning to adapt and survive.

percy toboggan
10-Apr-07, 20:00
All these so called stars and celebrities - and politicians falling overthemselves to be seen to be green. It's all a sickening spectacle and will do about as much good as me buying three low energy lightbulbs in the face of Chinese fossil fuel burning.

Adaptt and survive is the name of the game - well said orkneylass. You'll be allreet up there, but it might get wee bit crowded with southern Spaniards looking for H2O. Que Sera

Stumurf
10-Apr-07, 20:01
dont these people fly around the world performing thier music to large crowds anyway?

why cant it be used to try and educate people as to what could be potentialing happening to the world and the impact that its could have on our lives?

nothing crazy about to me in my view...

Solus
10-Apr-07, 20:35
All in the name of global warming ?

Wonder how much energy is going to be used to stage that ?

large carbon footprint me thinks.

Dusty
10-Apr-07, 21:05
As has been said, the "green taxes" are a complete fudge. I have just looked at a website that gave figures for the "Carbon Dioxide emissions from the Consumption and Flaring of Fossil Fuels" and the UK provided just over 2% of the total and the whole EUs contribution came to circa 8%.
So, I wonder just how much of an effect would we have on Global Warming if everyone in the UK or even the EU stopped using fossil fuels tomorrow?

JAWS
10-Apr-07, 21:30
Wow, yet another "Start buying our records again" (OK you modernites, CDs or is it MP3 now?) ploy by certain non-entities who are well past their sell-by dates! :eek:

Victoria
11-Apr-07, 12:43
My friends reply to me was that 'it raises awarenes' - what a load of twaddle.

the fact that these people jet arouddoing concerts anyway is neither here nor there as this is just an extra one to add to it all.

I wonder what they will be doing to help the green footprint of this gig?

Boozeburglar
15-Apr-07, 23:41
It is a well established means of raising awareness.

You and I may already be aware, but there are going to be at least a good percentage who take in some form of message from these concerts.

Like it or not, this is the new way of campaigning.

This may upset those who feel their precious little cause defines them and cannot be understood by the masses, but making it sexy and making it globally televised is how you get it on the map post Live Aid.

I couldn't care less if most of the viewers are there for the music, if only 5% get informed it means something.

The carbon footprint for such an event, probably less than the value of promoting the issue, imho.

Love

;)

MadPict
15-Apr-07, 23:49
Live Aid banished hunger...

Live 8 removed third world debt...

Live Earth will save the planet....

(tongue firmly in cheek....)

Boozeburglar
16-Apr-07, 00:42
Pathetic. Really pathetic.

MadPict
16-Apr-07, 00:54
Was my post that bad?.......

Boozeburglar
16-Apr-07, 01:12
Well if you want to suggest that the only reasonable measure of success for a campaign is to achieve its ideal then fine; they don't always, of course.

If you were just intent on being negative, mission accomplished.

;)

Jeemag_USA
16-Apr-07, 02:43
AAAARgh... sorry. I really don't get this, every time someone in a postion to just do a little something for something people care about and they get lambasted. What the hell is wrong with what they are doing, at least they are trying, what are you doing. Sitting complaining about the people who are trying to bring it to others attention, instead of complaining about the people who are not. I don't see anything wrong with the website in question or people having concerts to bring it to peoples awareness. So big acts can attract a lot of people, and the real activist bodies who are trying to get someting done set up shop there to tell people their story, what is wrong with that?

Sorry I have to agree with Boozeburglar and Stumurf. A thread is posted about a group of people who want to fight cimate change and bring it to peoples attention and you think its not doing any good. I daresay this will grow into another one of these threads where the org's know it all's will use it as a battleground to see who can google the fastest and stoop the lowest. Pitiful?

MadPict
16-Apr-07, 09:29
Just so my position is clarified -
I gave money to Live Aid.
I supported Make Poverty History.
I 'do my bit' to reduce my carbon footprint.

One of my favourite places is the Maldives and this nation exists with their highest point a metre above sea level - so I am only well aware what place will disappear first should sea levels rise.

So, I feel that my criticism of the limited effectiveness of such campaigns is valid.
Yes, it raises awareness for a short period of time but then people forget about the 'cause of the moment' and we are left with massive food shortages and 100,000's of people starving.
Ok, so the debt of a couple of countries was wiped from the books and everyone moves on thinking the campaign was a complete success.
And maybe you plant a tree when you fly on holiday and think the polar bears will still have a floe to hunt on in 30 years time.
They are all sticking plaster remedies - people forget and get on with their lives.

People will buy the sticker, wristband or t-shirt but the people who actually can make the changes, the politicians, make a half hearted gesture to look trendy and win a few more votes and get to pose with the odd rock star or two.

If you want to save the world then vote Green Party at the next election not red or blue or yellow with a thin line of green around the edge....

Victoria
16-Apr-07, 14:16
Totally agree MadPict.

moncur
16-Apr-07, 17:04
My personal opinion is that putting on concerts like this are a good way to raise awareness.

For example (on a much smaller scale):

I played at the 'Ard Rock Drugs Awareness concerts around Wick & Thurso. The idea of live music brought the punters/ kids/ parents in. Then once they were in they could listen to the bands and go around the stalls with info, games, contests etc. When i was at the concerts Id play then go around the stalls and i certainly felt like id learned something important. If one person walked away from an event with a better understanding of drink & drugs then the event was considered a success.

A lot of festivals/ charity events on a large scale such as Live Earth are carbon neutral nowadays where they calculate roughly how much pollution the gig has caused and they plant (X) number of trees to balance it out. Its all good I say.

MadPict
16-Apr-07, 22:45
Tree Planting: It's All About Location....

Trees
Trees. It depends where you plant them.
Planting trees is good for the environment - right? Actually no, not always.

If you've been merrily offsetting your intercontinental ights by planting trees you might have been making yourself feel better but not actually doing much for climate change.

Scientists say that trees in high latitudes can actually contribute to global warming.

Dr Ken Caldeira is a climate scientist at the Carnegie Institute of Washington. He told The World Today we need to think carefully about where we do our planting.

"In areas where there's snow on the ground in winter, trees can have a very strong warming influence and even exacerbate the warming. Snow reflects sunlight."

Dr Ken Caldeira.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/worldtoday/news/story/2007/04/070410_climate_trees.shtml