PDA

View Full Version : are the caithness co-op's the same?

emszxr
04-Apr-07, 20:29
i was in my local co-op ( brora ) today and noticed that they have taken away some of the co-op's own brand products but left the more expensive known brand products. i was wanting lemon curd and the only one they have now is a small jar that costs £1.29. i asked where the co-op own brand product was and was told that they have been told to take some of the products off the shelves. they still have the products they have taken off the shelf in the store room that will be put on discount in the next week or 2. i managed to get a jar of lemon curd out the store room and it was only 79p(not been reduced in price yet). so in future i am going to have to pay 50p more for what i think is not as nice a lemon curd. also noticed their own peanut butter is off shelf and only choise now is a much more expensive named brand.
i didnt have time to see what else in store was off the shelf. but i think this is terrible. cant wait for asda to come to tain. is it any wonder i dont do much of my shopping locally when they ripping the customer off like this.

emb123
04-Apr-07, 22:04
i was in my local co-op ( brora ) today and noticed that they have taken away some of the co-op's own brand products but left the more expensive known brand products. i was wanting lemon curd and the only one they have now is a small jar that costs £1.29. i asked where the co-op own brand product was and was told that they have been told to take some of the products off the shelves. they still have the products they have taken off the shelf in the store room that will be put on discount in the next week or 2. i managed to get a jar of lemon curd out the store room and it was only 79p(not been reduced in price yet). so in future i am going to have to pay 50p more for what i think is not as nice a lemon curd. also noticed their own peanut butter is off shelf and only choise now is a much more expensive named brand.
i didnt have time to see what else in store was off the shelf. but i think this is terrible. cant wait for asda to come to tain. is it any wonder i dont do much of my shopping locally when they ripping the customer off like this.
They all do it. Tesco Wick for instance don't stock Value Strawberry Jam 33p but do their full price one 70p.
I only buy specific items from Tesco and have noticed a variance in the price depending on which store you buy from - despite Tescos claim that this is untrue. Maybe they've stopped doing it now because I've not noticed this in the last 6-8 months - but then I hardly ever go to Tesco nowadays.

Sainsbury's down south have a more responsible attitude to this sort of thing - their 'Basics' range is acceptably packaged not to deliberately look cheap and naff. Most Sainsbury's stores stock the full 'Basics' range of products which are after all basic requirements for most people, unlike the other supermarkets who cherry-pick which from amongst their cheaper popular product lines they'll carry in stores where they have more dominance over the marketplace.

This recent accusation about Tesco exploiting their dominant market position makes me think it's about time the relevant powers that be took a good, long, hard look at what these supermarkets are doing and the tricks they play to inflate market prices and rip people off.

Incidentally one of the nicest Lemon Curds I've had is Tesco value one (around the 33p sort of price) - it looks hideous as it's an ultra-vivid yellow colour but it's really lemony and has real bite to it. Haven't checked to see if the Wick branch do it though. Morissons budget one is probably the nicest of the lot at any price but the nearest Morissons is miles away.

Personally I think Supermarket executives should be hung drawn and quartered, they're bigger crooks than those people who go round at night breaking into peoples houses.

addendum:
I just checked and Wick Tesco do sell their Value Lemon Curd at 42p - it's been a while since I bought it so it's possible the price has gone up a bit.

I understand that Lemon Curd is dead easy to make btw. :)