PDA

View Full Version : Bono's Knighthood

trebor
01-Apr-07, 01:11
Bono accepting an 'honorary knighthood' for his services to third world debt ...

what a wasted oppotunity for an influential figure to demand more be done rather than kissing tony..'i'm a failure when it comes to resolving third world debt'.. blair's ass.

was surprised to hear he'd been offered it... but amazed to hear he accepted it.

Rheghead
01-Apr-07, 01:15
Did he achieve more by accepting it or do you think he could have achieved more by refusing it?:confused

I think the answer to that all depends on how much contempt you have for British institutions rather than for Bono's personal achievement.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-07, 01:18
Bono deserved his honorary"knightie".His music wi his best three pals over the past 30 years have been brilliant.His awarenous of world issues has been a millions time better than Chris"permanent marker on the hand"Martin.Ma favourite of Bono and Co. was "Mothers of the Disappeared"on the 'Joshua Tree' in 87.

The_man_from_del_monte
01-Apr-07, 01:39
+++++++++++++++++ edit

JAWS
01-Apr-07, 02:01
They will be putting them as prizes in Corn Flakes packets next!

Solus
01-Apr-07, 09:27
Should have gone to some of the unsung heroes who put a lot more time and effort into third world debt and other issues !

Not that i think Bono will use his knight hood to further/boost his career !

_Ju_
01-Apr-07, 10:05

U2 or knighthoods? I hope the former and not the later! I'd even start buying cornflakes! ;)

It is strange how when someone famous does something benevolent, it is often criticised as not quite enough. If they build an orphanage, they should have built two or three. If they donate to starving african children, they should have remembered that there are underprivledged american/british children too and at least some (if not all) of the money should have gone to them. There is no pleasing greek and trojan.

Solus
01-Apr-07, 10:15
But how often do you hear of Joe Average getting a knighthood for his/hers efforts ? not very often !

If the likes of Bonio and others who recieve knighthoods or the like do their work for true and just reasons, great, but many do it as a form of advertsing, getting their face in the papers .

fred
01-Apr-07, 10:41
Bono accepting an 'honorary knighthood' for his services to third world debt ...

what a wasted oppotunity for an influential figure to demand more be done rather than kissing tony..'i'm a failure when it comes to resolving third world debt'.. blair's ass.

was surprised to hear he'd been offered it... but amazed to hear he accepted it.

All attempts to combat Third World debt will fail unless we first combat First World greed. That is the real problem in the world, solving that one would solve most of the others.

In particular we could outlaw corporations which set up Vulture Funds. Governments boast of making huge reductions to the debts of Third World countries and then they sell the debts to corporations at the reduced price, the corporations then sue the countries for more than the original debt. The countries end up having to pay more than if the debt hadn't been reduced.

percy toboggan
01-Apr-07, 16:45
Sir Bono? Another reason for the average jo to be cynical, sceptical and er....sick.

The man is a big-headed jerk who can sing a bit. Nothing more, nothing less.

scotsboy
01-Apr-07, 17:50
Once again I agree with Fred.

Percy, at least he can sing, I'm just a big-headed jerk.........no sign of a Knighthood either.

Jeemag_USA
01-Apr-07, 17:59
Sir Bono? Another reason for the average jo to be cynical, sceptical and er....sick.

The man is a big-headed jerk who can sing a bit. Nothing more, nothing less.

A couple of years ago he came through Indianapolis on an Aids Awarness tour, talking to community groups along with actor Chris Tucker. He visited almost every major city in every state in the USA to talk about Aids in Africa. This was a whirlwind tour, without payment, without royalties and to my mind it must have been pretty exhausting and a tremendous effort. If thats what being a big headed jerk is all baout then I think we need more of them. Bono always puts people first, and dispite any character flaws people might perceive him as having, he deserves any recognition that he gets for what he does.

johno
01-Apr-07, 18:23
yea. i wonder when i.ll be getting mine, just for getting up out o bed this morning. :roll: [lol]