PDA

View Full Version : Breakdance

hotrod4
30-Mar-07, 12:52
As we are getting away from the subject, as requested starting a new thread.
With regards to the the Wick Breaker Green, that would be gordy. He was part of our crew along with Terry Johnston, Bruce ewing, Liam"sharky" Shearer, John"rusty"Russell,Lee"roy" Fleming, Michael Fleming and me! Gary"hamy"Hamilton and many other dudes who hung about and supported us.
Will check with the guys to see if there are any pics on the go so we can all have a laugh at our groovy hairstyles!!!! lol

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Mar-07, 17:46
Gordy Green was a bit of a radgepacket if I remember rightly, hotrod. Never got to meet many Wick Breakers apart from competitions, always a good craic, though.

Trust me when I say there is a LOT of video footage from those days kicking around. I know where a fair chunk of it is, but getting it off them - or even a copy - doesn't seem likely. I hope that changes. Those days meant a lot to me, and around then there seemed to be a constant buzz about the town. For me, things really died off when the Americans left. They introduced me to music, dance, different sports (softball, basketball) and were always an encouraging bunch. Is that still the case in Caithness today? I doubt it.

Anyway, Breakin' was a good, healthy sport that brought people together, and helped me become more creative through music, art and movement. Maybe we should organise a reunion. Now that would be weird!

Egyptian Warriors: Where are they now?

buggyracer
30-Mar-07, 18:13
i would love to see these videos, i was younger than most mentioned doing it, but i can remember them them dancing, in the grove i think, and also at the precinct.

quality seeing the old pics of the lads doing it, we still purr brucey ewing up to do abit when we see him out and about, and he mostly obliges lol.

and pepsi, that is how i remeber you, with your nike jacket on,

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Mar-07, 18:19
Hey Beachbuggy - I was trying to buzz ye last week regards a gig, but you were nowhere to be found. Maybe ye can book us in next time we hit Thurso.

But aye, Breakin'. I've seen loads of the video footage and a lot of the routines back then would blow away a lot of the Breakers I see at Dancebase and at the hip hop clubs in Edinburgh. Fresh, as they used to say.

buggyracer
30-Mar-07, 18:22
Hey Beachbuggy - I was trying to buzz ye last week regards a gig, but you were nowhere to be found. Maybe ye can book us in next time we hit Thurso.

But aye, Breakin'. I've seen loads of the video footage and a lot of the routines back then would blow away a lot of the Breakers I see at Dancebase and at the hip hop clubs in Edinburgh. Fresh, as they used to say.

lol as i say i have vauge memories of it, but i was suitably impressed with what i seen!

ill pm you my number, cheers.

lagertops
30-Mar-07, 23:19
I mind my first lesson in the BB hall with Master Donnie Will ,totally gob smacked and hooked ,i was.We used to sit in my old dears, about 20 off us watching Breakdance 1, which we rented from J Bews for £2 a time, we
probably watched it 30 times on our new £500 video!
Then it was out and about with the getoblaster ,lino and a tin o spray paint to have some fun and fun it was.From Thurso to Glasgow the Caithness boys blew them all away.

Hammy, mind the competion in wick youth club when yourself and Art Davies from the yankee base went head 2 head on the decks? Brilliant

Lets get a reunion started,with Hammy an Ali Elder on the decks.

Rock Rock electro Rock

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Mar-07, 23:40
I think a reunion would be a fantastic idea. Certainly better than any lets-pretend-to-be-pals-school-reunion that's for sure. Am sure Don M and myself would be up for it. Willie Miller, Bell, Donnie W, the Elders, and the Wick crew are not too far away from each other either. Could pick out Skins on a Thursday night as a venue, and have US dictate, for once, what the playlist should be. My top three Breakin' tunes were/still are: (a) Gunsmoke Breakout by the Willesden Dodgers; (b) Tour De France by Kraftwerk; (c) Beat Box by Art of Noise featuring Ice-T.

Anyone else game?

hotrod4
31-Mar-07, 13:38
Definitley up for a reunion!!! I will catch a hold of all the wick crew and see what we can come up with. Its amazing how much those days meant to us all I will NEVER forget the great times we all had, they say you always remember your youth well i can look back with pride at what we ALL achieved it was a great time!.
Top 3 tunes:
Breakers revenge-Arthur baker
Cosmic blast-Captain rock
The message-melle mel

Still as fresh now as it was then

hotrod4
02-Apr-07, 11:24
heres a message from gordy green as he cant post at the mo'

Hi all u b-dance fans!! haha. Im called gordy green an used to breakdance in both wik an thurso wi all the lads. God it brings bak memories, used to hev sum laughs! like when we were at a competition in thurso high an decided to pile over to big an little elders house for a fill o drink!! haha. there was so many of us in the taxi bak to the school that we had to put donnie murray (nutter) and scanlon into the boot for the return journey!! lol. them were the days eh?
God i miss those days an quite often reflect on them. im still in touch with donnie macenzie (ma bro) an he's doin well. he invited me down to dance wi him at hampden park about a mounth ago! aye i can still do the windmills etc but its sore on eh bones now!! haha. would love to have a reunion. will tell donnie m when i fone him and let u all know if he'll cum. hes busy an breakin wi a crew he taught from falkirk. would love to get in touch wi all u from the past so e-mail me at gordon.green1@hotmail.co.uk, hope to hear from u all soon. cheerz for that hambone, ur a real star lad. b good.

lagertops
05-Apr-07, 22:44
Nice one Gordie,they were 13 bodies in big Andy Crawfords taxi that day!
I gave you a wave in Thurso 2 weeks ago,I was going into Topjoes to watch the Scotland game.

Jeemag_USA
11-Apr-07, 23:35
Even though I wasn't breakin, I would turn up just to get the crack, i pretty much know everyone in the Thurso crews and it would be a good laugh just to see everyone together, have a competition dancing round a crate o tennents, winner takes including hernias and broken talibones and slipped discs :lol: No girdles or deep heat allowed Donnie Deisel!!

I am home in June, if its on then I will turn up for the laugh! Hell I might even practice a few moves just to make a pure fool of myself! Anybody got any home instruction videos for doin the robot like! Will I be allowed to do the funky chicken if I choose the richt music for it!

hotrod4
17-Apr-07, 09:32
Have spoken to Gordy and he is up for it! me too, all i have to do now is get the rest of the Wick posse to agree to "burn" the thurso breakers in skinandis and we are on!!!! he he.
I can just imagine Skinandis packed and "breakers revenge" comes on, the floor clears and the B-boys move in! That would be a sight to see and would get the punters juices flowing and people talking for a long time!!!!!

been practising for 20 years now so i reckon i am ready!!! he he
be good to see all the crew
Lets make it june? seems like a good time for everyone?

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Mar-10, 21:21
Breakers from the 80s will hopefully enjoy this interview with Donald McKenzie of The Egyptian Warriors.

http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/HI-Arts/Features/march2010-feature-donald-mackenzie.htm

RUSH.dance
03-Mar-10, 21:31
yo lads, RUSH.dance started and has been running now for 4 weeks, there is a real buzz around thurso at the moment. HIP HOP IN THE HIGHLANDS...
there is some amazing bboys / bgirls coming to class and they have picked up my routines and moves pretty quick.
Im also working for Eden court (body current) project, and going south to dance schools to teach hip hop/ street to dancers.
BIG THANKS to don for kicking me back to something i love.
Heard my routine is bangin out at kids discos in skinandis and for me thats it, kids having fun wi their mates and showing their moves as all the old skool breakers did many moons ago!!!
Bring on the reunion, to catch up we the old lads.

MAD MURRAY is bald now so no head spins for him...
great work Barry

Cheers WM (BBOY RUSH)

lagertops
05-Mar-10, 22:45
Great article Pepsi, I enjoyed that.Donald summed it up 100%

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Mar-10, 18:39
Cheers, guys - much appreciated. Hope to do something again nearer the time of the reunion. Just waiting on Donald coming up with a date, so sincerely hope we get as big a crowd together as possible for it. It'll be great craic that's for sure. Thanks again :)

scotsboy
06-Mar-10, 18:45
That is a great article Pepsi, thanks for posting the link. I keep forgetting about that site!