PDA

View Full Version : hmmmmm!!!!!

danc1ngwitch
28-Mar-07, 18:12
some schools are real strict on the healthy eating, yes faithfully children been taking fruits an healthy snacks. Dinners in school is way more healthy now an kids are encouraged to eat these meals. Well done, hands up hip hip hoorray!!! but behind the closed staff room doors pinned up is the local chip shops telephone number... ah well they may claim they purchase meats from there... but how do they explain box's of sweets... celebrations an such like.[lol] look out teachers our children gettin pay back... they gonna fix all u cheaters.:eek:

justine
28-Mar-07, 18:18
going by what my kids tell me about their meals at school i dont think that hte healthy eating option is going down to well.....but i know that in most schools it is working so i hooray aswell,,,,,Now i dont think they meant that the teachers have to set a good example behind closed doors....not in the curriculum....

Sandra_B
28-Mar-07, 18:28
Our school is quite strict about healthy snacks. One of the teachers doesn't even like the kids to have sweets or cake on celebration days, which I think is taking it a bit far.

cuddlepop
28-Mar-07, 20:17
Another one of those do as I say not as I do proposals.
What gets me is that a mother and toddlers I was visiting the kids had the healthy snacks and then went scrounching over to the mammies table for the biccies:eek: even at 2 they know whats yummy;)

JAWS
28-Mar-07, 20:41
Sorry, but children's diets are up to the parents, not teachers. How did humanity survive without these Control Freaks trying to interfere in every aspect of people's lives.

One thing they simply have not bothered to consider is that children who are forced to eat what they dislike when they are young invariably revolt as soon as they have the freedom to do so and turn their backs on it for the rest of their lives.

justine
28-Mar-07, 20:47
i wish it was as simple..Although i agree with you it is hard to get children to eat the same healthy stuff all the time, especially when they are small, as there taste buds change from 1 min to the next.....I find the best is to give a whole range of different foods, some healthy, some deemed as junk food, but i strictly hold off on the sugary sweets, fizzt drinks and chocolate.....They do get some "bad food" for treats now and then, and i found that the will eat pretty much what they are given....
but on a lighter note i would love to know if anyone has managed to get any child to eat a brussel sprout.yuch...

danc1ngwitch
28-Mar-07, 20:50
yes yes yes, i have. oh an i love the sprouts to yum yum. Tho most kids will not touch em

Victoria
28-Mar-07, 20:54
Sorry, but children's diets are up to the parents, not teachers. How did humanity survive without these Control Freaks trying to interfere in every aspect of people's lives.

One thing they simply have not bothered to consider is that children who are forced to eat what they dislike when they are young invariably revolt as soon as they have the freedom to do so and turn their backs on it for the rest of their lives.

Thats exactly what I did - got forced fed my lunch (which I didn't like) when I was 4 by a teacher. I don't even remember it but its affected me ever since

Cattach
28-Mar-07, 20:59
some schools are real strict on the healthy eating, yes faithfully children been taking fruits an healthy snacks. Dinners in school is way more healthy now an kids are encouraged to eat these meals. Well done, hands up hip hip hoorray!!! but behind the closed staff room doors pinned up is the local chip shops telephone number... ah well they may claim they purchase meats from there... but how do they explain box's of sweets... celebrations an such like.[lol] look out teachers our children gettin pay back... they gonna fix all u cheaters.:eek:

This one of those rubbish postings that totally misunderstands the whole healthy eating issue. Healthy eating is about sensible moderation and does not say that a teacher who HAS to teach about the subject and a school that HAS to have a healthy eating policy, dictated by the Scottish executive, cannot have free choice to eat what they like or advertise privately to staff in the staffroom what they like.

It is actually none of this poster's business what teachers eat nor what they pin up on the wall in their own private recreational area. As in any job the place where the staff take their break or lunch is their space.

I eat very healthily but I do have a fish supper, a chinese carried or a Big Mac from time to time. I have got the telephone number pinned up in my kitxchen for those places - this does not make me an unhealthy eater.

Get real poster!!!!

danc1ngwitch
28-Mar-07, 21:09
This one of those rubbish postings that totally misunderstands the whole healthy eating issue. Healthy eating is about sensible moderation and does not say that a teacher who HAS to teach about the subject and a school that HAS to have a healthy eating policy, dictated by the Scottish executive, cannot have free choice to eat what they like or advertise privately to staff in the staffroom what they like.

It is actually none of this poster's business what teachers eat nor what they pin up on the wall in their own private recreational area. As in any job the place where the staff take their break or lunch is their space.

I eat very healthily but I do have a fish supper, a chinese carried or a Big Mac from time to time. I have got the telephone number pinned up in my kitxchen for those places - this does not make me an unhealthy eater.

Get real poster!!!!:eek: oh oh oh my ( i can say no more ) u speak so clearly. now let me finish my soup im bored an u have worsend it ops speeelin ah well thats life build a bridge and walk over it lazily, in my case i will run over it[lol]

Ojibwa
28-Mar-07, 22:00
I think it's great that healthy eating is promoted at school, as I also encourage it at home. At my kids school, there is always a bowl of fruit in each classroom which is donated by a local grocery store. They also have soup, pasta & sandwich days where they get those things along with milk and a piece of fruit. However it is surprising how many parents send snacks such as sweets, chocolate puddings, & cookies.

My kids had always liked nearly all veggies including sprouts, until recently they seem to be getting more fussy, think it is just a stage though.

As long as kids are getting a nutricious, balanced diet, I don't think there is any harm in a treat. :)

Tristan
28-Mar-07, 22:05

Get real poster!!!!

Good post but you forgot to mention that healthy eating is not denying treats but eating in moderation. - enjoy a fish supper just not every night.
Not to mention that as an adult you are responsible for your diet, are considered responsible and you should know know about eating in moderation. Provided you do so there is nothing wrong with that as you said.
I see a lot of children, even now, walking down the street eating sweets at 8:30am.
So much for responsible parenting.
Nothing wrong with treats in moderation. As for teachers, children spend most of their time under the care of their parents, if anyone is responsible for their behavior and what they do, it is the parents.

Solus
28-Mar-07, 22:08
Got to agree with cattach, it is only up to the school to provide a healthy option for meal times and promote healthy eating via class teaching, high lighting whats good and whats not !

The staff at the school have a right to eat what they like during their meal break, and whatever is on their notice is board is entirely up to them.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Mar-07, 22:13
Rice pudding that stuck to yer ribs and mashed tattie that was a meal in itself.If it wisnae for ma three hours o fitbaw after school I don't think I would have managed ma tea.Always did though.

danc1ngwitch
29-Mar-07, 16:31
and sliced spam <<<<< anyone else recall sliced spam :eek: oh an the fritters yum yum, no one made fritters like our school cook years ago

Angela
29-Mar-07, 17:38
Thats exactly what I did - got forced fed my lunch (which I didn't like) when I was 4 by a teacher. I don't even remember it but its affected me ever since

Similar experience (longer ago though ;) ) - my teacher put me over her knee and spanked me in front of the whole class for not being able to eat my lunch....I was only 6 and I still remember it.

I was too ashamed and embarrassed to tell my mum - I think nowadays we'd have been taking the teacher to court. [evil]

changilass
29-Mar-07, 17:42
What kids have to eat and drink in schools impacts on what they will have at home. Our wee boy was happy enough drinking water most of the day and having juice with his tea, having been given juice at play group (he has only been there 4 days) he is now refusing to drink water and goes into a paddy when we don't give in to him and give him juice.

Teachers would have to be very carefull about what sweets they were givin out to children nowadays due to the amount of allergies about.

Cattach
30-Mar-07, 16:30
:eek: oh oh oh my ( i can say no more ) u speak so clearly. now let me finish my soup im bored an u have worsend it ops speeelin ah well thats life build a bridge and walk over it lazily, in my case i will run over it[lol]

Well done - you are making my point for me!!!!
PS Do not put too much salt on your soup, it is so unhealthy!!!!

Cattach
30-Mar-07, 16:34
What kids have to eat and drink in schools impacts on what they will have at home. Our wee boy was happy enough drinking water most of the day and having juice with his tea, having been given juice at play group (he has only been there 4 days) he is now refusing to drink water and goes into a paddy when we don't give in to him and give him juice.

Teachers would have to be very carefull about what sweets they were givin out to children nowadays due to the amount of allergies about.

Children's eating habits are well and truly formed before they get to school and probably well before Nursery. Parents often just give in to their children and give sweets or other so called goodies. The amount of time in school available to eat unhealthily is a tiny fraction of the time available within the family.

HAVE A GOOD LOOK IN THE PACKED LUNCHES CHILDREN TAKE TO SCHOOL (prepared by parents) - it will make your hair curl!!

danc1ngwitch
31-Mar-07, 20:59
Well done - you are making my point for me!!!!
PS Do not put too much salt on your soup, it is so unhealthy!!!!
I'm almost sure you go wea out,( not ) I find you cheeky and i think that you definately have a chip on your shoulder. Now i am plain talkin here and i think that you need to calm down, or you will end up makin me starve to death[lol]

Bobinovich
31-Mar-07, 23:14
We have a problem with our eldest. Due to being fed good well-cooked food at home he's tried, and turned up his nose at, most of the food on his school menu.

He regularly has packed lunches and that's fine because, under the previous temporary head teacher, the staff kept an eye on kids eating packed lunches to make sure that they ate a good proportion of their lunch. However the new head doesn't seem to follow this idea which is a shame, and he started coming back with just a bite out of his sandwich, uneaten fruit, etc.

So we've had to resort to one or two days having school dinner, one or two on packed lunch (with dire threats if he doesn't eat a fair part of it) and a day or two coming home for lunch where we can ensure he eats a decent amount.

*sigh* the joys of parenting :roll:

danc1ngwitch
01-Apr-07, 19:18
The Head in Castletown school, does a great job of looking out to make sure the children eat healthy in their packs. For the snack, children have to take healthy snack fruit or such like.
On a friday they are allowed to take say crisps, i think this works very well.
Alot of mums to begin with was all :roll: about this, you would hear oh my child like's his jammie dodgers, but he is not allowed them.
I think it's worked out well.