PDA

View Full Version : windows vista

spiggie
26-Mar-07, 19:07
anyone else having mega problems with compatability issues and windows vista?

octane
26-Mar-07, 19:33
Taken from my post in the Tech

Having done a load of beta testing for microsoft on the vista package i'd avoid it for at least a year until it smooths itself off. Probally 99% of the public don't even need it and it wont make any difference to what you are doing on your pc at the moment, such as browsing, gaming, and general documentation.

Because its a new product people automatically assume that its gonna lead to a better/trouble free computing life but it doesn't work like that.
I would advise NOT to go rushing out to either buy the operating system or upgrade your pc/laptop as of yet and to give it quite a bit of time for things to develop.

MadPict
26-Mar-07, 20:39
Hasn't Vista been in development for something like four years? They have obviously rushed the product out before it was ready.

Micro$oft eh?.......

Jospra
26-Mar-07, 20:57
It would be better to get the original version of Vista. I believe it is called Mac OS/X. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6YO30GhmQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6YO30GhmQ)

DarkAngel
26-Mar-07, 21:20
My friend has recently got a new computer with windows vista and she cant get her internet up and running as she needs some sort of special modem to go along with it!!

Cinders392
26-Mar-07, 23:17
My friend has recently got a new computer with windows vista and she cant get her internet up and running as she needs some sort of special modem to go along with it!!

My uncle has the same problem with a new computer he got. Cant get on the internet with vista.

Madpict hit the nail on the head!

MadPict
27-Mar-07, 00:04
...and Jospra cut to the chase...

Get a Mac...

bigjjuk
27-Mar-07, 08:20
If you bought a new pc/laptop, and cant access the internet, check the virus software that comes with your new pc, It is intitially set up to scan every page you click on into the internet and takes an age to get each page up, You will need to disable this part of the virus protection and still be covered.

Jospra
27-Mar-07, 08:51
...and Jospra cut to the chase...

Get a Mac...

Here's why (http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/) Look for the clips titled Restarting and Virus :lol:

robby50x
27-Mar-07, 15:18
do not go near windows vista nothing but trouble i have had it for about a month now still cant get on the internet with it its a disgrace that microsoft is allowed to sell products like these after about 4 years of work and it is still not working proper but i suppose it is not them that does the drivers for the internet so cant be 2 hard on them

Kaishowing
27-Mar-07, 15:45
What do you expect when Microsoft have most of the PC users at their mercy! They have pretty much carte blanche to do what they want and as users we just have to take it because not many are aware that there are other solutions out there.
You could buy a Mac (personally I miss mine as it was so easy to use), or you could switch from Windows to Linux. There are other OS versions out there, but Linux is the best known alternative.
I'm extremely wary of anything microsoft related, and wait at least a year after initial release before I think of getting it....basically because I don't trust microsoft.
A software company which over a 12 month period that had a broken firewall on their company website which totalled to almost three months all together, doesn't inspire confidence.

©Amethyst
27-Mar-07, 15:46
From what I'm reading here, I'm so glad I got my laptop 5 days before the release of Vista.

Why would they release and sell a product that doesn't work? Would the trading standards thingamy not have anything to say about it?

robby50x
27-Mar-07, 16:25
just wondering who has got a laptop that actually connects to the internet with windows vista and if so what isp are they using

Bloo
27-Mar-07, 16:28
I dont have it but can give you reasons why you shouldnt have got it.

1. Its to make everything look fancy
2. Do you really need it? sometimes its hard enough to find something on the PC[lol]
3. Alot of complaints have been made.

Colin Manson
27-Mar-07, 16:50
just wondering who has got a laptop that actually connects to the internet with windows vista and if so what isp are they using

My brother recently got a Laptop, I setup the wireless networking for him.

He is connected with Pipex Homecall and has had no problems with Vista at all.

octane
27-Mar-07, 17:17
Well going by when XP was first released on the 25th October 2001 it took until February 2003 until they released service pack 1 to help iron out all the problems, the next major release service pack 2 for came out on the 25th August 2004.

So do you think they will have a quicker response by bringing out service pack 1 for Vista??? Prob not!!!

Now its finally released and its pre-installed on your brand new laptop/pc or you've upgraded the general public are now the GUINEA PIGS.
There is gonna be a lot of complaints to either ISP's, manufacturers of modems, sound/gfx cards, software etc wondering why they are having problems.

These companies will then get onto microsoft with these concerns and it will take ages for MS to bundle all this info together and maybe bring out a patch here/patch there until they slowly get through the long list of probs.

As stated before stick with what you have just now whether its Linux or Xp, they are both stable operating systems.

Cattach
27-Mar-07, 17:45
From what I'm reading here, I'm so glad I got my laptop 5 days before the release of Vista.

Why would they release and sell a product that doesn't work? Would the trading standards thingamy not have anything to say about it?

I bought my new laptop from a company I have dealt with before on the internet and ask to have XP and not Vista fitted. Just buy a mag or two from the computer shelf in any newsagants and you will see the problems from the write up and letters.

It will take a few updates o iron out the problems. The use by thousands of users is much more testing than a system gets in development.

Also remember that one person may have no problem becuase they may have limited other software or lucky enough to have software install which does not clash with vista.

©Amethyst
27-Mar-07, 18:59
lol, mr A's cousin gave us a windows vista theme... looks much nicer than the xp one - but without the hastle of vista :) bliss

halkirk1
27-Mar-07, 20:53
Hi All,

Just read the post ref windows vista.

I've just bought a new dell pc and guess what, no broadband.

This is because Windows Vista is not compatible with USB Modems, regardless of who your broadband provider is.

I ended up phoning AOL threatening to leave, and they dropped my monthly charge by £8 and gave me a free wireless ethernet modem router, at least I'm now back online.

So far I've had to buy a new printer (or else wait 4 months for my printer manufacturer to release a vista driver) and my pocket pc is now redundant as it is not compatible with vista (even though this runs on Microsoft windows pocket)!

Half of my software won't run on vista including my firewall software zonealarm so I'm having to use the truly awful windows firewall until zonelabs release a vista compatible product.

Give me XP anyday!

Bobinovich
27-Mar-07, 23:11
I am dealing with many customers who are having similar problems, although so far all are manufacturer installs of Vista and not customer upgrades. I'm recommending to stick with whatever operating system you're currently running (for now anyway) as it's probably going to be better than Vista in it's current state!

I'll be perfectly honest, for most users there's really no benefit in upgrading to Vista yet anyway - it doesn't really offer many benefits for your average user who is typing letters, surfing the net & e-mailing.

Personally I hate how Microsoft have moved things about, renamed core components (for no obvious benefit other than to confuse), and generally hidden more things away from the users - it's going to take quite a bit of getting used to and searching around for those who likes to get in about the guts of their PC.

For those who are stuck with it and cannot get their broadband working I'd recommend getting a ADSL modem/router which does not have the same problems as current USB ADSL modems or, for those with wireless laptops, use a wireless ADSL modem/router.

simpsoney
28-Mar-07, 12:31
I bought a new laptop with windows Vista a few weeks ago and i have set it up to a wireless network and i have no problems accesing my broad band. I did have a message coming up saying "driver blocked due to compatability issuses" but i sorted that out after updating the drivers.

spiggie
28-Mar-07, 16:20

that's exactly what's happened to me - and neither can i get my printer, scanner to work either. Is this just a con to make us buy new?

spiggie
28-Mar-07, 16:27
do not go near windows vista nothing but trouble i have had it for about a month now still cant get on the internet with it its a disgrace that microsoft is allowed to sell products like these after about 4 years of work and it is still not working proper but i suppose it is not them that does the drivers for the internet so cant be 2 hard on them

not too hard on them? They've got it made! I spent 4hrs on the phone to dell trying to sort the problem, 2hrs on the phone to aol, 1hr to net gear, finally all agreed it was a microsoft problem. Phoned microsoft and guess what - they'll help you for £40.00 I said no thanks. so i'm still not on the net with my new computer.