PDA

View Full Version : green slime and blue rinse

rich
26-Mar-07, 17:14
On a recent visit to Wick my brother and I observed that green slime - or should it be algae or moss- is flourishing on the roofs of some abandoned fishery buildings. It is a very peculiar shade of green - almost phosphoresent.
Subsequent perusal of Wick revealed the slime is a advancing across the rooftops.
Could it be an alien life form?
We also discovered what is clearly the number one engine of economic growth in the North of Scotland. The whole region has an inordinate number of hair dressing salons. Perhaps they are keeping pace with the record number of bad hair days in the North. Consider the fate of the Caithness coiffure - a few gusts of gale force wind and the whole thing is flattened like an ill built stookie.
The alternative is to pile on the hair laquer a la Baroness Thatcher. But the whole towering edifice then slides to whatever direction the wind is blowing. I call it the Marge Simpson Effect.
A friend in Edinburgh told me that the reason for this proliferation of hairdressers can be laid to social workers. It's part of a huge programme to rescue people who might be falling through the cracks of society.
(Although nobody is trying to rescue me!) When young women hovering on the brink of moral and economic collapse are asked what profession could offer the possibility of rescue most reply I WANT TO BE A BEAUTICIAN!
And if I might strike a chord of indignation, regret and deep, deep disappointment - THE BAR AT THE STATION HOTEL IN THURSO HAS BEEN WRECKED.
Anyone looking for a brewski or two is ushered into this windowless, lounge area filled with overstuffed ugly furniture.
There is no place for farmers and collie dogs.
No welcoming bar stool for folk of a meditative, poetic turn of mind like myself
I ask the citizens of Thurso how could you let this happen?
There is nothing I can do but I do predict an eviction - on economic grounds of the dozens of hair styling emporia littering the county. I will not raise a finger to save them.
And I am praying for the invasion of the Station Hotel Lounge Bar by green slime.