PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question

Cinders392
24-Mar-07, 20:22
Does anyone know what Sutherland is shortened to when it is used as a first name? I know of a two people in Caithness with this name and was going to phone one guy up but I didnt want to alarm him. Have been trying to look on the internet but no luck.
Any info would help me sleep better at night!:lol:

Jeemag_USA
24-Mar-07, 21:03
Does anyone know what Sutherland is shortened to when it is used as a first name? I know of a two people in Caithness with this name and was going to phone one guy up but I didnt want to alarm him. Have been trying to look on the internet but no luck.
Any info would help me sleep better at night!:lol:

I have never come across anyone having Sutherland as a first name. But the words "Sooty", "Sutter" and possibly "Suthy" come to mind? Maybe Sutts or Sudds as well.

Cinders392
24-Mar-07, 21:13
God I never thought of them, I came up with sukey or sue! Couldnt think. It is more an american male name but I have heard of 2 men with this name.

Jeemag_USA
24-Mar-07, 21:15
God I never thought of them, I came up with sukey or sue! Couldnt think. It is more an american male name but I have heard of 2 men with this name.

Ah ok, I am going by what they might be nikcnamed in Caithness. I think I have seen Sudds used a nickname a couple of times whoise last name is Sutherland, its probably the most obvious one. And I think the best. Sudds or Suddsy.

the charlatans
24-Mar-07, 21:15
i have an uncle and a cousin with this as a first name. i think its very 'strong' name and suits them both down to the ground. we even considered it for a first name for our own son.

shortened, it could be Suthers or Suthy.

kenimac1
24-Mar-07, 21:58
I have a friend who is known as Suther.

Torvaig
25-Mar-07, 01:50
Summers is used as an alternative to Sutherland as a Christian name.

The_man_from_del_monte
25-Mar-07, 02:36
Seth? Sump? Shat? Shlong? who knows? Sutherland is a strange first name :eek:

Hi I'm Sutherland Smith :Razz

Torvaig
25-Mar-07, 03:02
Seth? Sump? Shat? Shlong? who knows? Sutherland is a strange first name

Hi I'm Sutherland Smith

Then there at least two of you; the one I know is called Summers Smith! ;)

Many of you will remember the identical twins who, some time ago, worked in the local ironmongers in Wick. Sutherland worked in R.S. Waters and Hugh worked in D.R. Simpsons and it was pretty confusing when you went to both shops in the same day!

Cinders392
25-Mar-07, 09:09
Seth? Sump? Shat? Shlong? who knows? Sutherland is a strange first name :eek:

Hi I'm Sutherland Smith :Razz

Your the guy I was going to phone!!! The place you live is a weirder name. Aelart? You dont get called sumpy?

Cinders392
25-Mar-07, 09:14
Then there at least two of you; the one I know is called Summers Smith! ;)

Many of you will remember the identical twins who, some time ago, worked in the local ironmongers in Wick. Sutherland worked in R.S. Waters and Hugh worked in D.R. Simpsons and it was pretty confusing when you went to both shops in the same day!

The other SUtherland I know in the county is a Sutherland Mowat who has a brother, Hugh Mowat? It was him who got me thinking of naming the bairn this as the Bairns Surname will be Mowat. My partner has finally come round to the name after 4 months! He was wanting to call the bairn hector!

Royster1911
25-Mar-07, 09:56
Ah ok, I am going by what they might be nikcnamed in Caithness. I think I have seen Sudds used a nickname a couple of times whoise last name is Sutherland, its probably the most obvious one. And I think the best. Sudds or Suddsy.

Knew a few in the army, They were all called Sudds. Used last three numbers to identify them:Razz

Torvaig
25-Mar-07, 11:40
Your the guy I was going to phone!!! The place you live is a weirder name. Aelart? You dont get called sumpy?

If "TMFDM" was really the person you were going to phone, he's coy about his real age! ;)

Cinders392
25-Mar-07, 11:42
Knew a few in the army, They were all called Sudds. Used last three numbers to identify them:Razz

Their surname must have been Sutherland. I had the same problem as Mackay is very common. So I was Mackay 92!

Cinders392
25-Mar-07, 11:50
If "TMFDM" was really the person you were going to phone, he's coy about his real age! ;)

A little white lie never hurt anyone. There cant be many sutherland smiths in the county. Def him.

caroline
25-Mar-07, 12:06
I have Sutherland as christian name but it is female Sutherland Miller in my family tree. Also have Sinclair as christian name think the family may have worked for the Sinclair's but do not know how Sutherland comes about anyone with ideas.

Torvaig
25-Mar-07, 12:18
A little white lie never hurt anyone. There cant be many sutherland smiths in the county. Def him.

Nah..... hid's no him! :lol: Ask when you phone "your" Sutherland Smith!

Torvaig
25-Mar-07, 13:03
Having Sutherland as a female christian name could have been after someone who meant a lot to the family or maybe it was after the county as a fond reminder? Just as many folk who left the dear homeland called the new settlements elsewhere after places in Scotland, so it would be with names.

There are lots of examples around the world.

Cormack is another surname used as a christian name though often spelt Cormac. Also Fraser, Innes, James, Morrice, Nicholl, Paul, Ronald, Farquhar, Manson, Thomas, Harrold, Steven, Innes, Fraser, John.......

Jeemag_USA
25-Mar-07, 13:38
Having Sutherland as a female christian name could have been after someone who meant a lot to the family or maybe it was after the county as a fond reminder? Just as many folk who left the dear homeland called the new settlements elsewhere after places in Scotland, so it would be with names.

There are lots of examples around the world.

Cormack is another surname used as a christian name though often spelt Cormac. Also Fraser, Innes, James, Morrice, Nicholl, Paul, Ronald, Farquhar, Manson, Thomas, Harrold, Steven, Innes, Fraser, John.......

Cormac is a christian name predominantly in Ireland where the name comes from, which is often used as a surname in the North of Scotland. Cormack is a corruption of MacCormac as it travelled from Cork up the west coast and islands to the Orkneys and Caithness (MacCormac, MacCormaig, MacCormack, Cormaig, Cormack) Not known for sure but the Mac was probably dropped in norse controlled areas over long period of time as they do not use the gaelic way of using Mac or Mc. But easy to confuse it, its not a surname used as a christian name, its a christian name used as a surname. Also Ronald, Innes, Farquar, James, Paul and some others there are christian names that have been used as surnames and not the other way round.

Jeemag_USA
25-Mar-07, 13:43
The other SUtherland I know in the county is a Sutherland Mowat who has a brother, Hugh Mowat? It was him who got me thinking of naming the bairn this as the Bairns Surname will be Mowat. My partner has finally come round to the name after 4 months! He was wanting to call the bairn hector!

I have always thought if I have another son, I would like to call him Kenzie, I am not sure if that would suit a girl or not though. I always thought it was funny there is so many McKenzie's about but you never see someone called Kenzie. I think its a cool name, so if I have a boy he will be called Kenzie Cormack ;)

Cinders392
25-Mar-07, 15:41
I have always thought if I have another son, I would like to call him Kenzie, I am not sure if that would suit a girl or not though. I always thought it was funny there is so many McKenzie's about but you never see someone called Kenzie. I think its a cool name, so if I have a boy he will be called Kenzie Cormack ;)

Kenzie is nice but its getting common, there is the guy from big brother. It is said to be more female name but can be used for both. There is loads of mackenzies. I have never seen Sutherland before and I dont know what flavour of baby Im having but its going to be Sutherland either way. Mowat is said to be a sept of the Sutherland clan and the Mackays were first established in Durness in the 13th Century. Which is in Sutherland

Royster1911
25-Mar-07, 15:58

Boy or Girl, what a great name.

Torvaig
25-Mar-07, 16:16
"But easy to confuse it, its not a surname used as a christian name, its a christian name used as a surname. Also Ronald, Innes, Farquar, James, Paul and some others there are christian names that have been used as surnames and not the other way round."

Jeemag, I wasn't confused, just pointing out that there are several names used as both but I can see how I may have confused your good self (and of course others) with my wording. :D