PDA

View Full Version : Caithness not a county

badger
25-Sep-14, 15:53
Forgive my ignorance but until today I was under the impression that Caithness was a county. It is used regularly in postal addresses (although the choice is usually Highland in online databases). I see now it is only a former county reduced to a ward management area according to a document on the Council website or a registration county whatever that is. According to wikipedia it stopped being a county around 1890. I feel rather sad. Same applies to Sutherland and presumably all others swallowed up in Highland.

donss
25-Sep-14, 16:47
Caithness (and Sutherland) was a County until 1975, when it became one of eight districts in the Highland region.
Then things wend downhill....
I'm sure you'll find that most people born & brought up in Caithness still do, and always will, think of Caithness
(and Sutherland, or is that Sutherlandshire?, amongst other Highland Councils) as a County....
That's what I think anyway. :-)

Alrock
25-Sep-14, 17:02
What!!!! Caithness not a county!!!!!

Next you'll be telling me that Scotland is not a Country but rather just an administrative district of Englandshire...

George Brims
25-Sep-14, 18:09
What!!!! Caithness not a county!!!!!

Next you'll be telling me that Scotland is not a Country but rather just an administrative district of Englandshire...
Actually Alrock, according to my Encyclopedia Britannica, "Constitutionally, England does not exist", since it is simply an area of the UK without any separate powers devolved from the UK Government. Scotland, Wales and N Ireland are countries by this definition since they have devolved powers and separate legislative assemblies. It's my favorite passage in the whole set of books.

Shaggy
25-Sep-14, 21:35
"Constitutionally, England does not exist"

Shhh.....don't tell the 55%!

Rheghead
25-Sep-14, 21:36
I was under the understanding that the old counties still exist but they are managed by local government in the administrative area called Highland.

Shaggy
26-Sep-14, 12:37
found this info on e net

Caithness was a large county in the extreme north of the mainland of Scotland. The county comprised the ten parishes of Bower, Canisbay, Dunnet, Halkirk, Latheron, Olrig, Reay, Thurso (landward and burgh), Watten, and Wick (landward and burgh). It also included the burghs of Thurso, Wick and Pulteneytown (until its amalgamation with Wick in 1902). Caithness County Council was established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, taking over powers from the Commissioners of Supply, County Road Trust, and other local authorities. The County Council was abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973, and the former county became part of Highland Region. The current local authority is the Highland Council.

Gronnuck
26-Sep-14, 13:28
Caithness is a county. Administratively it might be part of something else and called something else but for much of the community it is still Caithness.

Mr Z
26-Sep-14, 15:14
Lets not mess about here- Caithness is Gods Country -end of!

Kenn
26-Sep-14, 21:55
I knew the councils had merged but never realised the title had changed. I'm not moving, I intend to stay put in Caithness, county of or not.

badger
27-Sep-14, 13:23
Delighted to see Cllr. Rosie is call for powers to be brought back to Caithness. I can't believe how things have changed even in the time I've lived here. Caithness should be a county and Highland a region.

Hoggie
04-Oct-14, 23:26
Caithness is a county as ever it was, whatever Wrongipedia likes to say. There's a brief summary on this on the Association of British Counties website:
http://county-wise.org.uk/counties/frequently-asked-questions/

The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 abolished all "counties" that had been created by the 1889 Act (whose areas were not the same as the traditional counties) - it never said anything about abolishing the ancient counties, and no Act has done.

Rheghead
05-Oct-14, 11:45
Delighted to see Cllr. Rosie is call for powers to be brought back to Caithness. I can't believe how things have changed even in the time I've lived here. Caithness should be a county and Highland a region.

Oh the irony...