PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Greenhouse

Sam87
16-Sep-14, 10:33
Hello Everybody,
I'm a new Member here, my Name is Sam. Actually I was looking for some new travelling areas when I'm visiting my family & friends up here.
But now I've got an order from my lovely aunt to search for a greenhouse in the web because even google is mystery for her. :D

Over the summer I visited her in the highlands to help her with her really big garden. We were that busy that she wants to expand it with the greenhouse for the next summer.
I guess some members in this community may have a little more knowledge about that. It should be moderate to big sized and also quite affordable.

So I would be very thankful for any recommendations or ideas!

Thanks already :)

Loona90
17-Sep-14, 07:40
Hey Sam, I'm also new but when I'm travelling through Caithness with my grandma we always look for nice attractions in the nature. Things that inspires me for my garden home like the John Lennon Memorial Garden or the Dunrobin Castle.
Personally I'm the owner of a nice greenhouse on my property. It's also quite big - it looks like this:
http://www.r-zs.com/fileadmin/Bilder/Raumloesungen_Jonas/Umwelt/FACE_2020_4.png (source (http://www.r-zs.com/))
But I don't have as many plants as on the pic :D

I hope you can imagine and see this as an approach for your research, I wish you a nice summer next year! :P
Best regards, Loona

Sam87
17-Sep-14, 10:25
Hey hello and welcome Loona,
That's what I'm searching for, maybe more rustic but it's a good approach i nterms of size.
I should inform myself about the prize, that is also a key point for my aunt :)

Loona90
18-Sep-14, 13:10
Oh I'm glad to hear that I take you forward in your search.
Yeah my example looks like you have to pay for quality but it's only a suggestion...
So furthermore I wish you good luck and a nice day :)

matthewkevin
28-Nov-14, 13:01
Thanks for this thread. I have learned more about how to make green house. I want more information about this.

Canopy Tree Surgery (http://canopytree.com.au/services)

Khloe
09-Dec-14, 05:03
How's this greenhouse project going on? I believe greenhouse isn't a cheap project. But, it would be nice to hear about affordable ways on this one.

Mother Superior
29-Dec-14, 19:46
Hello Sam. I recommend the plastic greenhouse/tunnel we have in the convent garden. It is 3m x 2m and very easy to put up in the spring and you can take it down before the wintry weather arrives. If you google - Gardman Polytunnel you will find some pictures and suppliers (Charlies Direct is a good supplier). The cost is around £79 which is much cheaper than a greenhouse. We grow tomatoes and salads in the tunnel and, if you string a line up, you can even hang some washing up in there if it starts to rain!
Good Luck and God Bless.

gardeninginagale
31-Jan-15, 22:59
Firstly, Sam, hello and welcome. Sorry for such a belated reply.

In Caithness, you will always be better with a polytunnel than a greenhouse. Polytunnels are areodynamically designed to allow storm force winds to flow over them. The wind pressure actually helps push the down and stay intact. Green or Glass houses are designed for shetlered places. Lets stop using the term greenhouse, because it can refer to either. It is either a glasshouse or a polytunnel. Ina storm force wind, with a polytunnel, the worst that will happen is a ripped cover, which is apain to replace, but not too expensive. With a glasshouse, you end up with shards of shattered glass not only in your garden, but also in the gardens of all your neighbiours. That's not a good situation.

A polytunnel is a fraction of the cost of a glasshouse. Site it correctly and give it some shelter from the prevailing winds. I have a small tunnel with a cover that was guaranteed for 3 years. With careful siting and good maintenance, it is now 10 years old. The Mother Superior (post above) is right, except for the taking down in winter bit. If you choose a polytunnel, you concrete in the supports, you use pressure treated timbers for the framework, and you make sure that everything other than the cover will last a lifetime. That's the secret for a polytunnel.