PDA

View Full Version : Mey Village Shop

billrose
03-Sep-14, 14:29
The Mey Village shop will be closing permanently from the end of September.

Closing down sale will take place between now and then with many items reduced.

Kodiak
03-Sep-14, 16:11
Sad to hear this news as I am sure lots of people will miss this shop.

Moira
03-Sep-14, 20:55
So sorry to hear this. I'm a Wick "townie" but can appreciate the effort you've put in to keep this rural, local, shop going for so long. All best.

Heisenberg
03-Sep-14, 21:32
The Mey Village shop will be closing permanently from the end of September.Closing down sale will take place between now and then with many items reduced. what is the reason for the shop closing, it seems a shame, although people can't generally afford to support small rural shops as they usually charge a lot more than supermarkets.

Gronnuck
03-Sep-14, 23:30
The adage, “use it or lose it” might apply but I’ve only been in the ‘shop’ once in over five years. It’s a wee room at the back of the pub and didn't carry a great deal of stock. OH has been in a few times and little had changed. Most working people will pick up what they need on their way to and from work either in Wick or Thurso. Tesco deliveries and friendly neighbours ensure that no one goes without in our community. I can understand why the shop is closing, the owners have got a hotel to manage, guests to look after and a bar to run. I would think they’ve got enough to keep them busy.

David Banks
04-Sep-14, 00:48
The Mey Village shop will be closing permanently from the end of September.

Closing down sale will take place between now and then with many items reduced.

So, Bill Rose, you are (apparently) in Mey. Have you been there long enough to remember Tina Begg in the Mey shop?

joxville
04-Sep-14, 08:17
Or Tina Soup? ;-)

joxville
04-Sep-14, 08:22
I occasionally delivered bread etc. to the shop when I worked for Johnston's Bakery, the staff were always friendly, even early in the morning; I'm sorry to hear its closing.

neilsermk1
04-Sep-14, 12:18
I occasionally delivered bread etc. to the shop when I worked for Johnston's Bakery, the staff were always friendly, even early in the morning; I'm sorry to hear its closing.
Always sad to hear of local shops and services closing down, not as if you can just nip into Wick or Thurso when you run out of something.
Jox, I also worked for Johnston's bakery delivering stuff throughout the county when were you there?

joxville
04-Sep-14, 14:21
Hi Neilsermk1, I was there from July '91 to Feb '02. Although it wasn't the paying job I had, I can honestly say it was the best place I worked. I was always busy which helped the day go quick, and the banter, (and pranks), was brilliant. :-)

budgeJ
04-Sep-14, 16:05
I thought the locals had stopped going to the hotel in its entirety, never mind the shop bit ?

euan the driver
04-Sep-14, 22:31
sad too hear the wee local shop is closing but gronnuck is right in saying friendly little community we live in an indeed help each other out if caught short

neilsermk1
04-Sep-14, 22:35
Jox, I was there in the early 70's when Ma Johnston ruled the roost and drove everywhere in her MG.
The craic was brill even then, especially at Christmas and new year when the deliveries were manic

billrose
05-Sep-14, 15:01
I thought the locals had stopped going to the hotel in its entirety, never mind the shop bit ?

That answers the question raised by Heisenberg, but we did try to keep prices down by buying price marked items and in many cases these are less than the big supermarkets, but we do understand that we are only good for small amounts of shopping and were open until 10 or later every night for last minute emergencies. Isn't this supportive local community wonderful?

sids
05-Sep-14, 18:01
Isn't this supportive local community wonderful?

How did that sort of sarcasm go down with the clientele?

Gronnuck
05-Sep-14, 18:55
Isn't this supportive local community wonderful?

I have always found the people of Scarfskerry and Mey to be wonderfully supportive; we have a great community hereabouts. I don't know what you're blethering about billrose, but if someone has upset you, surely it's time to put it behind you and crack on.

billrose
05-Sep-14, 22:28
If only you knew the truth! We are putting it behind us and cracking on by closing the shop.

Heisenberg
05-Sep-14, 22:46
If only you knew the truth! We are putting it behind us and cracking on by closing the shop. Yes, if only we knew, perhaps you could stop with the secret hidden messages and tell us.

budgeJ
06-Sep-14, 08:51
we did try to keep prices down

It wasn't the prices that needed pegged, but your attitude to people did.

billrose
06-Sep-14, 11:45
It wasn't the prices that needed pegged, but your attitude to people did.
Perhaps you should identify yourself before making such comments??

sids
06-Sep-14, 12:55
Perhaps you should identify yourself before making such comments??

I bet it's J Budge, under a cunning poseidonym.

Get round there and sort her out. And anyone else who criticises your obviously lovely attitude!