PDA

View Full Version : Pocket money for kids.

Rheghead
28-Jun-14, 18:14
How much to give, when to give and should it be earned? It is so complicated and then there is the accusations of being stingie or overly generous. I have just seen a recommended value of £1.38 for a 7 year old but that seems overly stingie to me, even I got a £1 over 30 years ago!

Does anybody have some sensible suggestions or experiences? :D

mi16
28-Jun-14, 21:03
How much to give, when to give and should it be earned? It is so complicated and then there is the accusations of being stingie or overly generous. I have just seen a recommended value of £1.38 for a 7 year old but that seems overly stingie to me, even I got a £1 over 30 years ago!Does anybody have some sensible suggestions or experiences? :DMy 6 year old gets £3, you won't get much for £1.38

LMS
28-Jun-14, 21:27
£1.38 is quite sufficient, especially if the little blighter is doing nothing about the house.

Southern-Gal
28-Jun-14, 21:59
My son is ten. He gets 50p per day so £3.50 per week but he is taxed if he does not help out when asked and also keep his room fairly tidy. It is surprising how reducing or stopping the money for a week makes him keener to help out!

Dadie
28-Jun-14, 23:35
Depends on what they get given to them ..magazines, games, sweets, extra activities etc that does not come out the given pocket money.
An extra £1 which can be spent/saved up and spent on whatever she likes is plenty for my 8 yo as she gets plenty over a week through the "extras" that she doesnt really need money of her own...though the "extras" are stopped if behaviour is bad.
My 6 yo doesnt understand the value of money yet and its nice for her to think £1 is lots and lots of money and she doesnt get pocket money yet...