PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Miss?

ashaw1
10-Mar-07, 12:39
We moved up to Caithness from Edinburgh at the end of last year and have settled in well. The only thing i miss is the brown sauce from the chippy. Can't quite get used to salt & vinegar. It sounds horrible, a runny mixture of brown sauce and vinegar but boy it tasted good! I just wondered if those of you have also moved here from other areas also missed some of your regional treats.

golach
10-Mar-07, 12:45
We moved up to Caithness from Edinburgh at the end of last year and have settled in well. The only thing i miss is the brown sauce from the chippy. Can't quite get used to salt & vinegar. It sounds horrible, a runny mixture of brown sauce and vinegar but boy it tasted good! I just wondered if those of you have also moved here from other areas also missed some of your regional treats.
I have lived in Edinburgh for approx 45 years now and I am the opposite of you ashaw1, I have never been able to take to the chippy sauce, its a purely Edinburgh thing :lol:
I am definately a salt an vinegar person.

j4bberw0ck
10-Mar-07, 12:48
Mushy peas. Warm flat beer - Abbot, Ruddles County and the like served from a traditional beer engine. Being able to get across to France for a weekend wander on the bike.

And absolutely nothing else at all. :cool:

nicnak
10-Mar-07, 12:51
Hollands meat and potato pies, Hollands cheese and onion pies and also their steak and kidney puddings with chips, mushy peas and gravy, I dont know what it is about Caithness but I have never had a decent pie here - I mean what is kind of pie is macaroni cheese????

Dusty
10-Mar-07, 13:05
I remember holidays in Thurso when I was a kid and we always brought back a "Fry o' Fish" from Scrabster and pies from "The Pie Shop".
If memory serves correctly, the Pie Shop was owned and run by two sisters and was located near the Post Office on Sinclair Street (could it be where the Indian Resaurant is now?). The pies were quite small in diameter compared with our local pies but were taller and the pastry was some kind of shortcrust I think. The meat filling was delicious and the pies were like nothing else we had experienced.
My mouth's watering now just remembering them still warm from the oven. Mmmmmmm Pie Shop pies....

Dusty.

pentlander
10-Mar-07, 13:05
Hollands meat and potato pies, Hollands cheese and onion pies and also their steak and kidney puddings with chips, mushy peas and gravy, I dont know what it is about Caithness but I have never had a decent pie here - I mean what is kind of pie is macaroni cheese????
Im afraid caithness does not do chippies very well. They can cook it ok but just have some strange ideas. Why deep fry a pie? Plus why does everything have to have batter on it?
Could be worse, the deep fried Pizzas that used to be available in the borders were the worst cullinary creation I have ever witnessed.
I miss going to the match most of all.

happy_83
10-Mar-07, 18:45

Takeaway burgers! We had a little takeaway that did the best burgers (nothing like macdonalds, burger king etc) i've ever had, with salad and chips. They also did the nicest pizzas aswell. :D

Cattach
10-Mar-07, 19:12
Im afraid caithness does not do chippies very well. They can cook it ok but just have some strange ideas. Why deep fry a pie? Plus why does everything have to have batter on it?
Could be worse, the deep fried Pizzas that used to be available in the borders were the worst cullinary creation I have ever witnessed.
I miss going to the match most of all.

It is the batter that makes the fish - great with a good batter and Reids in Thurso is worth a try.

justine
10-Mar-07, 19:50
hi there.... We moved up to caithness 3 yrs ago from manchester and i have to say i really do miss the "pudding, chips, mushy peas and gravy," served in a plastic tray and plastic fork. Would love to taste them but i like it up here to much to go back, but next time i go down i will certainly be getting one.....:lol: :roll: but the angus beef sold in the portland arms makes up for the loss....

cmack
10-Mar-07, 19:53

is that the famous "shawt and shauce" as they say?? i have only ever tried it once, and it is soooooooo good!

The_man_from_del_monte
10-Mar-07, 21:18
Doner kebabs, spare ribs, chicken wings, Jamaican patties, curried goat.... just a few of the takeaway items I miss :Razz

badger
10-Mar-07, 21:29
A really good Saturday Farmers Market. I used to live near one of the best in the country and it was something to look forward to. Live music and other entertainment, craft stalls of all kinds and the food - organic, locally grown everything you can possibly imagine. Meat, veg., fruit, cheese, eggs, wine, preserves, hot food stalls with delicious home cooking, cookery demonstrations sometimes with a local chef. It was such fun and a wonderful atmosphere. We did have a covered market which helped and would certainly be needed up here. Oh how I miss it.

sweetpea
10-Mar-07, 21:37
Inverness Caley.....say no more

cuddlepop
10-Mar-07, 21:51
Nardini.s ice cream.
The cafe's all closed up now and in the process of being demolished but the memory still lingers.:(

neepnipper
10-Mar-07, 23:18
Big, chunky Cornish (or Devon) pasties.

Pick your own fruit farms, long hot summers (or so they seemed) picking delicious strawberries and raspberries and eating as many as we picked!

cuddlepop
10-Mar-07, 23:21

Pick your own fruit farms, long hot summers (or so they seemed) picking delicious strawberries and raspberries and eating as many as we picked!
Oh you've brought back memories of strawberry and raspberry picking for the home made jam dad use to make.
Summers seemed like summers then :)

sweetpea
10-Mar-07, 23:27

Yes pick your own farms. I used to go summer in Perth when I was kid and me and my cousin used to go near Dundee and oick strawberries, but we would eat faster than we could pick. Remember tatie picking as well. Pay was as many tatties as you could carry home. I used to drop them all and my granny would make me go back looking for them.???? now I throw them away all the time

Bobinovich
10-Mar-07, 23:37

Ahhh, memories flood back of a great holiday in Blairgowrie...

Cinders392
10-Mar-07, 23:47
They can cook it ok but just have some strange ideas. Why deep fry a pie? Plus why does everything have to have batter on it?

You are worried about the deep fried pies! When I was young it was the deep fried snickers and mars bars. I honestly cant beleive I made it through my younger years without a heart attack!
I have also heard of deep fried cream eggs. Someone else (in peaches in dempster street) for deep fried maltesers! He was told where to go with that one. Peaches is now a chinese surprisingly enough

Ricco
11-Mar-07, 11:57
I miss the people and the countryside. But if its about food... I miss the chippy and the bridies. The only decent pasties are from one shop in Dartmouth - the rest are cattle-fodder. And I don't think that most English chippies are worth visiting (there are some exceptions, such as one in Winchester and one in Looe, Cornwall.

_Ju_
11-Mar-07, 12:08
Coal fire grilled bream, bass, black scabard fish, squid (without ink), cherne (sorry don't know the name in english...it's a white fish), SARDINESSSSSSSSS (oh I miss those soooooo much) with plain boiled potato and a salad of lettuce, tomato, grilled peppers (coal fire barbacue, off course) and thick rings of onion. All seasoned ONLY with olive oil and lemon.

Cockels cooked a la Porto: dash of olive oil in a pot, with onions sliced into thin rings that are cooked till soft. Add in a glass of white wine and cook off the alcohol. Add in the cockels put on lid and raise the heat so they get hot quickly (only 2 minutes and they are cooked). Switch off heat and add the fresh chopped coriander (tons of it!) and lid again for 2 minutes. Pour onto a comunal plate and serve with cold white wine and sour dough bread to sop un the sauces....... I think you can all tell I love sea food and fish.

For a sea side nation there are very little varieties of fish for sale and they are filleted to oblivion, so the only thing you can do with them is fry them up. I heard that this year was excellent for squid fishing up here, but I haven't seen a squid at any of the fish places. I suppose that is because there is no market....:(

moonshadow
11-Mar-07, 14:10
i moved here from london, and i miss having a tasty kebab. i dont do take-away much these days as partly cos its unhealthy and partly cos the take-aways up here are absolutly yuck. i once ordered a kebab in wick and i was asked would i like chilli sauce with it (which i love on kebabs) and what was offered as chilli sauce did not even have any chilli in. it was just tomato pulp. [evil]

i also miss green trees. any tree i do see always looks half dead and twisted up.

decent markets selling handmade products, car boot sales (as opposed to these daft things indoors called carboot sales -why not just say what it is.. a jumble sale). culteral events that dont cost an arm and a leg just to get through the gates.
i could go on.........

Oddquine
11-Mar-07, 15:24
I don't miss anything but my family.

I didn't come up here to get more of the same, but something different.

big red
11-Mar-07, 15:50
We moved up here in 1991 and the only thing i miss is, good old Killie Pies. They are the best pies in the world. mind you ,everything else up here is magic, from its food to its people. I've never met such a friendly bunch and i've never regretted the move. Thanks all you Wickers.

Victoria
11-Mar-07, 15:58
jeeze theres a lot of people missing Pies up there!!!!

maybe when I move up i'll open a pie shop! [lol]

Max
11-Mar-07, 16:40
Nardini.s ice cream.
The cafe's all closed up now and in the process of being demolished but the memory still lingers.

stekar
11-Mar-07, 16:48
Seabrooks crisps, never see them up here. Lot nicer than Walkers.

nicnak
11-Mar-07, 17:28
You can get Seabrooks crisps at Morrisons, Alness, and they even will sell them by the box full, alternatively you can order them on line direct from seabrooks at the same price see the link below:
http://www.seabrookcrisps.com/orderform.htm

Jeemag_USA
11-Mar-07, 17:36
What I miss of Caithness and UK is .....

Big plate mince and tatties with mushy peas!
Sausage Rolls
I miss Caffrey's Cream Ale because you can't get it here.
Doner Kebabs, best ones I ever had were in Edinburgh and Macclesfield
Chips and Gravy and Chips and Curry Sauce
IRN BRU (there is a bar here I can get it at but its $4 a small bottle)
King Rib Suppers or any supper for that matter!
Smoked Haddies
Real Tea in a bag that tastes like Tea!

Oh and I love the Edinburgh brown sauce ,its wicked! You can easy make it its just HP and malt vinegar.

pentlander
12-Mar-07, 09:50
Seabrooks crisps, never see them up here. Lot nicer than Walkers.
Can get seabrooks crisps in Mackays grocers in Thurso. The'll order a box in for you if you want.

stekar
12-Mar-07, 11:29
Ooo, thanks nicnak and pentlander. My mouth's watering thinking about their yummy crisps!

grantyg
13-Mar-07, 15:38
Can get seabrooks crisps in Mackays grocers in Thurso. The'll order a box in for you if you want.

Seabrookes offer a delivery service! my mum ordered me a box!

http://www.seabrookcrisps.co.uk/

well blinking worth every penny!

On the chippy sauce front PM if you want a bottle as I know a few places that sell it by the (irn Bru glass bottle full) and we are due up in summer and at xmas so I`ll see if I can arrange a wick shipment for all those edinburghers!!!!

CCT
13-Mar-07, 16:31
There is very little I miss in the USA (except family). One item is minced or diced clams in tins, for making linguine with clam sauce. Can't find that anywhere, in the shops or online. Everything else I can find, although locating bags of popcorn, unpopped, and not for the microwave, turned into a mission.
Oh, and I do miss visiting the U-Pick strawberry farms in south Florida ... two days before Christmas. :)