PDA

View Full Version : New Member researching Miller and Oag families

subadger@iinet.net.au
10-Mar-07, 09:58
Hello from Australia!
I know there are a large number of Miller families in Wick, but I'm hoping someone recognises mine.:o)
My great-grandfather was Murdoch Miller a stone mason baptised 1841, son of Andrew Miller and Margaret McKenzie (she was born in Assynt Sutherland). He married Jane Oag in 1865 and they had 11 children: -
Andrew (my grand-father who moved to Grimsby Lincolnshire), Barbara, Murdoch, George, Donald, Alexander, William, Margaret, James, David and Jane, all born in Wick between 1866 and 1885.
Barbara, Donald, Alexander and William all died young.
I would love to get in touch with descendents of the others.

Thanks for a great forum, I have learnt so much about the Caithness area from reading other posts.

Regards
Sue

lynn prow
10-Mar-07, 13:28
Hello to another Oag descendant.

Lots of them Janet Oag is a decendant of Alexander Oag and Elspet Farquhar my 5 gg grandparents and I think gg grandparents to 1000's of people.

Janet Oag is my 2nd cousin 3 times removed and I also live in Australia. South Australia which part of Oz are you in.

I do not have Murdoch Millers parents but also have lots of Millers.

good luck if I can be of any help happy to share info you are probably a distant cousin

cheers

Lynn

subadger@iinet.net.au
11-Mar-07, 11:49

Lots of them Janet Oag is a decendant of Alexander Oag and Elspet Farquhar my 5 gg grandparents and I think gg grandparents to 1000's of people.

Janet Oag is my 2nd cousin 3 times removed and I also live in Australia. South Australia which part of Oz are you in.

good luck if I can be of any help happy to share info you are probably a distant cousin

cheers

Lynn
Lovely to hear so quickly from another Aussie Oag descendent!

"My" Jane Oag was at various times called Janet and Jean but she was the daughter of William Oag and Katherine More and was born in 1837. (although she took ten years off her age on some census )

Regards
Sue - in sunny Western Australia

Tricia
12-Mar-07, 14:57
Hi Sue
I have William Oag and Catherine More's daughter Jean/Jane Oag b 1837 m to William Bruce;

Marriage Cert Scotlandspeople.gov.uk
SCT 043 17 Dec 1879 Wick 043 pg 27 53
Satus Groom: Widower - Fisherman
Status Bride: Widow
Parents: Donald Bruce , Gen Labourer, and Janet Sutherland .
William Oag- Fisherman(Dec) and Catherine More
Minister: Finlay M Harper Free Church
Witness: George Swanson Margaret Bruce

Jane Oag b 1837 Wick is my 2C3R

Can't help with your Jane..... there were several b around that time.
I am sure someone else will have data - if your don't get a response from here I can perhaps put you in touch with a contact.

Tricia
born a MORE in Wick.

lynn prow
14-Mar-07, 10:13
Hi Sue

This is getting confusing when I first replied I thought your Murdoch Miller married Jane Oag daughter of William Oag and Alexanderina Miller. I don't think the dates fit.

Who are the parents of Jane? I will have a look at my Oags and see where they fit it in.

How is the weather your end of Australia we had a hot day today but only 29 tomorrow still no rain.

cheers

Lynn

subadger@iinet.net.au
07-Apr-07, 09:09
Hi Sue

This is getting confusing when I first replied I thought your Murdoch Miller married Jane Oag daughter of William Oag and Alexanderina Miller. I don't think the dates fit.

Who are the parents of Jane? I will have a look at my Oags and see where they fit it in.

How is the weather your end of Australia we had a hot day today but only 29 tomorrow still no rain.

cheers

Lynn

I think I have been getting my Jane's confused.
According to Murdoch and Jane's marriage certificate, Jane Oag's parents were William Oag, Pensioner , deceased and Elizabeth McFarlane, domestic worker. Jane claims to be 19, however later on in various census she adds 10 years to her age.
I haven't been able to find any baptism for a Jane daughter of William and Elizabeth, neither have I been able to find her in the 1851 or 1861 census. In the other census she claims to have been born in Wick.
I have been chasing the wrong tree with Jane the daughter of William Oag and Catherine More.
If you have any information on finding my Jane I would be grateful.

Regards
Sue

Tricia
07-Apr-07, 17:23
Sue
I have your Jane Oag in 1871 1881 1891 with husband Murdoch Miller and family - have you got it already.
In 1871 in WICK census it says she was born Thurso.
MILLER Murdoch Head M M 30 Mill Lab. CAI Olrig
MILLER Jane Oag Wife M F 25 Do Wife CAI Thurso
MILLER Andrew Son O M 5 Scholar CAI Wick
MILLER Murdoch Son O M 11m O CAI Wick

Then in 1851 in Wick there is a suitable Jane OGG born 1845 in Thurso staying with a sister Barbara OGG and her mother Eliz and stepfather George Thomson. Could this be your Jane - was her mother married before or was her mother an Oag herself (she would be b c 1827). Where do you have the Elizabeth MCfarlane info?

Name: Jane Ogg
Estimated birth year: abt 1845
Relationship: Wife's Daur (Step Daughter)
Mother's name: Eliza
Where born: Thurso, Caithness
Parish Number: 43
Civil parish: Wick
County: Caithness
Address: N Bilbster
ED: 3A
Page: 25 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 95
Line: 4
Roll: CSSCT1851_10
Household Members: Name Age
Barbara Ogg 4
Jane Ogg 6
Eliza Thomson 24
George Thomson 42
Georgina Thomson 1 1 Mo
Matilda Thomson 7

in 1861 Census - this family shows as all THOMSON surname - in N Bilbster Wick - Jane shown as born Wick here but her mother Thurso!!!.
THOMSON George Head M M 55 Chelsea Pensioner CAI Wick
THOMSON Elizabeth Wife M F 33 O CAI Thurso
THOMSON Matilda Daur U F 17 O CAI Wick
THOMSON Jane Daur U F 16 O CAI Wick
THOMSON Barbara Daur U F 14 Scholar CAI Wick
THOMSON Georgina Daur U F 11 Scholar CAI Wick

Louisburgh St Wick
THOMSON George Head M M 67 Chelsea Pensioner CAI Wick 1804
THOMSON Elisabeth Wife M F 42 Do Wife CAI Th 1829
THOMSON Georgina Daur M F 21 Sailor's Wife CAI Wick 1850

Happy to help if I can.
Tricia

subadger@iinet.net.au
08-Apr-07, 09:02
Sue
I have your Jane Oag in 1871 1881 1891 with husband Murdoch Miller and family - have you got it already.
In 1871 in WICK census it says she was born Thurso.
MILLER Murdoch Head M M 30 Mill Lab. CAI Olrig
MILLER Jane Oag Wife M F 25 Do Wife CAI Thurso
MILLER Andrew Son O M 5 Scholar CAI Wick
MILLER Murdoch Son O M 11m O CAI Wick

Then in 1851 in Wick there is a suitable Jane OGG born 1845 in Thurso staying with a sister Barbara OGG and her mother Eliz and stepfather George Thomson. Could this be your Jane - was her mother married before or was her mother an Oag herself (she would be b c 1827). Where do you have the Elizabeth MCfarlane info?

Name: Jane Ogg
Estimated birth year: abt 1845
Relationship: Wife's Daur (Step Daughter)
Mother's name: Eliza
Where born: Thurso, Caithness
Parish Number: 43
Civil parish: Wick
County: Caithness
Address: N Bilbster
ED: 3A
Page: 25 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 95
Line: 4
Roll: CSSCT1851_10
Household Members: Name Age
Barbara Ogg 4
Jane Ogg 6
Eliza Thomson 24
George Thomson 42
Georgina Thomson 1 1 Mo
Matilda Thomson 7

in 1861 Census - this family shows as all THOMSON surname - in N Bilbster Wick - Jane shown as born Wick here but her mother Thurso!!!.
THOMSON George Head M M 55 Chelsea Pensioner CAI Wick
THOMSON Elizabeth Wife M F 33 O CAI Thurso
THOMSON Matilda Daur U F 17 O CAI Wick
THOMSON Jane Daur U F 16 O CAI Wick
THOMSON Barbara Daur U F 14 Scholar CAI Wick
THOMSON Georgina Daur U F 11 Scholar CAI Wick

Louisburgh St Wick
THOMSON George Head M M 67 Chelsea Pensioner CAI Wick 1804
THOMSON Elisabeth Wife M F 42 Do Wife CAI Th 1829
THOMSON Georgina Daur M F 21 Sailor's Wife CAI Wick 1850

Happy to help if I can.
Tricia

Tricia
thank you so much. I do have the Census from 1871 onwards but hadn't been able to find Jane in earlier ones. I think you have found her for me or at least given me something to work on.
Her mothers name is actually Elizabeth McGregor not McFarlane, or at least Jane's marriage certificate says so. Not sure which William Oag/Ogg is supposed to be her father.
Thank you so much for giving me a new lead - I'm really excited about this!

Regards
Sue

domino
10-Jan-08, 22:06
Andrew Miller an Margaret Mckenzie were my ggrandparents their daughter Christina married my ggrandfather David Sutherland
frank

eric41
11-Jan-08, 18:00

cheers

Lynn

Good morning
I have both Alexander Oag and Elspeth Farquhar and a Janet Oag, but have not been able to tie them together. Could you explain. Much appreciated

Eric