PDA

View Full Version : Grandad. used to say...............

susie
14-Jun-14, 11:17
My grandad used to say, "What's nothing times by nothing?"

We used to jump up and down shouting, " it's nothing grandad, it's nothing!"

Then he would say," Well now you're wrong...... it's OXO!

We used to double up at that.

Here is something else he used to say if he thought someone was slacking or lacking in confidence ( I wonder if you've ever heard it anywhere).

I'd rather be a could be than a could've been by far,

For a could be is a may be with a chance of touching par.

I'd rather be a has been than a might've been by far,

For a might've been has never been, but a has was once an are.

Go on now, tell us what gems your Grandfolk say/said.

If you do I promise to tell you about Grandad and his colostomy bags!!!!!!!!!

Sandra_B
14-Jun-14, 16:35
My granny used to say "better an old man's darling than a young man's slave". I used to wonder what it meant. Then I got married...Husbands grandfather decided he needed to go on a diet. He saw Slim Fast advertised on the telly and wanted to give it a go. After a few weeks he was asked how the diet was going and he was most indignant to report he had put on weight! A few questions later we discovered he had been having his shake with his breakfast, a shake with his lunch and a shake with his dinner. When it was explained how it worked he couldn't believe it, he'd starve on that. :-)

r.rackstraw
14-Jun-14, 21:30
'Fools and Bairns should see nothing half done'
Very true!

squidge
14-Jun-14, 21:44
Not my Grandad - I don't remember either of them but My Uncle Sam....

We loved going to see Uncle Sam and Aunty Mattie, they had really cool stuff we didn't have at home, like a stool with steps that pulled out of it, long colourful spells for lighting the gas fire, ash trays with bean bags and a plastic tea dispenser... He used to tease my sister and I.

My mum had a friend called "Giselle" and every time we went he would ask us, "How is your Aunty Chanel?" "GISELLE" we would cry, and then we would try as hard as we could to help him to learn "Giselle". We never succeeded... No matter how hard we tried and we would be so sad about it.

When I moved to Caithness my mum told me that Uncle Sam loved Caithness and regularly made the journey from Manchester to John O Groats on his motorbike in the 1930's. It must have been some journey. No motorways, much of it single track and Uncle Sam, whizzing along on his bike. I loved the idea that he would have seen seen pretty much the same view as I did when he came into Groats, over the brow of the hill to see the Pentland Firth stretching out in front of him.

Bless him, we loved him very much.