PDA

View Full Version : jasper Sutherland-Braemore

lassieinfife
07-Apr-05, 16:00
Can anyone help with information regarding Jasper Sutherland single frmer who died at Braemore on 16th March 1954 aged 80 yrs. His death certificate was signed by his second cousin James R Sutherland of Achnahavish[ please excuse bad spelling but certificate none to clear]
I know that David's parents were David and Elizabeth MacKay.. the puzzle is that I have Jasper Sutherlands in my family tree and as this is such an un usual name think he might be related but dont know how. Any Sutherlands still at Breamore or Achnahavish or both derelict now?

Another puzzle is an ordinary seamann Jasper Sutherland 23 from Scotland who served on H.M.S Victory at the battle of Trafalgar with Admiral Nelson in 1805 is he to one of my ancestors....once again they name to unusual for it just to be a chance . or is it?

fred
09-Apr-05, 10:51
Can anyone help with information regarding Jasper Sutherland single frmer who died at Braemore on 16th March 1954 aged 80 yrs. His death certificate was signed by his second cousin James R Sutherland of Achnahavish[ please excuse bad spelling but certificate none to clear]
I know that David's parents were David and Elizabeth MacKay.. the puzzle is that I have Jasper Sutherlands in my family tree and as this is such an un usual name think he might be related but dont know how. Any Sutherlands still at Breamore or Achnahavish or both derelict now?

There are Sutherlands just about everywhere, it's hard to walk three paces without falling over one.

Caithness Monuments shows Jaspers date of death as 11/3/1954 aged 78, he also had a sister Margaret died 2/12/1958 aged 78 and a brother David died 26/12/1911 aged 39 or
33 (some grave stones are quite worn). His mother died 6/3/1928 aged 80.

I found a Jasper Sutherland in the 1841 census living at Mid Clyth.

lassieinfife
09-Apr-05, 18:55
Hi Fred,
Thanx for information you posted, will have to look into it further.
Re:Jasper Sutherland 1841 census was he living alone and does it by any chance give his age and occupation

I know what you mean by sutherlands everywhere i keep stumbling over them each way I turn :lol: :p

fred
09-Apr-05, 22:42
Hi Fred,
Thanx for information you posted, will have to look into it further.
Re:Jasper Sutherland 1841 census was he living alone and does it by any chance give his age and occupation

Here is the entry, the 1841 census rounded down the ages of people over 16 to the
nearest 5 years unfortunately.

However a quick search on the Church of the Latterday Saints web site shows he
was born 6/7/1799 and his fathers name was John or in 1800 and that's all we know.

They also have a record of a marriage to Jane Gunn 26/3/1840, Jane and Jean are
almost certainly the same person, just different spellings.

District: 8 Folio: 0 Page: 11
Address: Mid Clyth

SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Jasper M 40 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Jean F 30 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Christain F 5m Caithness