PDA

View Full Version : The internet is a dangerous place...

Humerous Vegetable
19-May-14, 16:51
I recently posted on the Chat Room about the Better Together meeting in Wick, where I made an unfortunate remark about taking a camera to see how many people attended, because the BBC and other main stream media have inflated their numbers in this debate. I was then subjected to threats of physical violence (baseball bats and having a camera tripod inserted into my "nether regions") some of which have now been removed. When I posted the link on Twitter, I was immediately inundated with posts from ambluence-chasing solicitors, trying to get me to sue somebody. I could probably sue Ducati or the Org, but why would I want to?

Ducati is quite politically naive, and a mouthpiece for the Tory party. Most of us recognise that on here, and don't really have a problem with it, until he descends to threats of physical abuse. The Org is poorly moderated, which we also recognise, who have been on here for 8 years or more, but it is mostly a good website and reasonably fair to participants.

However, I am going to try my best not to participate in any other political debate on here, because there are many better moderated websites for this kind of discussion, and I think there is nothing much to gain from an open-minded debate of the pros and cons in Caithness.

sids
19-May-14, 18:28
I recently posted on the Chat Room about the Better Together meeting in Wick, where I made an unfortunate remark about taking a camera to see how many people attended, because the BBC and other main stream media have inflated their numbers in this debate. I was then subjected to threats of physical violence (baseball bats and having a camera tripod inserted into my "nether regions") some of which have now been removed. When I posted the link on Twitter, I was immediately inundated with posts from ambluence-chasing solicitors, trying to get me to sue somebody. I could probably sue Ducati or the Org, but why would I want to?

Ducati is quite politically naive, and a mouthpiece for the Tory party. Most of us recognise that on here, and don't really have a problem with it, until he descends to threats of physical abuse. The Org is poorly moderated, which we also recognise, who have been on here for 8 years or more, but it is mostly a good website and reasonably fair to participants.

However, I am going to try my best not to participate in any other political debate on here, because there are many better moderated websites for this kind of discussion, and I think there is nothing much to gain from an open-minded debate of the pros and cons in Caithness.

Which of your nether regions have been removed?

ducati
19-May-14, 18:50
Quote Humerous Vegetable: "I'll be there with my camera to see how many turn up".

If you are going to set yourself up as the Nationalist Stasi, you are probably going to want to grow a pair.:roll:

mi16
19-May-14, 19:32
So where was the danger?Why would you want to photograph the attendees at a better together meeting?Have you not got a life to be getting on with?

squidge
20-May-14, 00:16
It is common practice to video and photograph debates and meetings of both sides. This is generally because the numbers are either inflated or because one side says the other did this or said something. After a series of accusations of lies being told at Better Together meetings and unacceptable behaviour at YES meetings - both of which was strenuously denied it has become the norm for meetings to be filmed or photographed.

What I find is that as a YES campaigner, blogger and WFI member I have been subjected to what I would generously dismiss as "a slagging" on many occasions. It also seems that even elected representatives for anti- independence parties are doing the "we know where you live" stuff. There is so utterly no need for this. I shall miss Ducati, I enjoyed the discussions but I am sorry sorry sorry humerous vegetable was left worried for their safety. It's not funny and it's not acceptable. Let's not get carried away online in a way we wouldn't in real life.