PDA

View Full Version : Mini Moto Racing

caithnesslad
07-Mar-07, 12:34
Was just speaking to a few of the boys and were still on about mini moto racing.. I don't have a bike myself as i just sold 3 italian race mini moto's but they are great fun!
If anyone could do anything about it i would be sure to buy another half descent one for racing,We used to do it at the glass factory in wick and there used to be loads of bikes there at the weekend! at least 10 usually.
They were with adults in cars aswell in all the protective gear and there were no injuries,So if anyone could do anything about this.. even one day every weekend just for fun would be excellent! I was told that we we're allowed on the glass factory on sundays so me and a few of the boys went up.. it was the first time i had ridden my blata elite and it was good fun just for the sunday.. so please if anyone could organise anything a lot of people would be greatfull as i know lots of kids and adults have these around town! Thanks and let me know :D

rfr10
07-Mar-07, 17:17
If you are keen enough, you and the other bikers you know could apply for money from the Big Lottery Fund to receive funding to set up a Mini Moto track somewhere. If you want more information on the Big Lottery Fund or The Young People's Fund, just let me know and I'll provide you with information. I was going to try and do this a while ago however, there were problems trying to fund insurance and a suitable place is also a problem. If you really search and have enough enthusiasm, I'm sure you could do something.

If it's just an event you wish to organise, to go to an existing mini moto track and you need funding for expenses including transport, just let me know and I'll give you some advice on funding and who to apply to for funding.

Penelope Pitstop
07-Mar-07, 17:27
Was just speaking to a few of the boys and were still on about mini moto racing.. I don't have a bike myself as i just sold 3 italian race mini moto's but they are great fun!
If anyone could do anything about it i would be sure to buy another half descent one for racing,We used to do it at the glass factory in wick and there used to be loads of bikes there at the weekend! at least 10 usually.
They were with adults in cars aswell in all the protective gear and there were no injuries,So if anyone could do anything about this.. even one day every weekend just for fun would be excellent! I was told that we we're allowed on the glass factory on sundays so me and a few of the boys went up.. it was the first time i had ridden my blata elite and it was good fun just for the sunday.. so please if anyone could organise anything a lot of people would be greatfull as i know lots of kids and adults have these around town! Thanks and let me know :D

I can sympathise with you looking for somewhere to run your motos, but I think you'll it difficult. The problem usually comes from insurance implications.

If something happens to one of you when riding on someone elses ground then the person who kindly let you use their ground could be sued. I believe something similar to this happened at the old drome in Castletown many moons ago.)

Not sure how you could get round it....good luck.

caithnesslad
07-Mar-07, 23:43
Yeah wouldn't mind it would be something to do... Not as if they need any money from the lottery fund just permission for the glass factory and a few names asked would suit most of them lol.

Bill Fernie
08-Mar-07, 21:46
I think the Glass Factory will no longer a possibility now that businesses are setting up in the building. At least two are already operating from the premises.

Anyone using these bikes should also consider insurance cover as any accidents with a third party could cause a serious lawsuit with substantial claims for damages if anyone is injured. does nayone have information on inusring young people on these bikes? Can they get it and how much does it cost?

caithnesslad
09-Mar-07, 23:52
Yeah there's loads of tracks down in england but there seem to be next to none up here.. i speak to loads of the people that race them down there, they seem to be very competitive but they are a lot of fun... would be quite keen on getting a few races in the easter holidays even.. just whatever anyone could organise anywhere would be very greatfull... thanks!

rfr10
10-Mar-07, 00:51
Haven't found any info on insurance but I have found this.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5234468.stm

caithnesslad
10-Mar-07, 20:24
I believe what you found is a load of .... for a start the bike the guy is riding in the pic is a chinese mini moto and would be lucky to do 30mph let alone 60 mph! And the chinese one's are toys not propper racing machines [lol]

Its not all that important just wanted to know if there was somewhere we could ride or race in the holidays.. cheers

caithnesslad
13-Mar-07, 00:24
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/KrysElite/MyRSRProddy.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/KrysElite/NewRSR.jpg

ŠAmethyst
13-Mar-07, 01:27
When I lived in Inverness, we had a lot of problems with mini moto's racing on our street after dark. No proper lighting... no insurance... no safety gear. I heard that the police confiscated a bike or two until the owners could provide proof that they'd got insurance. Don't know how much truth is in that, but I think that insurance is very wise, and having a designated area for these machines would keep residential areas quiet and therefore give the police less work (not to mention it'll give racers a lesser chance of being bothered by police) etc.

caithnesslad
13-Mar-07, 23:03
Yeah very good point... Just anywhere will do the trick... I'm planning racing maybe in aberdeen in the holidays if nobody can arrange a piece of free land.

brandy
13-Mar-07, 23:21
well i tell you what.. i almost ran over a little boy the other day.. just below malcoms shop on kinnard street.. he was riding one right down the middle of the road.. not looking where he was going.. waving at mates on the pavment.
its a wonder he didnt go under the car..
all i can say its a good thing I was watching WHERE I was going!

ŠAmethyst
14-Mar-07, 11:38
well i tell you what.. i almost ran over a little boy the other day.. just below malcoms shop on kinnard street.. he was riding one right down the middle of the road.. not looking where he was going.. waving at mates on the pavment.
its a wonder he didnt go under the car..
all i can say its a good thing I was watching WHERE I was going!

OMG... maybe the police or someone ought to run a safety course for these things!

Solus
14-Mar-07, 14:14
Firstly hi folks, my first post here !

Caithnesslad, if you need any help trying to get this sort of thing off the ground i would be willing to help out, unfortunatly i am only in the process of moving back to Thurso after a long period away living in the big smoke ( it sucks ) and hope to be up by June.

Anyways, firstly i would get in touch with your local councillor to see if they can put some of their weight behind such a venture, talk to the police ( community officer) and get them on side, using the train of thought "gets the mimi moto's off the streets, orginised meets, properly supervised etc "

Look for areas that maybe suitable for racing, large unused carparks( most are not used on sundays or late evenings. Did Dounreay not have a Landing strip ? if so i doubt it is used very often, worth knocking on their door to do their bit for the community.
Only downside of a venture like this is that it becomes a club and would need some form of insurance, it would need funding either by membership and other ways, ie grants etc

Also while i am here is there a motorcycle club on the go, looking to meet up with other folks for ride outs ?

caithnesslad
14-Mar-07, 17:28
Well i must say it's pretty stupid taking one on the main road as it is very illegal and very life threatening... there's my point if anyone would let people use some free land,even cones or tires etc could make a track no problem like you say once a week on a sunday would be good, jus gives something to do :)

QUADBIKER
14-Mar-07, 21:25
The police have powers to seize and retain any motor vehicle used on a road without any valid insurance. If the owner wishes to reclaim the vehicle they have to produce a valid certificate of insurance for the vehicle and proof of ownership. They also have to pay a recovery fee and storage costs. The police have already used these powers and will continue to do so in Caithness if you are on the road illegally you know what the consequences will be.

brandy
14-Mar-07, 21:43
yeah but tell that to cheeky 10-13 year olds.. *grrrrr* what are their parents thinking!
im not usually gurney about things like this as i do remember being a kid and having go carts.. and the like.
we use to ride them in parking lots and dirt tracks..
but this little brat was on kinnard street where theres loads of traffic!
i felt like slamming on my brakes jusmping out the car and giving him a good shake..
but then i would be in jail *grins*
and unable to complain on here!

caithnesslad
16-Mar-07, 16:18
Aww right yeah its pretty stupid attempting to ride one with busy traffic! Thats why there should be a track and a place to take it as my bike is too fast for anywhere and anyone in caithness lol! ;)