PDA

View Full Version : Help with Paypal Please!!

Rheghead
03-Mar-07, 01:53
I got an email from Paypal to say that I have changed my email address, I haven't, and that I should contact Paypal customer services on this url, (fake address removed by rheggy for security reasons) can anyone verify that this site is genuine??

Thanks in advance, the site looks convincing except the first part of the url.:confused [para]

Julia
03-Mar-07, 01:56
Ignore it! They try this one with me every now and again, it's a spoof. I would forward the whole email inc. headers to PayPal for their attention.

I just checked out the url, and my browser (firefox) states it has been reported as a 'web forgery' phishing for your info

sweetpea
03-Mar-07, 01:57
Delete. It's not true.

sassylass
03-Mar-07, 01:57
You should always type in the Paypal URL yourself, never click on a link. Contact Paypal directly and ask them what's going on, you might end up reporting that suspicious email.

Rheghead
03-Mar-07, 02:08
Thanks everyone indeed! I was nearly duped by that, doh. I will forward it on to paypal, cheers

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 02:16
Never respond to an "update your details" e-mail request from "anybody".

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 02:18
Thanks everyone indeed! I was nearly duped by that, doh. I will forward it on to paypal, cheers

They've known about this for years.

Piglet
03-Mar-07, 03:09
Just ignore it. If you log in to Paypal they will have a note on account to ask you to verify it. It aint worth clicking on the link. Report it !!!

kitty
03-Mar-07, 03:19
Go directly to the paypal site. I got an email about 6 months ago saying that i'd bought an engine for a honda for a couple thousand dollars. luckily enuf it was one of my sensible nights and i contacted paypal direct by typing their name into the addy bar and reported what had happend and changed my password. i've never had anymore trouble since. if an email asks for any details such as password or bank details it's wrong. if they need to reset a password they'll send you an email

hobbes1962
03-Mar-07, 07:24
Another one that's been doing the rounds is supposedly from Ebay saying

"whoever has started non payment proceedings, please click on the link to view"

Do not click on the link! I just forward them all to spoof@ebay.co.uk and all of the ones that I have sent them have been confirmed as not coming from them.

©Amethyst
03-Mar-07, 13:03
They've known about this for years.

If no one reports it to them then they may assume that the problem has been sorted when it hasn't. (appologies for the alliteration, wasn't intended

So whether or not they've known about it for however long, it's still worthwhile reporting it.

Also, if everyone actually reported it paypal would then be able to figure out the scale of the problem.

sam
03-Mar-07, 13:06
I got an email from Paypal to say that I have changed my email address, I haven't, and that I should contact Paypal customer services on this url, (fake address removed by rheggy for security reasons) can anyone verify that this site is genuine??

Thanks in advance, the site looks convincing except the first part of the url.:confused [para]

send the email to the paypal spoof department & they will confirm that it is false for you, i recieve them all the time.

bobsgirl
03-Mar-07, 14:19
I have noticed that with Ebay and Paypal, when they send a genuine email to you they usually put your username. If it is a spoof then the usually say something like Dear Ebay Member or Dear Paypal Member. Just to let you know for future reference.

MagicalTrevor
03-Mar-07, 15:24
I tried to buy a guitar on ebay once. I won the auction and sent the guy my £67 on paypal. Then he unregistered his account and ran with my cash not sending the guitar! Ebay said they could do nothing about it!!!!!!!

Surely I should scam someone out of £67 to restore karma?

Kaishowing
03-Mar-07, 16:01
Not sure if Paypal have the same system....But I know that if EBay send you any official email, there'll be a copy of it within your EBay account messages.
I've had some dodgy emails from people pretending to be from Paypal and Ebay in the past, and some of them have been very convincing to look at.
Never click any link within these emails to get to either of the sites....get to them as you normally would.
If you have even the slightest doubt, report them, you'll be doing yourself and fellow Palyal and EBayer users a favour.

Bobinovich
03-Mar-07, 16:21
I tried to buy a guitar on ebay once. I won the auction and sent the guy my £67 on paypal. Then he unregistered his account and ran with my cash not sending the guitar! Ebay said they could do nothing about it!!!!!!!

What was their feedback like? I'm very wary about dealing with anyone with a low feedback score or who has negative feedback left against them.

Torvaig
03-Mar-07, 16:31

Your claim should be against Paypal. They should not have released the money until you acknowledged safe receipt of item; at least that is my understanding of the reason Paypal exists. :confused

©Amethyst
03-Mar-07, 16:50

Paypal cannot stop this from happening. Ebay SHOULD be able to do something about it - I thought they had a strict policy and/or procedure for this sort of thing.

bobsgirl
03-Mar-07, 23:03

I had the same done to me from someone on Ebay. Luckily I never lost out on as much money as you did.
I reported the member to ebay for not paying, I then got an email saying they would look into it. A couple of weeks later I did get a slight refund of money but only the postage cost that I had paid for. Ebay then cancelled the persons account.
I would not say cancelling the account was necessary as I am sure they would just log in under another name now (hopefully being a bit more careful about buying and selling).

Just report it and see what happens.

stekar
04-Mar-07, 22:08
I've had three e-mails in the last week stating that a new e-mail address has been added to my paypal account, and if I didn't agree with it to click on the link. Deleted them straight away. The new e-mail address was different each time.

robglysen
05-Mar-07, 19:40
The one that got me was a spoof email saying I hadn't sent some guy the goods and he was calling me all sorts of names, I was so angry I clicked the link and replied!!
Next day I changed my password, I've been building PCs for years and am extremely cumputer literate, but that one caught me out as it really made me angry!!
I never lost anything thankfully, I wish the internet were policed better.

Hold your mouse over the link and check out the address that comes up, if in doubt, go to www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and log in and check your messages and things. Same with ebay.co.uk.

Penelope Pitstop
05-Mar-07, 20:24
I have noticed that with Ebay and Paypal, when they send a genuine email to you they usually put your username. If it is a spoof then the usually say something like Dear Ebay Member or Dear Paypal Member. Just to let you know for future reference.
You took the words out of my mouth bobsgirl:D . Paypal say that if they send you an e-mail they will ALWAYS use the name registered with Paypal. The message will NEVER read Dear Customer, Dear Colleague, Dear friend, etc. etc.

I have had quite a few spoof e-mails, I just forward them on to Paypal spoof department. They then send you back confirmation that it is spoof. Always delete them off your computer.

scorrie
06-Mar-07, 00:50
I had a hoax email once. Supposed to be from eBay and asking that I confirm my userid and password. The link to the site for this was false but one of the links in the email actually took you to eBay. I clicked on that one, thinking my reply was going to the hoaxer. I enter the simple message, "Go flock yourself" (or words to that effect)

Later I was embarrassed to receive an email from eBay confirming (very politely) that I had, indeed, reported a spoof email!!

Woops!!

Victoria
06-Mar-07, 15:46
I get these damn things ALL the time its so annoying!