PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Caithness Vol. 1

jackie
02-Mar-07, 21:20
HI has anyone got this book? Can you tell me a little about it if you do have a copy handy? This is what the write up says on it:
From 1855 compulsory registration has been in force in Scotland, and records are maintained by the Registrar General of all births, marriage and deaths in the county. Post-1855 inscriptions have been recorded here if they mention a surname appearing also on an adjacent pre-1855 stone, and for some of the smaller burial grounds, all inscriptions have been recorded.

This book is intended to be of help to those interested in Scottish genealogical research. It is a record of all known pre-1855 accessible inscriptions in this region.

Burial Grounds covered are: Canisbay, Canisbay Extension, Dunnet, Corsback, Olrig, Bower.

I would like to know if anyone has it if there are any Simpson's listed in the Canisbay section. Thanks for any help. Jackie

Oddquine
02-Mar-07, 21:48
I have all four MI books.

Appears to be around 11 Simpsons in the old part of Canisbay Churchyard and two in the Extension.

Who are you looking for?

jackie
03-Mar-07, 18:58
HI, I am looking for a Matthew Simpson + Margaret Waters but I am not sure that they will be there, if you could give me a list of all of those Simpson's that would be wonderful. Do you have a scanner? It might be easier to email me at my home jaxs29@shaw.ca, if you like. thanks so much.

Are those books available at the Wick Library? I am coming home in Sept and thought maybe I could pick them up if they are available.

Thanks
Jackie

Oddquine
03-Mar-07, 22:34
I think they are in the Library reference section...........and certainly in the Archives upstairs.

You can buy them online, or in the paper shop in Wick when you get back.

I'll email with the list.................can't find the names you gave in volume one at all, though...but I'll check the others.

jackie
03-Mar-07, 22:36
Thanks, I would imagine that not all of the names were recorded. And my luck is that none of my earlier forefathers were recorded at all. Oh well that is the life of doing your family tree! Thanks again
Jackie

Oddquine
03-Mar-07, 22:45
Thanks, I would imagine that not all of the names were recorded. And my luck is that none of my earlier forefathers were recorded at all. Oh well that is the life of doing your family tree! Thanks again
Jackie

When you come up, I think you can arrange to have a look at or get them to check the lair info through the council.................all not being in the MI's shows is that there is no stone still standing and readable.