PDA

View Full Version : Houstons prices

connieb19
02-Mar-07, 20:49
My pal was in Houstons the other day and bought a sausage supper and 4 pancakes...£5.44. :eek: It reminded me of the last time i was there and for 2 sausage rolls and 4 rolls it was nearly £3. Is it jut me or are these ridiculous prices? :confused

sam
02-Mar-07, 20:56
My pal was in Houstons the other day and bought a sausage supper and 4 pancakes...£5.44. :eek: It reminded me of the last time i was there and for 2 sausage rolls and 4 rolls it was nearly £3. Is it jut me or are these ridiculous prices?

lol were the sausages made from prime steak:eek:

buggyracer
02-Mar-07, 20:56
My pal was in Houstons the other day and bought a sausage supper and 4 pancakes...£5.44. :eek: It reminded me of the last time i was there and for 2 sausage rolls and 4 rolls it was nearly £3. Is it jut me or are these ridiculous prices? :confused

about the price you would pay for a mcdonalds, would you still complain if it came to wick i doubt it?

connieb19
02-Mar-07, 20:59
about the price you would pay for a mcdonalds, would you still complain if it came to wick i doubt it?I wouldnt eat a Macdonalds if you paid me to. :confused

connieb19
02-Mar-07, 21:01
Forgot to say that this was take-away not eating in.

Julia
02-Mar-07, 21:02
The last time I bought 2 finger doughnuts from there it set me back £1.60, I nearly fell over :eek:

Haven't been in the shop since, still in shock I think LOL

Billy Boy
02-Mar-07, 21:06
My pal was in Houstons the other day and bought a sausage supper and 4 pancakes...£5.44. :eek: It reminded me of the last time i was there and for 2 sausage rolls and 4 rolls it was nearly £3. Is it jut me or are these ridiculous prices?

lol tell your friend to stop being a skinflint and if they are watching their pennies tell them they should of gone to tesco and filled their cupboards with pancakes for that amount:Razz

Fluff
02-Mar-07, 21:39
and how were they? were they good?

down here to get something like that any cheaper would mean it tasted, well, bad!

Fran
03-Mar-07, 01:46
My friend and I had a salad roll each and a pot of tea for 2 and it came to over £6 so have never been back.

sweetpea
03-Mar-07, 02:07
I haven't been in houstons for years. My only good memory of it was lentil and apricot soup.

rainbow
03-Mar-07, 09:45
I had a ham salad sandwich to take away and it cost me £2.00. It did taste good, but last time I bought one I am sure it was only £1.50. Won't be rushing back there for a sandwich - that was daylight robbery! Looks like I will have to be more organised in the mornings and make my own sandwich before I go to work.

darkman
03-Mar-07, 16:05
Don't know if it justifies the prices but I thought houstons pies, sausage rolls, etc, were all home made.

horseman
03-Mar-07, 18:41
Houstons when I was a kid was allways a treat,and great value sitting in there and being waited on...

Dissapointed to think it is still not the same.Both my sisters worked there at one time or another....Memories

henry20
04-Mar-07, 12:41
I was in Harry Ramsdens in Inverness, bought our suppers, then decided to go for a portion of onion rings - assuming that at £1.25 they would be home made, but I got 6 onion rings the same as frozen ones out of supermarket - not to say I was disappointed. :roll:

Geo
04-Mar-07, 18:53
My wife and I were discussing similar recently, in that years ago it was a treat to go to the Chinese takeaway whereas now the prices are similar and often cheaper than those in a chippie.

Re: Harry Ramsdens, we went to the one in Inverness a few years ago after the group had won the best fish and chips in the UK award, (or a similar award). It was the first time I had been in one of their shops and it will be the last time. The portion sizes were extremely small amd the fish was nothing special at all. The high price bore no relation to the meal provided.

Cinders392
04-Mar-07, 19:10
We were in houstons not long back either and couldnt beleive the prices. I thought they were selling famous fish for the price they charged a fish and chips to eat in. However it is local and they will never have as cheap prices as they large chains. However the bridge street cafe aint that dear and good food. Always packed when I go to eat there though and thats why I ended up in houstons

justine
05-Mar-07, 15:03
know what you mean. When we first moved to wick we took the kids to houstons for lunch.....Now try to work this out, 8 people with meals and drinks and if i remember it cost us over 30 quid........But then thats the price i pay for having 8 kids......

katarina
05-Mar-07, 19:30
lol tell your friend to stop being a skinflint and if they are watching their pennies tell them they should of gone to tesco and filled their cupboards with pancakes for that amount:Razz

Maybe - but tesco's baking is yeuk! Houstons may be dear - but they are still the best bakers in town.

gem1982
09-Mar-07, 15:40
We were in houstons not long back either and couldnt beleive the prices. I thought they were selling famous fish for the price they charged a fish and chips to eat in. However it is local and they will never have as cheap prices as they large chains. However the bridge street cafe aint that dear and good food. Always packed when I go to eat there though and thats why I ended up in houstons

Houstons are not using local fish anymore apparently they buy it in from down south somewhere - its cheaper than fresh stuff so they are making more money

Glenys Hirst
10-Mar-07, 00:42
Whilst up on holiday a few years back,we decided to go to Houstons for dinner...The food was nice but pricey..and it wasnt very 'childfriendly'...lLast year we went to WeatherSpoons instead!!!!!!

Alli
10-Mar-07, 01:33
My hubby and I had a fish supper each last night from Houstons, £4.70 per supper. There were two pieces of fish in each (freshly cooked) and the chips were freshly made too. Far too many chips and we each put a half of fish in the bucket. Next time we'll only take one between us. It's been ages since we had chips from Houstons, but, they were very tasty but way too big portions. Smaller portion and lesser price perhaps!

poppett
10-Mar-07, 09:08
Used to be a regular at Houstons "sit in" when I worked in Wick many many years ago, and took a trip down memory lane and returned last year, but it wasn`t as good and quite dear......however one day we fancied a chip tea when on the Wick side of the County visiting and got the carry out version. I don`t eat many chips and I had seen the size of the portions being set out when I was in the queue. At the time a fish supper and a can of fizzy stuff was a fiver, the best fiver we spent that day.