PDA

View Full Version : spell-checker, force-feeder

darkman
02-Mar-07, 12:53
Whilst typing on here I have noticed the spell checker keeps informing me of spelling errors.
Now I may not be 100% correct with the spelling of every word that I type but I would say I am pretty accurate for the most part and the words colour and favour are spelt exactly as I have written them.
I take it that this forum uses a 'u.s' english database and not proper english which is a small but significant downside to an otherwise good site.

Angela
02-Mar-07, 12:57
Whilst typing on here I have noticed the spell checker keeps informing me of spelling errors.

I don't seem to have one! Would I need to turn something on? :confused

darkman
02-Mar-07, 13:00
I don't seem to have one! Would I need to turn something on? :confused
It comes up as a red squiggly underline.

lassieinfife
02-Mar-07, 13:02
I dont get that but use the ABC thingy above smilies:lol:

Kaishowing
02-Mar-07, 13:27
I use Firefox and I don't even get the option of spell-checking for my posts. Just had a look on IE and have the same option as lassieinfife and from what I saw it's an option to click after the post has been written just before hitting the 'submit reply' button.

dozerboy
02-Mar-07, 13:55
Now I may not be 100% correct with the spelling of every word that I type but I would say I am pretty accurate for the most part and the words colour and favour are spelt exactly as I have written them.
I take it that this forum uses a 'u.s' english database and not proper english which is a small but significant downside to an otherwise good site.

I am on a work pc and cannot download the spell checker, but I don't think it matters that much, so long as the readers know what word was meant. Obviously there can be misunderstandings if a word is misspelt and it then reads something else!! I would like to be a better speller, but just do my best.

j4bberw0ck
02-Mar-07, 14:33
I use Firefox and I don't even get the option of spell-checking for my posts..

K, if you download the Firefox update (latest version) you get the option of installing a "British English" dictionary. Download, install, and Robert is indeed your father's brother.

Kaishowing
02-Mar-07, 14:44
K, if you download the Firefox update (latest version) you get the option of installing a "British English" dictionary. Download, install, and Robert is indeed your father's brother.

Thanks for that....But I'll be honest and say I'm not sure that I want that feature....I think it may make me lazy and not even attempt to spell korrektlly!:eek:
I know that having something like that pop-up unwanted would annoy me in minutes! (I get grumpier as I get older!);)

j4bberw0ck
02-Mar-07, 14:49
(I get grumpier as I get older!);)

Hooo boy, I know that feeling. Actually, the Firefox thing is remarkably discreet, though not infallible as it doesn't check grammar. So for instance if I'd typed "discrete" instead of "discreet" (totally different meanings, of course), it would have just accepted it. Still, the whole thing is only 290KB so not to moan too much, eh? Still no substitute for the grey matter.

candyfloss
02-Mar-07, 16:46
It comes up as a red squiggly underline.
I always wondered why some of the words i type have squiggly lines under them :confused now i know :)

Niall Fernie
02-Mar-07, 21:47
The spell checker is not part of this web site.

As the message tells you when you first click the spellcheck button, you will be downloading a plugin from another website. The plugin may then be used on any site you visit.

darkman
02-Mar-07, 22:31
The spell checker is not part of this web site.

As the message tells you when you first click the spellcheck button, you will be downloading a plugin from another website. The plugin may then be used on any site you visit.Thanks for the explanation niall and apologies for associating your site with this particular spell checker.
Those that have trouble spelling are those that I feel will be thrown by this particular plug in, i.e, they will be taught a certain spelling at school only to come on here and doubt themselves when the spell checker tells them they are wrong.

Cattach
03-Mar-07, 11:32

Do not necessarily think that UK English is any more proper than US English. The English language develops all the time and has changed dramatically over the centuries and indeed over recent years justas the US version has.

It will not be long before we have this terrible DEFINATELY word with the solid 'A' sound in the dictionary when the word is, of course, DEFINITELY with an 'i'.