PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.co.uk

Rheghead
01-Mar-07, 16:13
I see that Ancestry now have the 1841, 1851, 1861 Scotland censuses online (as well as the English and Welsh 1841-1901), free with their membership but you can buy pay-per-view vouchers as well if thats suits.

Oddquine
01-Mar-07, 21:24
I see that Ancestry now have the 1841, 1851, 1861 Scotland censuses online (as well as the English and Welsh 1841-1901), free with their membership but you can buy pay-per-view vouchers as well if thats suits.

Most Caithness ones and a puckle others are on Freecen now.

I once joined Ancestry, but got nothing of use out of it...it is too US oriented for my purposes.

Rheghead
03-Mar-07, 15:05
I once joined Ancestry, but got nothing of use out of it...it is too US oriented for my purposes.

No wonder if your family history is Scottish at a time when they didn't have Scottish censuses. And if you were getting too much US stuff then you weren't using the search filters properly.

As an update, they now have the 1871 and 1891 Scotland censuses online, not long before they get the 1881 and 1901 I guess.

Oddquine
03-Mar-07, 23:04
No wonder if your family history is Scottish at a time when they didn't have Scottish censuses. And if you were getting too much US stuff then you weren't using the search filters properly.

As an update, they now have the 1871 and 1891 Scotland censuses online, not long before they get the 1881 and 1901 I guess.

I can get 1841-1861 in my areas from Freecen, I have the 1881 census discs for the UK and I got nothing more from Ancestry than I already had from Scotland's People.

It's not a case of not using it properly.............it's more a case of preferring to spend my money on Scotland's People where I'm pretty sure of results or on Ancestry......where I'm not......they don't have any more Caithness, Inverness-shire or Dumfriess-shire stuff than I had before I joined.

It'd be good right enough if you were researching people who emigrated to the US.........but as far as I'm aware, I don't have any.