PDA

View Full Version : GBH in the NHS

badger
26-Feb-07, 20:11
A rapist is receiving regular dialysis in hospital to keep him alive. Every time he visits the hospital he threatens the nurses. But - the local PCT, or whoever, won't refuse him treatment so they lay on extra security guards. My first reaction to this was to tell him if he doesn't stop, then no more treatment. But what if he dies?

Programme about violence in hospitals on tv tonight. Apparently millions of NHS money is wasted on this, few prosecutions are brought, and sentences are pathetic. A woman caught on cctv attacking a doctor (she could have blinded him) was prosecuted, given a suspended sentence and £50 fine. The doctor was not happy.

Some doctors refuse treatment on grounds of smoking, obesity etc. because the outcome is affected by the lifestyle. Most of the violence in hospitals is due to drink or drugs so should these people also be refused treatment? And if they are refused, what happens to them?

big red
26-Feb-07, 20:20
I saw that on the news at lunchtime myself. Personally I think they should lynch him, unfortunately he is entitled to treatment,if this is refused the hospital staff would be in trouble. Why is it in this day and age people like this and criminals hold all the cards.

Penelope Pitstop
26-Feb-07, 20:41
I seen this on the news as well. It beggars belief. I suppose the NHS hands are tied as he needs the treatment to stay alive......can't believe he's not grateful for the treatment!!! Wonder if he has stopped to think about what'll happen to him if he doesn't get it.

Quite upsetting when you hear other stories on the news about people fighting to get the medication they need to stay alive, but no money for the expensive drugs. NHS would have more money if they didn't have twats like that guy to deal with.:~(

nightowl
27-Feb-07, 00:14
What's the betting he is on a transplant list too. How would you feel about a loved one's or even your own kidney going to a person like that?

nicnak
27-Feb-07, 00:41
Well personally I think they should take hime outside tie him to the nearest post and let him die slowly - not very christian I know, but why on earth should anyone have to put up with people like that and why on earth should we have to support such lowlifes as this that do nothing except cause grief and unhappiness to others.

Angela
27-Feb-07, 10:56
I watched the Panorama programme last night.

I spent some time in ERI last spring/summer, in a ward where there were patients receiving dialysis and being assessed for transplants.

This man's case was a pretty hot topic among patients and staff alike. We, the patients, were mostly in favour of him being refused treatment.

It seemed bizarre to say the least that a room was being specially built for his use, at a cost, I believe, of £12K. Before you start counting the cost of his ongoing treatment.

The hospital staff don't -in their professional capacity -judge patients. I think their personal views varied.

But there would have to be changes to the law to enable them to refuse treatment even to this sort of person. They have to treat unpleasant and ungrateful patients a lot of the time.

The difference here is the degree of his unpleasantness and the type and cost of the treatment he is receiving.

Penelope Pitstop
27-Feb-07, 13:15
Just makes you wonder/worry how far he would have to go before they would stop treating him?

cuddlepop
27-Feb-07, 13:20
I think even if he was to murder someone NHS would still have to treat him.
Its all to do with Ethics.:confused

j4bberw0ck
27-Feb-07, 13:22
.....before they would stop treating him?

Seemed clear from the comments of the Chief Exec of the Health Board that they won't stop treating him; if they do, he'll die. They can't make that decision.

But perhaps its not unreasonable to hope that a Court could?

I see no problem in the concept of withholding treatment if he's violent towards staff and / or other patients.

changilass
27-Feb-07, 13:40
Whilst I agree that everyone (no matter their circumstances) deserves treatment, I also believe that staff have the right to go about their jobs without being physically and verbally abused. Surely the individual members of staff have the right to refuse to treat him on the basis of the abuse suffered, he would soon run out of folks to treat him.

pat
27-Feb-07, 14:13
gbh in psychiatric units has been very common for years are you going to stop treatment to psychotic patients? How disturbed is this person or are they just pure evil or manipulative - play up and get attention from everyone, doctors, nurses, social workers etc.

mr do dar
27-Feb-07, 22:33
you might think im horrible but if i was the doctor treating him i would give him a slow painful death . every time he came in for his treatment i would put a small quantity of a leathal injection in his body then a massive one to kill him . there is people in this world that needed treatment and cant get it for people like this [evil]

sam
27-Feb-07, 22:48
I believe that the staff have more right to be protected from these morons, than they have of being treated.
Its fair enough to say everyone deserves to be treated, but surely the hospital staff deserve to be better protected than they are, its not right.

If they cant behave in an appropriate manner when the staff are trying to help then, then why should they be allowed to carry on getting treatment.
How far is it going to go?
is a member of staff going to be seriously injured or killed before they say enough is enough.[disgust]

badger
27-Feb-07, 23:09
gbh in psychiatric units has been very common for years are you going to stop treatment to psychotic patients? How disturbed is this person or are they just pure evil or manipulative - play up and get attention from everyone, doctors, nurses, social workers etc.

Must admit I wondered that. If he is mentally unable to stop doing what he does, then why is he not receiving treatment. He kept saying to the reporter who tried to interview him "you don't know the whole story". Was that just to get away from her or does he really believe he is doing nothing wrong? There was another case in the paper today about a stalker who thought what he was doing to women was perfectly acceptable.

I'm inclined to think that if this rapist does know what he's doing, then he should be refused treatment until he behaves. But - that would probably kill him and they can't do that. Pity really his condition is not just painful rather than life-threatening.