PDA

View Full Version : Why?

cuddlepop
24-Feb-07, 19:31
Why do the council insist on reducing funding to volantary organistions just as they are getting things right and providing a service that they dont.
CHIP+ have announced that wonderful Liz Shannon is retiring on the 30th of March and due to funding cuts will not be replaced.Why?
The council can waste money on posts such as "nappy"officers who have to actively promote awareness of old fashioned nappies at the expense of organisations such as CHIP+.
We will be writting to MP,MSP,local councilors and childrens champions but we shouldn't have to.
The council are pushing this "prudent fiscal control" crap and with the other "face"apparentley wasting money.:mad:

colmac
24-Feb-07, 21:25
CHIP+ have announced that wonderful Liz Shannon is retiring on the 30th of March and due to funding cuts will not be replaced.Why?

Who is Liz Shannon?

cuddlepop
24-Feb-07, 22:08
Liz Shannon is the manager for Chip +
www.childreninthehighlands.com (http://www.childreninthehighlands.com) this is there web site and the Organisation is a valuable resource to both profesionals and families of children with additional needs.:)

Royster1911
25-Feb-07, 10:16
This is the first I have heard of this support group. Is that not a message to those who run it. Make it more open to the public so we all know who you are and what you are about. Only then can we fight your corner.

cuddlepop
25-Feb-07, 10:48
This is the first I have heard of this support group. Is that not a message to those who run it. Make it more open to the public so we all know who you are and what you are about. Only then can we fight your corner.
Bill has a link on this community web site but the problem is that there is not a central local council officer/department that is a recognised point of contact for parents or professionals.Once you know of this Organisation you'll wonder how you managed for all these years.
Chip+ leaflets should be in your local CAB office,dentist surgery,doctors,social work office,community centre etc.
This is a voluntary organisation with a few employees so can only do so much.:eek:

Royster1911
25-Feb-07, 10:54
Now that all the people on the .org knows that somone has retired from the group that you represent, I still dont know what the group does, who it supports etc. I will not follow links ( when I find them) as I am lazy. Prompt me (and others) to support your grand cause.:~(

cuddlepop
25-Feb-07, 11:43
CHIP+ is an Organisation that we as parents use for advice and support on additional need isues.
In this Spring newsletter they are telling us about Liz's retirement on the 30th of March and inviting people to attend a "Goodbye" party.As they know some carer's are tied to their homes in the evening they are running afternoon 12 30-130pm and a tim e in the evening to be confirmed.This event will be held at the Birnie Child Development Centre opposite Raigmore hospital
Cuts and Change in Staffing
Is mentioned in that as they are likely cuts to their funding,Chief EXecutive Christian Maclean will oversee management issues and the three Information Support Officers will continue as present.
New AutismParliamentary Network
NAS is supporting interested MSP to keep them updated.
apn@nas.org.uk
Paul Innes memorial fund
Exists to honour and aknowledge people with learning disabilities, their goals in overcoming obstacles.ENABLE administer it.
MOVE-movement for learning and life
Assists parents of severe and complex needs of children,There is a date to be arranged for an exploratory day at Drummond school to exchange best practice and mutual support
I'm afraid I'll run out of allocated words so will stop there.:eek:
They have an extensive library available and will give you there list.

Torvaig
25-Feb-07, 14:20
CHIP+ ( Children in the Highlands Information Point) is a charity providing information, advice and support to families who have a child with a disability, special needs, or any sort of additional support needand to the professionals who work with them in the Highlands.

There are 4 full-time and 1 part-time staff who have very varied experience and skills. CHIP+ is managed by a Board of Directors.

CHIP+ has information about: Support Groups, Disability, Syndromes, Chronic Illness, Education - Additional Support Needs, Funding, Benefits, Holidays, Equipment ...................and much much more.

CHIP+ publishes a quarterly newsletter and a variety of information packs.
The service is completely confidential and both newsletter and information packs are freely available on request.

Please phone, call in, e-mail or write:

CHIP+, OR CHIP+
Birnie Child Development Centre, Unit 6
Raigmore Hospital 15 Lotland Street
Inverness Inverness

IV2 3UJ IV1 1ST
Tel 01463 711189 Tel 01463 717727

e-mail chip.birnie@ukgateway.net (chip.birnie@ukgateway.net)

Chair of the Board - Silvie MacKenzie
Vice Chair - Vacant
Treasurer - Mary Clark
Charity No: SC024835

Company Nos: 241635

cuddlepop
25-Feb-07, 14:59
Thanks for that Torvaig.
The above was my effort of condensing news letter for anyone who didn't want to follow links.:D

Torvaig
25-Feb-07, 15:08
Ach, I had nothing else to do anyway so you are welcome! Cheers.

Royster1911
25-Feb-07, 18:08
Many thanks for the info. I work alongside (not with) children with special needs. Now that I know what the group does may help me decide if I so wish ,to help them.