PDA

View Full Version : What Fruit Trees do well in Caithness

RagnarRocks
16-Feb-14, 08:45
Just curious as to which fruit trees grow well and bear fruit here in Caithness

susie
16-Feb-14, 13:40
Apples although some years mine fail, gooseberries, red and black currants, blackberries and cherries(usually devilishly sour). That's what I have near Reay. Torrisdale tunnel has other wonders too.

Humerous Vegetable
16-Feb-14, 17:53
I have some step-over apple trees (to cut down on wind damage) which usually fruit quite well, and a Victoria plum which I planted nearly 12 years ago and is now about 15 ft high, which has never flowered once!!! Soft fruit do really well, especially strawberries and rasps.

porshiepoo
23-Feb-14, 18:05
I live near Lybster and I have Apple trees, Plums, Pear trees, cherry trees & Fig trees all of which have fruited year after year - in a ruddy polytunnel. If I attempt to grow them outside even in sheltered areas they fail to flower or flowers drop. I have moved a few of them to the back garden and they're already budding but I doubt they will flower so there'll be no fruit. I have kept my favourite varieties in the PT to guarantee fruit.

Kenn
26-Feb-14, 01:02
Check out autumn fruiting raspberries, they were being highly recommended at the local gardening club last month. Have an apple tree that I am fan training on a south facing wall here and it seems to be doing well.

porshiepoo
26-Feb-14, 17:28
Check out autumn fruiting raspberries, they were being highly recommended at the local gardening club last month. Have an apple tree that I am fan training on a south facing wall here and it seems to be doing well.

There's a gardening club? Where is this? :)