PDA

View Full Version : Dentist in Thurso

Max
23-Feb-07, 14:11
Ok - not a joke - person goes into dentist pays subscription every month - has regular checkups - told at recent checkup that he needs a filling. Is in for 5 minutes - no anaesthetic - tiny filling £50. Is it just me or is that just a rip-off - considering on top of that he pays the monthly charge. Even at the cost of the tiny filling what hourly rate does that dentist charge?

philupmaboug
23-Feb-07, 14:28
Anaesthetic would have made the £50 cost no less painful but you would have appreciated the bill a little more with its application. Try suffering for a few months next time to see if it is value for money! ... Just a thought.

Cattach
23-Feb-07, 17:07
Ok - not a joke - person goes into dentist pays subscription every month - has regular checkups - told at recent checkup that he needs a filling. Is in for 5 minutes - no anaesthetic - tiny filling £50. Is it just me or is that just a rip-off - considering on top of that he pays the monthly charge. Even at the cost of the tiny filling what hourly rate does that dentist charge?

Do not know who this dentist is but I get superb treatment from Neil Fearns and I do not pay a monthly subscription. OK it is not cheap but it is cheaper than Bridgend which I left three years ago due to cost. Three years on I pay less in total than I did there.

Dental hygene is great and so much better than I got on NHS. I realise it is expensive for many, especially families, but it just the way things are going. Do not be surprised if seening the Doctor or Nurse will soon also incur a cost.

Max
23-Feb-07, 17:29
Yea it was Bridgend!! surprise surprise

Lavenderblue2
23-Feb-07, 17:40

Yes Max, I do feel that we're being ripped off as I'm sure we're with the same dentist.

Anaesthetic would have made the £50 cost no less painful but you would have appreciated the bill a little more with its application. Try suffering for a few months next time to see if it is value for money! ... Just a thought.

philupmaboug, I agree with you up to a point - if we were to be in pain then we would certainly pay anything to get rid of it but that's not the point that Max was trying to make. £180 per person per year is an awful lot for two check ups and three (or is it four) hygienist appointments when treatment is so expensive over and above that! :(

Pouleriscaig
23-Feb-07, 19:03
Maybe it's an issue we should be asking Parliamentary candidates about at the forthcoming Scottish parliament elections: what have they done to promote NHS dentistry and what are they intending to do to improve things?:mad:

Max
23-Feb-07, 20:24
Yes, it isn't really the private treatment that is the issue and certainly not the no anaesthetic as when he knew it was such a small filling it was his idea to have no anaesthetic - he thought it would be cheaper (sadly it probably was)! It is just the general rip-off. Quite happy to pay for private treatment but have to feel you get some value for money.

rfr10
23-Feb-07, 20:48
Talking about dentists, does anyone know what number to phone to try and get an appointment at the Lochshell Clinic?

Bill Fernie
24-Feb-07, 10:09
I have posted this information before and its in the Health and Welfare page right at the top - See http://www.caithness.org/community/healthandwelfare/

The number of the helpline that youneed to go to is Dental Helpline 0845 6442271

There has be a long-term shortage of NHS dentists and the new Lochshell Dental Clinic has taken on the waiting list and it is very long. You are unlikely to get quick appointment. They will not give you appointments directly. You must go through the helpline and they may suggest another place to go if you need urgent treatment for toothache etc.

The new dental clinic will begin to make difference as it is well staffed but as the waiting list is very long it will probably take year to get through it and in that time more will be added to the list.

Similar thread a few weeks ago at http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=20163&highlight=dentist

It is worth checking the search on the forum to see if atopic has been raised before and the answers are already posted.

Bloo
24-Feb-07, 18:13
Yes i thought it was a bit of a rip off too. I dont like the dentist for a start becase i dont like people poking metal into my mouth and the anaesthstetic is rubbish! never works. I like my dentist just now when hes poking things in my mouth :eek:

larcc
24-Feb-07, 22:24
Last friday my elsest woke up with huge abcess on his gum, have no dentist
phoned dental help line and they were great said they said they would phone me back in the next hour, which they certainly did 10mins... Got appointment for that day in the afternoon, so I can only praise the dental helpline as my son was seen straight away, and im thankfull, and he is back to normal. and has kept his tooth..... And he has another check up in couple of months

Julia
24-Feb-07, 22:39
I'm delighted with the Lochshell Dentist, I had two small fillings recently and was in and out of the place in just 20 minutes! I was even given something to numb the area for the needle, never had that before. :D

Professional, efficient and friendly staff, it's the best dental experience I've ever had.

bky
24-Feb-07, 23:13
my wife called for an emergency appointment as she had broken a tooth - she was given an appointment at bridge end - they had 2 goes at getting the broken tooth out- and failed - gave her a handful of antibiotics and painkillers before they admitted defeat and refered her to the dental surgeon at the hospital- which could mean a 3 month wait - still sent us a bill for twenty quid for what they claim was treatment - should i pay ?????