PDA

View Full Version : Getting who you voted for?

ducati
22-Jan-14, 19:39
One of the arguments put for Independence is that we don't vote in Scotland for who ends up in WESTMINSTER.

One of the pundits on last nights BBC debate from Greenock suggested some interesting figures. I haven't checked them but no-one on the panel disagreed with him.

1 in 5 voters in Scotland voted for for the SNP at the last Holyrood election.

1 in 6 voters in Scotland voted for the Conservatives at the last Holyrood election.

It seems we don't get who we vote for in Holyrood either.

Bobinovich
22-Jan-14, 20:46
You sure about those figures Duke? According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_election,_2011) the SNP won 53.49% of the total seats to the Conservatives 11.63%, even taking the 50% turnout (own people's choice) that would make 26.745% of the electorate for the SNP, compared to 5.815% for the Conservatives :confused

ducati
22-Jan-14, 20:48
You sure about those figures Duke? According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_election,_2011) the SNP won 53.49% of the total seats to the Conservatives 11.63%, even taking the 50% turnout (own people's choice) that would make 26.745% of the electorate for the SNP, compared to 5.815% for the Conservatives :confused

No. I said I haven't checked. But seats and votes don't equate in a PR system do they?

Mrs Bradey
22-Jan-14, 20:49
One of the arguments put for Independence is that we don't vote in Scotland for who ends up in WESTMINSTER.One of the pundits on last nights BBC debate from Greenock suggested some interesting figures. I haven't checked them but no-one on the panel disagreed with him.I1 in 5 voters in Scotland voted for for the SNP at the last Holyrood election.1 in 6 voters in Scotland voted for the Conservatives at the last Holyrood election.It seems we don't get who we vote for in Holyrood either.snp are in power, by your figures voted in by 20% of the voters, conservatives are not as they only got 16.6% of the vote. Or is my maths just carp like my spelling!

ducati
22-Jan-14, 20:51
snp are in power, by your figures voted in by 20% of the voters, conservatives are not as they only got 16.6% of the vote. Or is my maths just carp like my spelling!

No Mrs M, it sounds about right to me.