PDA

View Full Version : Dog walking,,,, you don't have the right to walk the golf course

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 10:29
For the ignorant dog walkers that think they have the right to roam along the golf course, you are not and have no right too,

Part 1 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 established a right of responsible access over most land in Scotland for recreation and for the purpose of crossing said land – commonly known as the “Right to Roam”.

Although the relevant part of the Act came into force in February 2005 many people remain unaware of what this right actually entails. In particular, there is some confusion over the implications for sports clubs who have (often very large) areas of land which their members use for recreation and other sporting events. Do other members of the public really have unfettered rights of access over your manicured bowling green, golf course or rugby field?

What is the “Right to Roam”?

In short, everyone is entitled to responsible non-motorised access to land (including inland waters)

Further guidance on what “responsible” access is can be found in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com). The Outdoor Access Code, although not binding law, has been approved by the Scottish Government and the 2003 Act makes specific reference to the guidance on responsible conduct which is set out in the Access Code.

Does the 2003 Act apply to land used by Sports Clubs?

Fortunately for sports clubs, the 2003 Act specifically excludes land which has been developed or set out “as a sports or playing field” or “for a particular recreational purpose” from the Right to Roam. There is also a specific partial exemption for golf courses (although there is still a right to cross over a golf course (but not over any golf greens) provided the person doesn’t interfere with any games of golf).

The Act goes on to offer further clarification on these sporting / recreational exemptions and gives a list of specific requirements that have to be present before these exclusions will be effective. To take an example, the Act makes clear that if the land is a golf green, bowling green, cricket square or lawn tennis court, then that land will be exempt from the Right to Roam. Similarly, any sports or playing field with a synthetic grass, acrylic, resin or rubber granule surface will be exempt from the 2003 Act access rights.

Finally, any area (although not qualifying for one of the exemptions in the paragraph above) set out as a sports or playing field or for a particular recreational purpose will be exempt from the Right to Roam while that area is in use.

Further advice

While the 2003 Act (supplemented by the Outdoor Access Code) makes clear and welcome reference to exemptions from the Right to Roam for sports and playing fields and other areas set aside for recreational purposes, the legislation is far from black and white, and the courts have already had to deal with questions of interpretation.

mackay5255
07-Jan-14, 11:19
Your message title is wrong. There is nothing to stop someone walking over a golf COURSE. The exemptions purely apply to a GREEN. So tough.

Mrs Bradey
07-Jan-14, 12:54
does it clearly say in the access code exemptions, "golf green", and not,"golf course"? if it does then you can walk over all the course except the putting greens, as these are the only part of course described as "greens". of course you would need; not to disturb play, clean up dog mess (even in the rough), and keep pets under control (not necessarily on the lead).

sids
07-Jan-14, 13:17
Does anyone particularly want to walk their dog on the greens?

Kodiak
07-Jan-14, 13:31
I must admit this thread has given me a good laugh. [lol]

Not only that it reminded me of a friend I used to have about about 45 years ago. We used to play the odd round or two at Camperdown Golf Course in Dundee. The only thing was that his Wife hated all sport especially Golf and refused to let him have any Golf Clubs let alone play the game.

So he used to keep a half set at my house, we only lived a 3 minute walk from each other, and the only way he could out of the house alone, was to take his dog for a walk. He would phone me on a Sunday and he would come around to my house with his Collie Dog. We would load his and my Golf Clubs into my car, Skoda 1000MB, he would sit in the back with his dog and off we would go to Camperdown.

There we would spend a happy 3 maybe 4 hours whacking golf balls around the course while is dog ran all around us. He never went far away and he was always welcomed by all the other golfers. We used to have a great time and that is all three of us including the dog. As far as I know his wife never found out but this stopped around 1973 when I met my future wife and I stopped playing Golf. Lets face it I was rubbish at the game as I think my best ever round was 120 for 18 holes.

Personally I think there is plenty of room on any Golf Course for Golfers and Walkers whether they have dogs or not. A bit more give a take in this world would be a good thing rather than one person trying to tell another what they can or can not do.

Liz
07-Jan-14, 13:31
Do ignorant golfers realise that dog walkers do have the right to walk their dogs on golf courses, as opposed to greens which are classed as sport fields,as long as they do not interrupt a game of golf.
We walk our dog there when the course is quiet and have never had any problem with golfers, apart from one who was very rude and threatening. In fact they have been very welcoming and a few take their own dogs on the course.

Wick Golf Club actually has a sign asking people to keep dogs under control which implies that they can be walked there.

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 14:16
No I think you'll find it says across a golf course to get from point a to point b, please feel free to contact the wick police, as I took advice from them first , you are not allowed to walk your dogs along the course, as stated you can walk them across to get from point A to point B ,

Fortunately for sports clubs, the 2003 Act specifically excludes land which has been developed or set out “as a sports or playing field” or “for a particular recreational purpose” from the Right to Roam. There is also a specific partial exemption for golf courses (although there is still a right to cross over a golf course (but not over any golf greens) provided the person doesn’t interfere with any games of golf).

Liz you will find that sign is for members who pay a large sum of money for that right,

Now off you trot to the police station and ask,,,, Ill wait here for your response ,,,

Liz
07-Jan-14, 14:19
I will not 'trot' anywhere and as for my response I will be banned if I post this here.

Why are you the only golfer who has had a problem with dog walkers?

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 14:25
I will not 'trot' anywhere and as for my response I will be banned if I post this here.

Why are you the only golfer who has had a problem with dog walkers?

I'm not the only golfer , and why won't you go to the police is it because you don't want to find out the truth and are quite happy to plead ignorance about the facts,

Is it so hard for dog walkers to go the extra 20 yards and go to the beach where you can walk until their heart are content

Pollycat
07-Jan-14, 14:30
Riggerboy is correct in this instance.

I will post the relevant link again. You only have the right to cross the golf course. Your dog must be under control. You must not hold up play. You must not walk on the greens. It is explained quite clearly in the following document.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf

Liz
07-Jan-14, 14:35
Well I have never encountered any other golfer who is so anti dog walking as you!

As for going to the police station I choose not to as don't need to. We only walk our dog on the golf course when it is very quiet and do not interrupt games and clear up dog mess

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 14:43
Riggerboy is correct in this instance.

I will post the relevant link again. You only have the right to cross the golf course. Your dog must be under control. You must not hold up play. You must not walk on the greens. It is explained quite clearly in the following document.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf

Thank Polly,

I really don't have that much of a problem with people walking the course, however sick fed up with people not cleaning up after their dogs, dogs running around with no leads on, having to wait for the inconsiderate dog walker to clear out of the way so we can play the game we pay a lot of money for, have to clean dog fouling of my shoes because they can't be bothered to clean up, I even had one dog walker tell me they always clean up after them, and their dog was over a 100 yards away, how the heck did they know if the dog had stopped for a poo or not, ??? It will be the inconsiderate dog walkers that will ruin it for all,

It has been raised in the clubhouse and will be raised again if the persistent offenders continue down the path of
WE HAVE THE RIGHT, and don't follow simple etiquette and show a little respect for the people that pay to keep the course and make it a nice walk

Big Gaz
07-Jan-14, 14:56
All good and well but why let off steam on the Org when it is just a remote chance that the "offenders" use the Org? If you have police backing, then simply walk up to the offenders, say hello and hand them a letter explaining the situation instead of starting an argument on the Org. Simple!

Liz
07-Jan-14, 14:57
Thank Polly,

I really don't have that much of a problem with people walking the course, however sick fed up with people not cleaning up after their dogs, dogs running around with no leads on, having to wait for the inconsiderate dog walker to clear out of the way so we can play the game we pay a lot of money for, have to clean dog fouling of my shoes because they can't be bothered to clean up, I even had one dog walker tell me they always clean up after them, and their dog was over a 100 yards away, how the heck did they know if the dog had stopped for a poo or not, ??? It will be the inconsiderate dog walkers that will ruin it for all,

It has been raised in the clubhouse and will be raised again if the persistent offenders continue down the path of
WE HAVE THE RIGHT, and don't follow simple etiquette and show a little respect for the people that pay to keep the course and make it a nice walk

I actually agree with you re inconsiderate dog owners spoiling it for others and dog mess should always be picked up.

It is just your manner is so aggressive when putting your point across. I do hope a way will be found for golfers and dog walkers to enjoy the beautiful course in harmony.

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 15:06
I actually agree with you re inconsiderate dog owners spoiling it for others and dog mess should always be picked up.

It is just your manner is so aggressive when putting your point across. I do hope a way will be found for golfers and dog walkers to enjoy the beautiful course in harmony.

My manner aggressive ???! Where in any of my posts have I been aggressive, I have re read my post and can't see aggression at any point,,,,, please feel free to point out where I have been aggressive to you or anyone

As for a way for golfers and dog walkers to get along, is for the dog walker to remember they don't have the right, they are being given the gratuity to walk the course, and to allow the golfer who gives the gratuity to play unhindered in anyway, also to cleanup all mess left, even if it is in the first cut of rough,

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 15:34
All good and well but why let off steam on the Org when it is just a remote chance that the "offenders" use the Org? If you have police backing, then simply walk up to the offenders, say hello and hand them a letter explaining the situation instead of starting an argument on the Org. Simple!

It would appear it's not a remote chance, as I have had replies from dog walkers on this thread, sorry if this post isn't about tesco, horse theft and other top topics

Mrs Bradey
07-Jan-14, 15:38
No I think you'll find it says across a golf course to get from point a to point b, please feel free to contact the wick police, as I took advice from them first , you are not allowed to walk your dogs along the course, as stated you can walk them across to get from point A to point B , Fortunately for sports clubs, the 2003 Act specifically excludes land which has been developed or set out “as a sports or playing field” or “for a particular recreational purpose” from the Right to Roam. There is also a specific partial exemption for golf courses (although there is still a right to cross over a golf course (but not over any golf greens) provided the person doesn’t interfere with any games of golf).Liz you will find that sign is for members who pay a large sum of money for that right, Now off you trot to the police station and ask,,,, Ill wait here for your response ,,, the police are not the correct people to ask about this, as they are generally more ignorant than most, particularly on the subject of public access! Matt Dent is the Highland Council access officer for this area, and it is he should be approached with issues pertaining to public access.

Big Gaz
07-Jan-14, 15:41
It would appear it's not a remote chance, as I have had replies from dog walkers on this thread, sorry if this post isn't about tesco, horse theft and other top topics

So are these dog walkers the culprits?

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 16:07
So are these dog walkers the culprits?

I didn't say that,

Kodiak
07-Jan-14, 16:58
Attaboy riggerboy, keep it up, don't slow down as your antics and tizzy throwing on this thread is highly amusing. [lol] You really should have a go at BGT on TV, I bet you would win.

Dreamweaver
07-Jan-14, 17:16
Is this what they mean by dogging?

Mrs Bradey
07-Jan-14, 18:02
does it clearly say in the access code exemptions, "golf green", and not,"golf course"? if it does then you can walk over all the course except the putting greens, as these are the only part of course described as "greens". of course you would need; not to disturb play, clean up dog mess (even in the rough), and keep pets under control (not necessarily on the lead).having now read the cast relevant part of the access code it does state you may cross the course if on a footpath/right of way. dogs must be under control and on a short lead. further access is only at the discretion of the golf club! so there you go, or not go, as the case maybe! Riggerboy you are quite correct.

almo
07-Jan-14, 18:22
Do ignorant golfers realise that dog walkers do have the right to walk their dogs on golf courses, as opposed to greens which are classed as sport fields,as long as they do not interrupt a game of golf.
We walk our dog there when the course is quiet and have never had any problem with golfers, apart from one who was very rude and threatening. In fact they have been very welcoming and a few take their own dogs on the course.

Well I have never encountered any other golfer who is so anti dog walking as you!

As for going to the police station I choose not to as don't need to. We only walk our dog on the golf course when it is very quiet and do not interrupt games and clear up dog mess

Wick Golf Club actually has a sign asking people to keep dogs under control which implies that they can be walked there.
Just to clarify, I was the "Irate golfer" not Riggerboy.
Yes I swore but after shouting to you numerous occasions to get out of the way you just ignored that and carried on walking straight along the 1st fairway where I was hitting balls! Contrary to you don't get in the way, you continued to walk straight along the line I was playing on!
We are not the only members who are frustrated at the state of the course due to fouling and being disrupted by those walking on the course often in areas the golfer is about to play too.
As previously mentioned walkers can walk over a path across a golf course but not just purely go for a walk on the course.
Members are entitled to walk their dogs as they are paying the upkeep on the course.
Exactly the same as you can walk your dog in your garden but I cant walk into your garden to walk a dog or practice my golf!

As i said we are not the only members of the club disgruntled with the situation, the matter has already been pointed out to the club and I think further action will be taken.
It's a shame that this is the situation but walkers have brought this upon themselves through their ignorant and selfish behaviour.

almo
07-Jan-14, 18:28
having now read the cast relevant part of the access code it does state you may cross the course if on a footpath/right of way. dogs must be under control and on a short lead. further access is only at the discretion of the golf club! so there you go, or not go, as the case maybe! Riggerboy you are quite correct.
How refreshing to see someone on here take the time to read things and understand the difference between what the access code says, rather than what they want it to say for their own good.
:-)

sids
07-Jan-14, 18:40
Is this what they mean by dogging?

The golfing set have nothing against that!

sids
07-Jan-14, 18:43
Now off you trot to the police station and ask,,,, Ill wait here for your response ,,,

Next time you see me walking the dog on the course, off you trot and get yourself laughed out of the Police station.

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 18:43
having now read the cast relevant part of the access code it does state you may cross the course if on a footpath/right of way. dogs must be under control and on a short lead. further access is only at the discretion of the golf club! so there you go, or not go, as the case maybe! Riggerboy you are quite correct.

Thank you Mrs Bradey, and if I could put Liz in the picture, if it wasn't for the fact that I am a nice enough bloke I would attach your pm's that you sent me,

sids
07-Jan-14, 18:59
Unlike all of you, I'm not a lawyer, but your quoted law appears to say that people who do these terrible things on the course are not protected, by the Act, from your claims that they are not behaving responsibly. You can apply to the Civil courts to have them interdicted from dog walking on your golf course.

Good luck with that!

If a person is behaving irresponsibly and damage or significant disturbance is being caused, then you could ask them to modify their behaviour. If they refuse to do so, and this damage or significant disturbance continues, then they would not be exercising access rights responsibly and so they could then be asked to leave. If an individual does this persistently over a period of time, you could seek an interdict against that person. Never use force.

Liz
07-Jan-14, 19:21
Just to clarify, I was the "Irate golfer" not Riggerboy.
Yes I swore but after shouting to you numerous occasions to get out of the way you just ignored that and carried on walking straight along the 1st fairway where I was hitting balls! Contrary to you don't get in the way, you continued to walk straight along the line I was playing on!
We are not the only members who are frustrated at the state of the course due to fouling and being disrupted by those walking on the course often in areas the golfer is about to play too.
As previously mentioned walkers can walk over a path across a golf course but not just purely go for a walk on the course.
Members are entitled to walk their dogs as they are paying the upkeep on the course.
Exactly the same as you can walk your dog in your garden but I cant walk into your garden to walk a dog or practice my golf!

As i said we are not the only members of the club disgruntled with the situation, the matter has already been pointed out to the club and I think further action will be taken.
It's a shame that this is the situation but walkers have brought this upon themselves through their ignorant and selfish behaviour.

Okay firstly this was dealt with privately (where I apologised for mistakenly identifying Riggerboy as the person who aggressively confronted us) so no need to be brought on to a public forum but since you have now done this I will clarify the situation.

On the day in question we went for a walk on the course as there was only one golfer (which turned out be you) heading back to the clubhouse so we felt it was safe to cross over the course whereupon you shouted an obscenity and marched up the course to 'have a go' at us which is totally unacceptable behaviour.

I do not wish to take part in a public slanging match so will not be replying.

almo
07-Jan-14, 19:47
Okay firstly this was dealt with privately (where I apologised for mistakenly identifying Riggerboy as the person who aggressively confronted us) so no need to be brought on to a public forum but since you have now done this I will clarify the situation.

On the day in question we went for a walk on the course as there was only one golfer (which turned out be you) heading back to the clubhouse so we felt it was safe to cross over the course whereupon you shouted an obscenity and marched up the course to 'have a go' at us.

I do not wish to take part in a public slanging match so will not be replying.
Reply or not. Those are not the facts. I did indeed walk back towards the clubhouse, after picking up balls and I was going to hit them back down the fairway.
I repeatedly shouted to you and pointed you to move to the side but was ignored and you continued to walk straight down the fairway I was playing to.
Yes I swore and came to confront you but your repeated actions had caused me to lose my temper. Given your arogance at your right to be there I thought I did well to keep it together as much as I did!

Liz
07-Jan-14, 19:56
Reply or not. Those are not the facts. I did indeed walk back towards the clubhouse, after picking up balls and I was going to hit them back down the fairway.
I repeatedly shouted to you and pointed you to move to the side but was ignored and you continued to walk straight down the fairway I was playing to.
Yes I swore and came to confront you but your repeated actions had caused me to lose my temper. Given your arogance at your right to be there I thought I did well to keep it together as much as I did!

Okay sorry I know I said I wasn't going to reply but your comments have meant I have no choice.

You did NOT repeatedly shout (the first words we heard were obscenities)and we did NOT ignore you! We were trying to get over the course as we, quite rightly, assumed you had finished playing golf as you were heading back to the club house and it was getting dark. I may add that you hit the ball down the fairway when you must have seen us so could have injured us or our dog!

As for me being 'arrogant' that is not true. I was simply defending myself as your whole manner was so aggressive.

almo
07-Jan-14, 19:58
Unlike all of you, I'm not a lawyer, but your quoted law appears to say that people who do these terrible things on the course are not protected, by the Act, from your claims that they are not behaving responsibly. You can apply to the Civil courts to have them interdicted from dog walking on your golf course.

Good luck with that!
Not being a solicitor either Sid I agree that is one option.
That selfish attitude and your deliberate action to do what you want, in breach of the Act shows how it ruins the situation for those who can look out for more than just themselves.

sids
07-Jan-14, 20:07
Is this the Reiss course?

That's beside the beach. Why are people taking their dogs onto the golf course?

almo
07-Jan-14, 20:14
Okay sorry I know I said I wasn't going to reply but your comments have meant I have no choice.

You did NOT repeatedly shout (the first words we heard were obscenities)and we did NOT ignore you! We were trying to get over the course as we, quite rightly, assumed you had finished playing golf as you were heading back to the club house and it was getting dark. I may add that you hit the ball down the fairway when you must have seen us so could have injured us or our dog!

As for me being 'arrogant' that is not true. I was simply defending myself as your whole manner was so aggressive.
On at least 3 occasions I shouted and both of you turned round. I then pointed to the side and you both just turned back round and continued straight down the fairway.
Yes I hit a golf ball and I would never try to deliberately try to hit an animal or someone but I was on a golf course!!
Where else do I have to go to hit a golf ball?

almo
07-Jan-14, 20:16

Yes it's Reiss. Where did you think it was?

mi16
07-Jan-14, 20:20
I would have continued to play, if you go walking on a golf course you can expect to have to contend with golf balls

Bradcon
07-Jan-14, 20:32

That's beside the beach. Why are people taking their dogs onto the golf course?only time I would think anybody wanted to take dog across golf course would be at high tide when theres no room to walk on the beach.

Liz
07-Jan-14, 20:38
I would have continued to play, if you go walking on a golf course you can expect to have to contend with golf balls

Which is why we only go when it is very quiet and keep away from the fairway. We aren't stupid enough to put ourselves in danger and have no desire to spoil anyone's game of golf.

Liz
07-Jan-14, 20:41

Personally I only go there when the tide is in and there is no room to walk on the beach.

sids
07-Jan-14, 21:04
Personally I only go there when the tide is in and there is no room to walk on the beach.

I hadn't thought of that.

Probably not the best time to go.

almo
07-Jan-14, 21:17
only time I would think anybody wanted to take dog across golf course would be at high tide when theres no room to walk on the beach.
If the tide is in they can walk along the path on the dunes as many do.
It's not across the course, it's just going for a walk on the course which is not permitted even when the tide is in!

amm26
07-Jan-14, 21:24
I am going to walk from point A to point B , therefore I can access the golf course.It just so happens that Point A is the First fairway and Point B is the 18th.....Good luck calling the police because someone walked on the golf course!!!

mackay5255
07-Jan-14, 21:37
I am going to walk from point A to point B , therefore I can access the golf course.It just so happens that Point A is the First fairway and Point B is the 18th.....Good luck calling the police because someone walked on the golf course!!!Precisely. A golf course is a long rectangle - start walking at the bottom right and continue to the top left. You have legally crossed the golf course. The standard of golfing though at Reiss you are just as likely to get hit with a golf ball while walking on the dunes. I remember years ago some golfers deliberately taking potshots at people on the dunes.

sids
07-Jan-14, 21:42
I am going to walk from point A to point B , therefore I can access the golf course.It just so happens that Point A is the First fairway and Point B is the 18th.....Good luck calling the police because someone walked on the golf course!!!

You're crossing it, but longways!

It surprises me that people wish to intrude on other people's game of golf, but I think the Right to Roam laws are little help to the golfers.

mi16
07-Jan-14, 21:58
Ignorance in a nutshell

Moira
07-Jan-14, 22:15
For the ignorant dog walkers that think they have the right to roam along the golf course, you are not and have no right too,

<snip>

Surely there is enough space for us all in the far North of Scotland to live alongside each other peacefully. If the members of Wick Golf Club have an issue with members of the local community, then they need to do more than post this sort of snide rhetoric on a local forum. Unless riggerboy is their spokesman....??

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 22:29
Surely there is enough space for us all in the far North of Scotland to live alongside each other peacefully. If the members of Wick Golf Club have an issue with members of the local community, then they need to do more than post this sort of snide rhetoric on a local forum. Unless riggerboy is their spokesman....??

No I'm not a spokesman for the club but I am a paying member, and yes there's plenty room so why does the course have to suffer, there's a beach not more than 50 yards away that folk can walk along without causing disruption to folk who pay for the up keep of the course, and why is this a snide rhetoric thread, if it's not of interest to you then why bother to post in it,

Moira
07-Jan-14, 22:42
No I'm not a spokesman for the club but I am a paying member, and yes there's plenty room so why does the course have to suffer, there's a beach not more than 50 yards away that folk can walk along without causing disruption to folk who pay for the up keep of the course, and why is this a snide rhetoric thread, if it's not of interest to you then why bother to post in it,

Then you need to take the issue up with the Club Committee.

The thread is of interest to me which is why I posted on it.

riggerboy
07-Jan-14, 22:45
Then you need to take the issue up with the Club Committee.

The thread is of interest to me which is why I posted on it.

I don't need to take it up with the committee, to air my thoughts on here,

almo
07-Jan-14, 23:09
Precisely. A golf course is a long rectangle - start walking at the bottom right and continue to the top left. You have legally crossed the golf course. The standard of golfing though at Reiss you are just as likely to get hit with a golf ball while walking on the dunes. I remember years ago some golfers deliberately taking potshots at people on the dunes.
Kind of shows the ignorance and selfishness we are up agains where there is a greater willing to contort fact to suit what they want about the meening of crossing or just walking on. Point A and B refer to Right of way and they have to be 2 public places.
If as you say the standard is so poor at Reiss, wouldn't there be nothing to worry about if they were aiming at people on the dunes?

gingernut
07-Jan-14, 23:15
Riggerboy, Almo I can sympathise with your frustration. I can't understand why any dog walker would need to walk on a golf course when there's masses of space and alternative walks in Caithness.

amm26
07-Jan-14, 23:31
I used to work on one of the worlds oldest and most prestigious golf course, we used to get lots of dog walkers, tourists and locals walking on and across the course. Members and Staff were always very tolerant and polite to them, in return most did not interfere with play nor leave dog mess behind.Chasing them whilst waving your roaming rights handbook high above your head and screaming at the top of your lungs will merely encourage more of us to take a stroll down the links

bothyman
07-Jan-14, 23:36
Well, if someone told me not to walk my dog on the golfcourse in the same tone as the first post in this thread, I would be upset and more than likely tell them where to go. But if someone asked me politely not to, I would be more than happy to do as they asked.
Maybe I'm old fashioned,
but a little bit of respect goes a long way on both sides.
Do all members of the golf club have the same aggressive attitude towards outsiders ???

Bradcon
07-Jan-14, 23:36
If the tide is in they can walk along the path on the dunes as many do.
It's not across the course, it's just going for a walk on the course which is not permitted even when the tide is in!aye they could but think it would be easier at side of golf course.

almo
08-Jan-14, 00:06
I used to work on one of the worlds oldest and most prestigious golf course, we used to get lots of dog walkers, tourists and locals walking on and across the course. Members and Staff were always very tolerant and polite to them, in return most did not interfere with play nor leave dog mess behind.Chasing them whilst waving your roaming rights handbook high above your head and screaming at the top of your lungs will merely encourage more of us to take a stroll down the links
Do You mind me asking the course, just so I get an idea of the course and the number of course staff.
First reason is because as has been mentioned there is a right to cross a course in the code. Just like those walking the dunes at Reiss, walkers can take the easiest path and come onto the course to cross the burn beside the 16th green before going back to the path. I would prefer if they didn't have to but I accept it as that is part of the code and is a slight price I have to pay for the common good. As pointed out just going for the walk is a different case and not covered.
Second, I'm assuming on your former course there were paths that the club could afford to maintain and had the staff to do the work. You probably understand there are no paths on WGC and as a small club we can't afford the luxury of that work even though there is no requirement to do so.

We are not the ones in the wrong, we would like to see some consideration shown to us. Not some dog walkers who have been given warnings for not picking up after their dogs on town walks then moving on to the course because they think they can't get moved on.

Rather than go for a walk in deliberate breach of the access code why not obey it like most responsible people do. Or when you see the speed cameras positions posted in the press do you go out and break the speed limit passed them? I doubt it!

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 00:13
We are not the ones in the wrong, we would like to see some consideration shown to us. Not some dog walkers who have been given warnings for not picking up after their dogs on town walks then moving on to the course because they think they can't get moved on.About three or four years ago, from the top of the big dune I witnessed a golfer go off to the back of the dunes near that little shelter hut there and take a dump (pardon the language). He didn't pick it up or bury it and left tissue papers to blow in the wind.

sids
08-Jan-14, 00:16
About three or four years ago, from the top of the big dune I witnessed a golfer go off to the back of the dunes near that little shelter hut there and take a dump (pardon the language). He didn't pick it up or bury it and left tissue papers to blow in the wind.

Golfers, eh? Never trust them!

mi16
08-Jan-14, 00:21
About three or four years ago, from the top of the big dune I witnessed a golfer go off to the back of the dunes near that little shelter hut there and take a dump (pardon the language). He didn't pick it up or bury it and left tissue papers to blow in the wind.What kind of pervert watches a man having a bowel movement?

almo
08-Jan-14, 00:26
Well, if someone told me not to walk my dog on the golfcourse in the same tone as the first post in this thread, I would be upset and more than likely tell them where to go. But if someone asked me politely not to, I would be more than happy to do as they asked.
Maybe I'm old fashioned,
but a little bit of respect goes a long way on both sides.
Do all members of the golf club have the same aggressive attitude towards outsiders ???
As the member who did shout and was "aggressive" I can say the norm is, the walker is talked to politely they go on a rant about they can go where they want and regularly lift their fists.
That is the first time I've acted like that but in future rather than walk away from threats of violence when being polite, I may wait to see what they do when I don't walk away.
Rather than decide you are now going for a walk on the course, why not read the Code. Understand that is not within your right to walk there and go to one of the plentiful areas you are allowed as mentioned. Not go looking for a confrontation where you are in the wrong!

Big Gaz
08-Jan-14, 00:30
About three or four years ago, from the top of the big dune I witnessed a golfer go off to the back of the dunes near that little shelter hut there and take a dump (pardon the language). He didn't pick it up or bury it and left tissue papers to blow in the wind.

Damn, there was me thinking i had gotten away with it too! :roll:

Excuse my ignorance here but if i were a golf course owner/operator, wouldn't that mean i owned the land and that nobody had the right of way without my permission and thus were "trespassing" or is that only in other parts of UK and not Scotland?

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 00:32
Understand that is not within your right to walk thereWhy do you keep saying that? It IS within their right to walk across the golf course. Plain and simple.

almo
08-Jan-14, 00:34
What were you using to watch? That is over a mile in a straight line!
You seem to have a lot off issues against golfers, what's your next anti golfer story? :-)

mi16
08-Jan-14, 00:38
What were you using to watch? That is over a mile in a straight line!You seem to have a lot off issues against golfers, what's your next anti golfer story? :-)It seems Mackay also inspected the turd afterwards, either Gillian mckeith or one sick sick puppy

almo
08-Jan-14, 00:46
Damn, there was me thinking i had gotten away with it too! :roll:

Excuse my ignorance here but if i were a golf course owner/operator, wouldn't that mean i owned the land and that nobody had the right of way without my permission and thus were "trespassing" or is that only in other parts of UK and not Scotland?
Gaz, as I said feel free at the club any time but watch the top of the dunes for pervs :-)
In short, Under the Access Code if there is a path or need members of the public may CROSS a golf course to get to a public area. Otherwise they are not permitted access as it is a sports ground and excluded.
Just like I can't walk into someones garden and do what I want. Which I respect but would love to see the reaction of one of these dog walkers faces if I went into their garden and started knocking divots out of their grass or through their rose bushes :-) I bet they would know the code then!

Why do you keep saying that? It IS within their right to walk across the golf course. Plain and simple.
See what I said above and numerous others have. Or PM your Address and I'll practice my golf swing in your garden if you want :-)

amm26
08-Jan-14, 01:37
Do You mind me asking the course, just so I get an idea of the course and the number of course staff.First reason is because as has been mentioned there is a right to cross a course in the code. Just like those walking the dunes at Reiss, walkers can take the easiest path and come onto the course to cross the burn beside the 16th green before going back to the path. I would prefer if they didn't have to but I accept it as that is part of the code and is a slight price I have to pay for the common good. As pointed out just going for the walk is a different case and not covered. Second, I'm assuming on your former course there were paths that the club could afford to maintain and had the staff to do the work. You probably understand there are no paths on WGC and as a small club we can't afford the luxury of that work even though there is no requirement to do so.We are not the ones in the wrong, we would like to see some consideration shown to us. Not some dog walkers who have been given warnings for not picking up after their dogs on town walks then moving on to the course because they think they can't get moved on.Rather than go for a walk in deliberate breach of the access code why not obey it like most responsible people do. Or when you see the speed cameras positions posted in the press do you go out and break the speed limit passed them? I doubt it! The course was Royal Aberdeen. We certainly had more staff than at Wick, but we also had far more walkers of all varieties accessing the course, if you have ever played there, you would understand that the course is a sight and attraction to walkers in itself. The balance came with the way they were treated. Members and staff would speak to them, chat with them and advise them Where was best/safest to walk. Walkers may cross the golf course in any direction they wish, providing they are crossing it and not merely following from the first tee to the eighteenth pin (which is unlikely to be regarded as crossing) Also speeding, which kills more per year than stray golf balls and slipping on dog turd, is hardly a comparative "crime"

RagnarRocks
08-Jan-14, 09:44
Although if you do deliberately hit a golf ball at a person you could well fall foul of the law as that can be construed as assault or worse.
All this reminds me is why I've never felt the desire to play golf or go on golf courses.
All this shouting and grumpiness about a little ball is quite ridiculous more akin to a 5 yr old having a tantrum.
Its a game nothing more nothing less.

And that doesn't mean I condone deliberately aggravating golfers

kosacid
08-Jan-14, 11:02
FORE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_%28golf%29

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 12:34
Gaz, as I said feel free at the club any time but watch the top of the dunes for pervs :-)In short, Under the Access Code if there is a path or need members of the public may CROSS a golf course to get to a public area. Otherwise they are not permitted access as it is a sports ground and excluded. Just like I can't walk into someones garden and do what I want. Which I respect but would love to see the reaction of one of these dog walkers faces if I went into their garden and started knocking divots out of their grass or through their rose bushes :-) I bet they would know the code then!See what I said above and numerous others have. Or PM your Address and I'll practice my golf swing in your garden if you want :-)I knew it wouldn't take long for your ability to put your point across to run out and resort to the usual childishness that is typical of your type. What little credibility the pair of you started out with just disappeared over the horizon.

cat
08-Jan-14, 13:29
For a change of walk,why not take a wander across the harmsworth park in the middle of a game?!!

Seriously,there are plenty of places to walk dogs, i cant understand what the problem is? there is no right to wander around on the golf course.

Also I'm guessing by the dog walkers profile picture I met her on the beach the other day,I was helping my daughter cross the stones(she doesnt like it) in one hand and in the other I had my dog,under control on the lead. it should have been clear to any dog person that my dog was scared of the 3 dogs coming up to her,but the walker just did nothing. you dont own the place,or have the right to roam on it.tide in,go somewhere else!! I'm not surprised you tested the golfers patience,you certainly tested mine!!!!

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 13:35
For a change of walk,why not take a wander across the harmsworth park in the middle of a game?!! But the law is quite clear that you CAN'T walk across Harmsworth Park during a game.It is equally clear that the law says you CAN walk across a golf course. It's just that the people in the pink pullovers want to perpetrate a myth to the contrary.

orkneycadian
08-Jan-14, 14:08
Brilliant! Another bunfight!

Liz
08-Jan-14, 14:35
For a change of walk,why not take a wander across the harmsworth park in the middle of a game?!!

Seriously,there are plenty of places to walk dogs, i cant understand what the problem is? there is no right to wander around on the golf course.

Also I'm guessing by the dog walkers profile picture I met her on the beach the other day,I was helping my daughter cross the stones(she doesnt like it) in one hand and in the other I had my dog,under control on the lead. it should have been clear to any dog person that my dog was scared of the 3 dogs coming up to her,but the walker just did nothing. you dont own the place,or have the right to roam on it.tide in,go somewhere else!! I'm not surprised you tested the golfers patience,you certainly tested mine!!!!

May I ask which dog walkers profile picture you are referring to? I can only assume it is mine as can't see any other with a dog on it. In which case you did NOT meet me on the beach the other day and I only have one dog!

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 14:39
The whole issue of dogs in this is just a red herring and something to do with petty prejudices of riggerboy and his lickspittle.It doesn't matter whether you have a pet dog with you, or if you are Father Jack with his pet brick - THE LAW ALLOWS YOU TO WALK ACROSS A GOLF COURSE.

cat
08-Jan-14, 14:43
This could get me started on who owns the harmsworth and its uses,but I wont. Believe me,the dog walker in question didn't even attempt to keep out of the way of the golfer. I don't play golf, I do have dogs, personaly if the tide was in I would go elsewhere,or walk up the road and along the track.there are so many places to go a walk I cant see why there is any need to walk around the golf course,and she was doing that,not skirting round the edge!!

Liz
08-Jan-14, 14:46
This could get me started on who owns the harmsworth and its uses,but I wont. Believe me,the dog walker in question didn't even attempt to keep out of the way of the golfer. I don't play golf, I do have dogs, personaly if the tide was in I would go elsewhere,or walk up the road and along the track.there are so many places to go a walk I cant see why there is any need to walk around the golf course,and she was doing that,not skirting round the edge!!

Excuse me but you haven't replied to my question.

riggerboy
08-Jan-14, 14:47
The whole issue of dogs in this is just a red herring and something to do with petty prejudices of riggerboy and his lickspittle.It doesn't matter whether you have a pet dog with you, or if you are Father Jack with his pet brick - THE LAW ALLOWS YOU TO WALK ACROSS A GOLF COURSE.

For your information, I don't have petty prejudices with anyone walking the course with or without a dog , I was merely stating that non members don't have the rights that they thought they had, and if you wish to walk ALONG the course with you dog, please clean up after it, and try to keep out of the players way, ,,, maybe Mackay ,,,, you should have read all the posts instead if jumping like a fruit

cat
08-Jan-14, 14:51
May I ask which dog walkers profile picture you are referring to? I can only assume it is mine as can't see any other with a dog on it. In which case you did NOT meet me on the beach the other day and I only have one dog! please accept my appologies then.

Liz
08-Jan-14, 15:00
please accept my appologies then.

Apology accepted.

Kodiak
08-Jan-14, 15:05

Interesting statement this is. According to this statement :-

1. You do not play Golf
2. You do have Dogs but would not go on to the Golf Course with them

So to say what you did in the above statement, you must have been on the Golf Course to see what you stated you saw. You must have seen it as you stated " Believe me,the dog walker in question didn't even attempt to keep out of the way of the golfer." and "she was doing that,not skirting round the edge" Then only way that you can make such statements is if you were there to see what was occurring.

So if you do not play golf or walk your dogs there what were you doing on the Golf Course?

octane
08-Jan-14, 15:20
I gather your ball landed in a turd and the R&A and local rules did not entitle you to a free drop, kudos if you played that shot.....stand well clear :lol:

amazing how threads on here can go off course :confused

cat
08-Jan-14, 15:35
That would put me in either the carpark,the dunes or a field nearby.

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 15:38
For your information, I don't have petty prejudices with anyone walking the course with or without a dog Clearly you do since in a previous post you said you had no problem with someone walking the course (which you had previously claimed was illegal) but you did have an issue if they had a dog.The situation is quite clear. You were obviously on the course the other day and tried a bit of bullying on some woman with her dog who then must stood up to you in front of your mates sorely denting your masculinity. Therefore this rant here was clearly to try and restore that in front of your friend almo, but it has all backfired big time and you are now looking more effeminate than ever.

riggerboy
08-Jan-14, 15:45
Clearly you do since in a previous post you said you had no problem with someone walking the course (which you had previously claimed was illegal) but you did have an issue if they had a dog.The situation is quite clear. You were obviously on the course the other day and tried a bit of bullying on some woman with her dog who then must stood up to you in front of your mates sorely denting your masculinity. Therefore this rant here was clearly to try and restore that in front of your friend almo, but it has all backfired big time and you are now looking more effeminate than ever.

Hahahaha as I said you should read the posts before jumping in like a fruit,

Mrs Bradey
08-Jan-14, 16:38
But the law is quite clear that you CAN'T walk across Harmsworth Park during a game.It is equally clear that the law says you CAN walk across a golf course. It's just that the people in the pink pullovers want to perpetrate a myth to the contrary. the law does not state you can walk where you choose on a golf course, it says you may cross the course on a path or right of way, and whilst doing so you must keep any dogs you have with you on a short lead and under control. its quite clear when you read the specific section of the code relating to golf courses. if there is no path ,technically you can't cross unless you are going somewhere. inventing an imaginary "point B" does not alter the rules I'm afraid. ps I'm not a fan of golf at all, in fact I think it a very boring game. but golfers have the right to an undisturbed peaceful game as you the dog walker have the right to a peaceful walk with your dog!

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 17:24
the law does not state you can walk where you choose on a golf course, it says you may cross the course ...Which is precisely what I said...
....THE LAW ALLOWS YOU TO WALK ACROSS A GOLF COURSE.

Mrs Bradey
08-Jan-14, 17:57
Which is precisely what I said...the law allows you to use a path or right of way that itself crosses a golf course, and nowhere else! NO PATH-NO ROW-NO ACCESS. which is not the same as saying "the law allows you to walk across a golf course" it allows you to use a path!

riggerboy
08-Jan-14, 18:14
Thank Polly,

Post 12 Mackay, you really should read before jumping in fruit

mackay5255
08-Jan-14, 18:20
the law allows you to use a path or right of way that itself crosses a golf course, and nowhere else! It categorically DOES NOT say that. If a path exists, the Code suggests (and only suggests) you should use it. If no path exists, you can cross wherever you like. That may be the laws in your beloved Englandshire but here we tend to be less anal in our attitudes.

cat
08-Jan-14, 18:48
I cant see why they cant just walk the dogs somewhere else? why go out just to wind other people up just because you think you have the right to do so? just as annoying as the people who sit on here all day just to argue all the time. get a life!!!

orkneycadian
08-Jan-14, 19:12
It categorically DOES NOT say that. If a path exists, the Code suggests (and only suggests) you should use it. If no path exists, you can cross wherever you like. That may be the laws in your beloved Englandshire but here we tend to be less anal in our attitudes.

Would you be able to ride a welsh horse, of questionable ownership across it in order to avoid a blocked road?

almo
08-Jan-14, 19:14
It categorically DOES NOT say that. If a path exists, the Code suggests (and only suggests) you should use it. If no path exists, you can cross wherever you like. That may be the laws in your beloved Englandshire but here we tend to be less anal in our attitudes.
Now you have finally used the correct word "cross" you only have to understand the meaning! but I think that is going to be a big task for you.
Cross is to go pass over the course from one side to another, not to walk along the length of the course as you try to distort it.
It's a simple concept, try reading the Code without your prejudice.

cat
08-Jan-14, 19:46
Would you be able to ride a welsh horse, of questionable ownership across it in order to avoid a blocked road? now that is funny!! well most normal people wouldn't,but miss t voice of reason is the type off annoying jobsworth people that would!!

riggerboy
08-Jan-14, 19:53
Would you be able to ride a welsh horse, of questionable ownership across it in order to avoid a blocked road?

As long as you clean up after it haha

Mrs Bradey
08-Jan-14, 20:29
It categorically DOES NOT say that. If a path exists, the Code suggests (and only suggests) you should use it. If no path exists, you can cross wherever you like. That may be the laws in your beloved Englandshire but here we tend to be less anal in our attitudes.well excuse me for being anal!!!! that I can accept but not the offensive or racist comments!!!! for your information, please read the first line of page 96 of the Scottish outdoor access code...................... you can ONLY exercise access rights to CROSS OVER a golf course and in doing so, ...etc, it goes on to say: follow paths where they exist; ....so therefore if a path exists you must use it! if no path exists, then you must be going to a determined point! not just the other side of the course and back or even around the course!! no more racism or needless offensive posts please!!

orkneycadian
08-Jan-14, 21:04
no more racism or needless offensive posts please!!

Sorry - :(

Would you be able to ride a horse of non specific origin and questionable ownership across the golf course to avoid a blocked road?

Mrs Bradey
08-Jan-14, 21:08
Sorry - :( Would you be able to ride a horse of non specific origin and questionable ownership across the golf course to avoid a blocked road?that's much better thank you, I feel more relaxed now!

mi16
08-Jan-14, 21:12
It categorically DOES NOT say that. If a path exists, the Code suggests (and only suggests) you should use it. If no path exists, you can cross wherever you like. That may be the laws in your beloved Englandshire but here we tend to be less anal in our attitudes.Never mind all this nonsense, let's get to the crux of the matter.Why were you watching a man have a poop and then carrying out a post poop inspection?

Phill
08-Jan-14, 22:16
Tide Times (http://www.britishbeaches.info/sinclairs-bay-keiss-highland/weather-tides)

Tesco Opening Times (http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=5330)

Hard Hats (http://www.golfclubmanagement.net/2012/03/hard-hat-warning-for-golf-club-employees/)

You're Welcome.

Was thinking of keeping some pigs on there, but.......

mackay5255
09-Jan-14, 00:59
Now you have finally used the correct word "cross" you only have to understand the meaning! but I think that is going to be a big task for you. Cross is to go pass over the course from one side to another, not to walk along the length of the course as you try to distort it. It's a simple concept, try reading the Code without your prejudice.At long last both The Organgrinder AND his Monkey have conceded that it is perfectly lawful to walk across a golf course.

almo
09-Jan-14, 01:36
At long last both The Organgrinder AND his Monkey have conceded that it is perfectly lawful to walk across a golf course.
Thats nice of you, another post of insults without addressing the facts as you acuse others.

As I pointed out you finally used the correct word, CROSS not across. You are still having a problem with the meanings.
Lets recap,

On page one of this thread, reply #10 Pollycat posts a link to the Act

On Page 8/9 it makes this simple point, (I've only posted the golf one as that is what is under discussion)

“5. The main places where access rights do not apply are.

• golf courses (but you can cross a golf course provided you
don’t interfere with any games of golf)”

You may CROSS a golf course, not walk along it!

Now if you can, please explain why you think you are right and I'm wrong without resorting to insults that would be good. If you can point out where I'm wrong i'll happily stand corrected and apologise.

sids
09-Jan-14, 07:44
As I pointed out you finally used the correct word, CROSS not across.
• golf courses (but you can cross a golf course provided you
don’t interfere with any games of golf)”

You may CROSS a golf course, not walk along it!

What if the course is as wide as it is long?

Which way is across?

mackay5255
09-Jan-14, 09:38
As I pointed out you finally used the correct word, CROSS not across. You may CROSS a golf course, not walk along it!How else do you cross a golf course without walking across it? Levitation? Magic Carpet? Jet pack?Just accept it that some wifie embarrassed you and live with it.

RagnarRocks
09-Jan-14, 10:03
Is there a bridge or loch on the golf course as the local troll seems very upset about this thread:0))

Mrs Bradey
09-Jan-14, 10:50
At long last both The Organgrinder AND his Monkey have conceded that it is perfectly lawful to walk across a golf course. the word CROSS and the word ACROSS are two very different words. ........when you cross an area/obstacle you go from one side to the other! when you reach your destination at the other side of the area/obstacle you are across! ........................Key word; DESTINATION.

Mrs Bradey
09-Jan-14, 10:56
How else do you cross a golf course without walking across it? Levitation? Magic Carpet? Jet pack?Just accept it that some wifie embarrassed you and live with it.so now we add sexism to the list of insults tut tut tut!!

bothyman
09-Jan-14, 12:14
It doesn't matter which way you walk across it .

Length, Breadth or Diagonal. You are still crossing it ??? whichever way you go.??

Mrs Bradey
09-Jan-14, 12:27
It doesn't matter which way you walk across it .Length, Breadth or Diagonal. You are still crossing it ??? whichever way you go.?? exactly! where you choose to CROSS depends on your DESTINATION at the other side!

Mr Z
09-Jan-14, 12:40
Don't think I will take up the game of golf. I thought the only hazards on a course were bunkers and water.
Appears here there are the hazards of dog walkers, dog turds, human turds, trolls bunfights etc.

almo
09-Jan-14, 17:47
What if the course is as wide as it is long?

Which way is across?
If it was square I'd have a think about it but if MacKay cant grasp the concept of to cross or go along on a rectangle how the hell could you explain a square or a circle!!

almo
09-Jan-14, 17:55
How else do you cross a golf course without walking across it? Levitation? Magic Carpet? Jet pack?Just accept it that some wifie embarrassed you and live with it.
Cycle? The Woman simply showwed her ignorance, how i'd love to be a fly on the wall if the 2 off you ever met up :-) I'm sure the logic would be astounding!

Liz
09-Jan-14, 18:23
Cycle? The Woman simply showwed her ignorance, how i'd love to be a fly on the wall if the 2 off you ever met up :-) I'm sure the logic would be astounding!

Excuse but me but I do not appreciate being called ignorant! If you had approached us in a reasonable manner, instead of swearing and ranting, we could have had an adult conversation.

As I already said we only go for a walk on the course when it is very quiet and have never interrupted a game of golf as we respect the golfers' rights to play. The only reason we crossed over the fairway to go for a walk, on the day in question, was there were no other golfers apart from you who were on your way back to the clubhouse, and it was getting dark. This could have been explained to you at the time but you were so 'in our face' we just wanted to get away.

You admitted you did this but said it was the first time. Strange how you chose this to be with two women!

I really don't want to keep having to comment on this thread but your personal 'attacks' leave me with no option. :(

almo
09-Jan-14, 19:07
Excuse but me but I do not appreciate being called ignorant! If you had approached us in a reasonable manner, instead of swearing and ranting, we could have had an adult conversation.

As I already said we only go for a walk on the course when it is very quiet and have never interrupted a game of golf as we respect the golfers' rights to play. The only reason we crossed over the fairway to go for a walk, on the day in question, was there were no other golfers apart from you who were on your way back to the clubhouse, and it was getting dark. This could have been explained to you at the time but you were so 'in our face' we just wanted to get away.

You admitted you did this but said it was the first time. Strange how you chose this to be with two women!

I really don't want to keep having to comment on this thread but your personal 'attacks' leave me with no option. :(
Once again.
Yes I was heading in the direction off the clubhouse but my intention was to hit some more balls back down the 1st as there was plenty of light for me to do so. It was late in the day because the wind had been so strong earlier it was not fit to play so I was trying to make the most of the light as the wind eased.

On shouting and getting your attention, I pointed to the side and shouted to try to get you to move aside and I did swear. I make no apology for that.
You made no attempt to move to the side but walked straight along the fairway where I was hitting! That to me is sheer stupidity or arrogance, that caused me to lose my temper. That is a VERY rare thing for me to do but it still astounds me that you wouldn't get out of the way!
Even in the cases where walkers have a right to CROSS a golf course the Act also states the walker should give way to the golfer.

At that time if it had been my granny or the Caithness Rugby team I would have reacted in the same way, not just because it was 2 females.

Liz
09-Jan-14, 19:32
Once again.
The first thing you shouted was an obscenity so didn't really want to meet you and therefore carried on down the fairway as quickly as we could to get away. It was only when you followed us,shouting along the way, that we stopped.

There is obviously no reasoning with you on this subject so won't even try anymore but can you honestly not see how threatening your behaviour was?

almo
09-Jan-14, 19:50
Yes, no reasoning with me at all!!
There I was on a golf course hitting golf balls down the fairway when I had to stop because there were 2 peole who had no right to be walking down the middle of the faiway doing exactly that! What was I thinking!
I can see I probably was a threatening sight, but can you see why?

Liz
09-Jan-14, 20:04
Yes, no reasoning with me at all!!
There I was on a golf course hitting golf balls down the fairway when I had to stop because there were 2 peole who had no right to be walking down the middle of the faiway doing exactly that! What was I thinking!
I can see I probably was a threatening sight, but can you see why?

But you WEREN'T hitting balls down the fairway when we went for a walk and, had we known you were playing a game of golf, we would have gone in another direction. We wouldn't want to stop your game or get hit!
If you had attracted our attention in a reasonable manner then we could have talked about it and sure it could have been dealt with amicably.

Thumper
09-Jan-14, 20:04
Oh my days! All this over someone walking on,in or around a golf course? Sheesh good to see life's priorities are making sure nobody interrupts a shot! Is life seriously so small its worth getting het up about something like this? Good to see that Caithness is still an easy going place! X

Margaret M.
09-Jan-14, 20:13
Dang, I thought golf was supposed to be a rather relaxing sport -- seems not. A golfer yelling obscenities, acting in a threatening manner and getting his plus fours all up in a wad, was your round of golf that bad? Maybe it's time for a new hobby.

Big Gaz
09-Jan-14, 20:28
Dang, I thought golf was supposed to be a rather relaxing sport -- seems not. A golfer yelling obscenities, acting in a threatening manner and getting his plus fours all up in a wad, was your round of golf that bad? Maybe it's time for a new hobby.

I hear dog walking is the "in" thing these days. All that freedom to go wherever you want,the sheer bliss and ignorance of all surroundings....what more could a dog walker want?

RagnarRocks
09-Jan-14, 21:18
I've got 7 Labradors can't say I've ever had a problem up here walking them away from other people and not causing any problems just takes a little consideration for other people and lots of poo bags. Plenty of open spaces to let them play and have fun, infact I doubt anyone has even noticed me out and about with them. But I'd never consider a golf course a suitable place to take them for a walk :0)

almo
09-Jan-14, 22:38
Oh another wielder of the big wooden spoon! :-)
I still enjoy the game even when I'm playing badly. What lowers the red mist is going on the course and some areas are not worth going to look for a golf ball because it takes all your time to try and plot a course through the Dog Sh1t!
It used to be restricted to the rough but now it's down the fairways, on tees, bridges, need I go on! All done on ground excluded from the Right to Roam which should be clear to anyone with a few brain cells If they read the Act
OH and everyone who walks a dog there says they clean up after their little pooch, it was always someone else. LOL
I will give some people a bit of credit that they bag the dirt after their dog, I know because you can find the bags discarded in the rough!

I've nothing against animals, the problem is the people in charge of them. I've a friend who Is a member and we regularly play golf together who has an extremely well behaved dog that he used to take with him for a walk. The dog would walk round with us obediently, hardly ever outwith 20 feet. The owner bagged any dirt and took it home for disposal. I said he "used to", he is so appalled and embarrassed with the fouling on the course that the other owners can't be bothered cleaning up after their pets, he won't take his dog out.

mackay5255
09-Jan-14, 23:06
Yes I was heading in the direction off the clubhouse but my intention was to hit some more balls back down the 1stHere it comes, you've finally now almost managed to admit it - you weren't playing golf at all but you'd spotted a great opportunity to go and harass a couple of women. What a man that must have made you feel. Except you got back more than you expected on this occasion.

teenybash
09-Jan-14, 23:11
Oh my days! All this over someone walking on,in or around a golf course? Sheesh good to see life's priorities are making sure nobody interrupts a shot! Is life seriously so small its worth getting het up about something like this? Good to see that Caithness is still an easy going place! X

You forgot Cross and Across...just thought I would mention it.......[lol]

starfish
09-Jan-14, 23:32
i have read this post where you were playing or not i do not think a golf course is the place to walk your dog its just plain wrong there is plenty of other place to walk and a lot nicer than a well kept lawn (sorry golfers) would these people walk there dog on a football pitch bet they would not try to walk then on the pitch in wick , But what really gets my goat is people that stop and clean up after there dog then just throw the bag , who do the think cleans these bags up tyhe poo fairy .

almo
09-Jan-14, 23:35
Here it comes, you've finally now almost managed to admit it - you weren't playing golf at all but you'd spotted a great opportunity to go and harass a couple of women. What a man that must have made you feel. Except you got back more than you expected on this occasion.
Sorry you are well wide of the mark once again.
I was the only golfer there so I hit 15/20 balls from the first tee down the fairway. I then went to pick them up then hit them back towards the clubhouse.
Guess what I did then?
I picked then up and hit them back down the 1st fairway! Went down and picked them up and hit them back towards the clubhouse.
Want another guess?
Yip, I picked them up and headed back to the clubhouse/1st tee and when i went to hit there were 2 people walking down the fairway where i was going to hit balls for the 3rd time in an hour!
Not quite what is in your twisted mind.
I also told Liz earlier, on that day I would have reacted the same to my Gran or the Caithness rugby team.
Only thing is that I'm sure that they would have used some common sense, taken the advice/warning and moved away from the centre of the fairway to get away from the area someone was hitting golf balls to.
As would all reasonable people, you on the other hand would not take that option.

almo
09-Jan-14, 23:47
i have read this post where you were playing or not i do not think a golf course is the place to walk your dog its just plain wrong there is plenty of other place to walk and a lot nicer than a well kept lawn (sorry golfers) would these people walk there dog on a football pitch bet they would not try to walk then on the pitch in wick , But what really gets my goat is people that stop and clean up after there dog then just throw the bag , who do the think cleans these bags up tyhe poo fairy .
I know there is little chance to keep the idiots who don't clear up after their dogs off the Golf Course when as you say they are happy to leave the SH1t on the Harmsworh knowing all the kids go there to play football. Pure and utter selfish MUPPETS

mackay5255
10-Jan-14, 00:15
Sorry you ..... would not take that option. Is all this text just for the purposes of trying to save face with the rest of the golf club committee? Because it makes no sense to anybody else.

almo
10-Jan-14, 00:46
Is all this text just for the purposes of trying to save face with the rest of the golf club committee? Because it makes no sense to anybody else.
Another wild guess where you are wrong. I am not on the Committee! I am just a member at the club with no face lost.
You seem to be in the minority as to what the facts and sense are. Do you have many more straws to grasp at?

Mrs Bradey
10-Jan-14, 09:58
Is all this text just for the purposes of trying to save face with the rest of the golf club committee? Because it makes no sense to anybody else.you need to stop editing text and taking random cuts out of context!!! just accept you have lost the argument !

mackay5255
10-Jan-14, 11:16
I am not on the Committee! I am just a member at the clubYou're not very good at doing your own bidding. By giving a false name I therefore pity the innocent guy who is now going to be disciplined by the club for bringing it into disrepute. You even had to get someone else to speak for you to start this thread, you were so emasculated by the whole experience. Just as well nobody has put your real name on here yet.

almo
10-Jan-14, 17:54
You're not very good at doing your own bidding. By giving a false name I therefore pity the innocent guy who is now going to be disciplined by the club for bringing it into disrepute. You even had to get someone else to speak for you to start this thread, you were so emasculated by the whole experience. Just as well nobody has put your real name on here yet.
Yet another delusional post from you, what are you on? Try sticking to fact not these works of fiction you keep posting.

False name, are you referring to my username here? I'm obviously the only one doing that, is 5255 your surname or christian name?

As for someone being disciplined by the committee, WTF? That is not happening but another one of your fairy-tales.
I'm sure everyone at the club would know exactly who I am as I've been banging the drum for a year now about getting something done! They know of the incident with the 2 walking down the fairway so if they were looking for anyone they could never get the wrong person!

Riggerboy started this thread all on his own and I knew nothing about it until I saw it.
The biggest laugh is, those who know him will know he certainly wouldn't jump when someone told him what to do!

Now then, should I hold on to see if you are willing to confirm who I think you are or will I save that for later along with the fixation you have on my masculinity?
Later I think ;-)

mackay5255
10-Jan-14, 18:01
Riggerboy started this thread all on his own and I knew nothing about it until I saw it.
The biggest laugh is, those who know him will know he certainly wouldn't jump when someone told him what to do! He was pretty quick to jump out of this debate though when he was labelled as the oaf and not you.

Now then, should I hold on to see if you are willing to confirm who I think you are or will I save that for later
No, now please. After all you gave your name to the women you assualted.

almo
10-Jan-14, 18:42
He was pretty quick to jump out of this debate though when he was labelled as the oaf and not you.

And still you continue to make things up and have no defence for the vitriolic fiction you post once pointed out how wrong you are!
Have you given any thought to the fact he might not have access to the internet at the moment. Other than they might just be fed up listening to the rubbish you are spouting! (I would ask him but given he is out of town with has very limited internet and mobile access, I can't)

As for assaulted! I think you might want to tread a little more carefully making such slanderous statements!
You obviously have my name so feel free to pass on yours if you want me to confirm you have the right name.

I'm quite sure you are only happy to remain an anonymous internet warrior. (Not quite the same with the paint job on your car though)

mackay5255
10-Jan-14, 19:14
As for assaulted! I think you might want to tread a little more carefully making such slanderous statements!Well from my position it was clearly verbal assault / verbal abuse of two innocent female members of the public just because you fancied a bit of chauvinism.

secretsquirrel
10-Jan-14, 19:15
When people are "walking" their dog on a golf course lets hope for the golfers sake that the dog does not run after the ball and bring it back for the golfer. LOL

riggerboy
10-Jan-14, 19:26
He was pretty quick to jump out of this debate though when he was labelled as the oaf and not you.

mackay yer a , i didnt jump out of anything, i had to go back to work, as for jumping i very much doubt i`ll jump for anyone let alone a cyber like yourself, now i`ll give you my name in a pm or put it on here if you want, i wont hide behind a username, and be a cyber bully, ive been a member of this site for over 10 year, how long is it since you joined, is yer life that empty that all you can do is keep trolling through the org and try winding folk up, GET A LIFE MIN,

almo
10-Jan-14, 19:31
Well from my position it was clearly verbal assault / verbal abuse of two innocent female members of the public just because you fancied a bit of chauvinism.
That is your point of view and it's still wrong on just about every level, but you're not going to listen to any reason so move on.
We will see over the next few weeks/months who can walk on the course.

Mrs Bradey
10-Jan-14, 19:32
Is all this text just for the purposes of trying to save face with the rest of the golf club committee? Because it makes no sense to anybody else.who are you to say "it makes no sense to anybody else"...... I take it you now understand you don't quite have the rights you thought you had, and have now moved on to inflated insults and slanders remarks! accept you have lost and shut up!

mackay5255
10-Jan-14, 19:36
That is your point of view and it's still wrong on just about every levelIt is exactly what happened and you even confirmed it in a previous post.
We will see over the next few weeks/months who can walk on the course.Well I walked on it at lunchtime today.

mi16
10-Jan-14, 19:51
Well from my position it was clearly verbal assault / verbal abuse of two innocent female members of the public just because you fancied a bit of chauvinism.Verbal assault!!!! Get a lifeYour posts are assaulting the eyes of the orgers.

starfish
10-Jan-14, 19:56
this thread is getting like the missing pig and horses so it will disappear

billmoseley
10-Jan-14, 20:12
Can you walk your pig on the golf course [lol]:roll:

Big Gaz
10-Jan-14, 21:02
Can you walk your pig on the golf course [lol]:roll:

Dunno Bill, any idea if you can walk foals? :cool:

Ooh i see the ban hammer has been thrown again. wonder what name he will come back on the Org as this time!

RagnarRocks
10-Jan-14, 21:55
By my reckoning that's two he has used up in as many weeks. You can change the name but can't change the personality ahh the beauty of Trolls :0))

almo
10-Jan-14, 22:01
Dunno Bill, any idea if you can walk foals? :cool:

Ooh i see the ban hammer has been thrown again. wonder what name he will come back on the Org as this time!

I'm thinking he might be a she but i'm only putting 1 and 1 together before multiplying by 0 so could be wrong! (you guys might know better)
Anyway, just to apologise for my part in this carry on and I'll try not to murder MacKay if I bump into them on the course at the weekend! Or them murder me obviously.
I can see it now on Reporting Scotland, someone found on Wick Golf Course who seems to have choked to death on a copy of "The Scottish Outdoor Access Code 2003"

cat
10-Jan-14, 22:53
Well from my position it was clearly verbal assault / verbal abuse of two innocent female members of the public just because you fancied a bit of chauvinism. more like 2 females either being incredibly dim or 2 females that know full well they aren't supposed to be wandering down the fairway but did it anyway then cry assault when one golfer,on his own, shouts at them to move,as his hand signs to them didn't work! bearing in mind he was in the right and regardless of them thinking he had finished,still doesn't give them the right to be there!!

starfish
10-Jan-14, 23:06
i would have continued playing and if they got hit with the golf ball tough there is no reason to be on the course as if you cross it where does it take you not to the beach/ dunes from the carpark

Liz
11-Jan-14, 13:08
I am really pleased to let everyone know that almo and I have sorted things out amicably :)

We have both agreed that a public forum can be a dangerous place to deal with any situation as there can be too many misunderstandings which aren't helped by those who only post to cause trouble.

Hopefully this very long thread can now be put to rest.

laguna2
11-Jan-14, 13:43
Well done both!

linnie612
11-Jan-14, 14:13
Well done both!What she said! Nice to have a happy ending :)

billmoseley
11-Jan-14, 16:13
THE END? lololol

mi16
11-Jan-14, 16:25
What she said! Nice to have a happy ending :)Cannot beat it

RagnarRocks
11-Jan-14, 17:29
Well I'm amazed.
Apparently now you can get a happy ending on the org miracles will never cease :0))

Mrs Bradey
11-Jan-14, 17:50
Well I'm amazed. Apparently now you can get a happy ending on the org miracles will never cease :0))somebody lock the thread quick before the dark clouds of trolldom decend upon it!!!

Liz
11-Jan-14, 19:34
THE END? lololol

That's all folks! lol

riggerboy
11-Jan-14, 19:44
glad everyone ended up getting along about this thread, sorry if it upset a few, liz and almo, well done for coming to an understanding, time for the thread to end but i dont know how to lock it ,

ducati
11-Jan-14, 19:52
glad everyone ended up getting along about this thread, sorry if it upset a few, liz and almo, well done for coming to an understanding, time for the thread to end but i dont know how to lock it ,

So..can you walk your dog or not? :confused