PDA

View Full Version : Good News, 40% of our Energy came from wind farms etc

Rheghead
20-Dec-13, 20:48
Renewable energy seems to be growing from strength to strength bringing cheap energy and energy security to our country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25451385

Big Gaz
20-Dec-13, 20:58
And when there is no wind or they are switched off due to not being needed, what then? The country won't survive on the 60% that's left

Rheghead
20-Dec-13, 21:22
And when there is no wind or they are switched off due to not being needed, what then? The country won't survive on the 60% that's left

You could glibly say the same about nuke, coal and gas.

2little2late
21-Dec-13, 00:32
Renewable energy seems to be growing from strength to strength bringing cheap energy and energy security to our country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25451385

So where's the cheap energy for the consumer? There is only one winner here and that is the owner of the land where these useless things are installed. ABSOLUTE CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mi16
21-Dec-13, 00:38
So where's the cheap energy for the consumer? There is only one winner here and that is the owner of the land where these useless things are installed. ABSOLUTE CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The energy firms win also

orkneycadian
21-Dec-13, 02:55
So where's the cheap energy for the consumer?

Over here apparently. The stuff is so cheap, we can afford to burn it up in gaudy and tacky outside "displays" of Christmas lighting. And have been doing so since sometime about the end of November.

Its a good job that energy is so cheap, or we wouldn't be able to afford to waste it to the extent that we do.

scoobyc
21-Dec-13, 10:31
You could glibly say the same about nuke, coal and gas.

No you can't, if it is a calm day then those 3 will still continue to produce. I appreciate they can be shut down for maintenance/defects but this is usually planned for, the majority of times, whereas you can not plan for how windy it is next week :O)

RagnarRocks
21-Dec-13, 10:44
over here apparently. The stuff is so cheap, we can afford to burn it up in gaudy and tacky outside "displays" of christmas lighting. And have been doing so since sometime about the end of november.its a good job that energy is so cheap, or we wouldn't be able to afford to waste it to the extent that we do.bah humbug :0))

mi16
21-Dec-13, 10:57
Over here apparently. The stuff is so cheap, we can afford to burn it up in gaudy and tacky outside "displays" of Christmas lighting. And have been doing so since sometime about the end of November.Its a good job that energy is so cheap, or we wouldn't be able to afford to waste it to the extent that we do.If a person can afford to and wishes to spend their hard earned on leccy for Xmas displays then so be it

newweecroft
21-Dec-13, 13:17
2little, you do realize the people who sell their land for nuclear power stations make obscene amounts of money of their land too, or that you also subsidise the construction on nuclear plants.Compared to the profit the energy firms share holders make the percentage of your bill that goes to the chap near by with the turbine is a drop in the ocean. Why hate the little guy so much and not the trust funds and hedge funds flooded with pounds and dollars at your expense?Yes for most landowners it is about increased cash flow but on most traditional farms the farmer will earn below minimum wage or will make his cut from contracting. Farming traditionaly is hard work with people choosing to shop at Tesco what's wrong with diversification, farmers pay the same for their leggy as you do.

Rheghead
21-Dec-13, 14:37
So where's the cheap energy for the consumer? There is only one winner here and that is the owner of the land where these useless things are installed. ABSOLUTE CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onshore wind is one of the cheapest forms of energy available right now, certainly cheaper than nuke and gas and that is with the RO included.

The trends in costs are obvious, fossil fuels are going up, renewables are going down. And the only thing that keeps that trend is take up of more renewables. It is simple economic theory.

More renewables will decouple the trend of rising costs of conventional energy and bills will be cheaper.

mi16
21-Dec-13, 15:13
Onshore wind is one of the cheapest forms of energy available right now, certainly cheaper than nuke and gas and that is with the RO included. The trends in costs are obvious, fossil fuels are going up, renewables are going down. And the only thing that keeps that trend is take up of more renewables. It is simple economic theory.More renewables will decouple the trend of rising costs of conventional energy and bills will be cheaper.Cheaper energy bills, did you have a mad, mad Friday.Energy we have never had so much energy produced from renewables yet we have never paid more for our energy.It is an upward trend that will not regress

Rheghead
21-Dec-13, 15:43
Cheaper energy bills, did you have a mad, mad Friday.Energy we have never had so much energy produced from renewables yet we have never paid more for our energy.It is an upward trend that will not regress

We've never been charged so much for expensive fossil fuels before, go figure...

oldchemist
21-Dec-13, 16:43
Plans for the Moray Firth offshore array seem to be on a shoogly peg as they are not on a list of projects considered affordable by the UK Government. Beginning of the end for wee Eck's "Saudi Arabia of the North"?

Rheghead
21-Dec-13, 20:40
Plans for the Moray Firth offshore array seem to be on a shoogly peg as they are not on a list of projects considered affordable by the UK Government. Beginning of the end for wee Eck's "Saudi Arabia of the North"?

E.ON UK and RWE npower said they won't be developing new nuclear power plants thus placing the future of nuclear power in the United Kingdom in doubt.

scoobyc
21-Dec-13, 22:40
E.ON UK and RWE npower said they won't be developing new nuclear power plants thus placing the future of nuclear power in the United Kingdom in doubt.
Is that quoted from March 2012? I thought they made their plans clear back then and it's hardly "breaking news" compared to oldchemists post which at least refers to something from this week but maybe I've missed something.

RagnarRocks
21-Dec-13, 23:05
We've never been charged so much for expensive fossil fuels before, go figure...Well considering the time frame used for mass electricity production and the availability of various fuels over that time frame. Less than 100 yrs for the majority of folks having electricity in their houses then its a bit of a no brainier to say its never cost so much ! We don't even have a mature energy market as its still developing with new forms of power generation being tried out.

Rheghead
22-Dec-13, 15:12
Is that quoted from March 2012? I thought they made their plans clear back then and it's hardly "breaking news" compared to oldchemists post which at least refers to something from this week but maybe I've missed something.

That is just the status quo.

Rheghead
22-Dec-13, 15:14
Well considering the time frame used for mass electricity production and the availability of various fuels over that time frame. Less than 100 yrs for the majority of folks having electricity in their houses then its a bit of a no brainier to say its never cost so much ! We don't even have a mature energy market as its still developing with new forms of power generation being tried out.

It sounds like you've just got to put one last piece in the jigsaw...

scoobyc
22-Dec-13, 20:18
That is just the status quo.

I think you will find most people would regard it as cherry picking but then you seem to be very good at that, all imho :)

RagnarRocks
22-Dec-13, 22:01
It sounds like you've just got to put one last piece in the jigsaw...Nuclear Fusion :0))

Phill
22-Dec-13, 22:21
As the average gimp in the street, I suuport micro renewables and cheap leccy. I would love to buy into some PV or wee turbine but the cost is astronomical. I constantly strive to reduce my household energy use to save costs, to save for my renewables. But my bills still go up, to pay for renewables I cannot afford to buy. :/But, fortunately, with costs now aligning. Its soon cheaper to run my dirty generator to be self sufficient.

Sgitheanach
22-Dec-13, 22:40
Land owner near watten gets £25000 every ten years for each 90x90 m turbine base , 25 turbines on site

mi16
22-Dec-13, 22:43
Land owner near watten gets £25000 every ten years for each 90x90 m turbine base , 25 turbines on siteNot a great deal, I believe £6-8 k per turbine per year is the norm

ducati
23-Dec-13, 02:39
As the average gimp in the street, I suuport micro renewables and cheap leccy. I would love to buy into some PV or wee turbine but the cost is astronomical. I constantly strive to reduce my household energy use to save costs, to save for my renewables. But my bills still go up, to pay for renewables I cannot afford to buy. :/But, fortunately, with costs now aligning. Its soon cheaper to run my dirty generator to be self sufficient.

If you don't go mad with the spin dryer, about a fiver a week in Diesel.

You don't need to buy a Genny, just plug your 4x4 or van into a bunch of batteries and run on tickover. You can still un-plug it to run down to Tescos.

Here is a gismo for Mi16, a way to get Scottish Water to pay for some of your leccy. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC8-8-15V-Hydroelectric-Save-power-Micro-hydro-Generator-Water-Charger-3-5w-/190880105597?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators _ET&hash=item2c7157447d

newweecroft
23-Dec-13, 19:32
Have you used one of those Ducati? A nice little idea! Pro lem with batteries is replacing them, we bought a set of the new electron carbon fibre agm but they only lasted a year and elecsol have liquidated rather than cover the warranty. So on that note stick to Victron, Mastervolt or Rols Royce.

ducati
23-Dec-13, 20:55
Have you used one of those Ducati? A nice little idea! Pro lem with batteries is replacing them, we bought a set of the new electron carbon fibre agm but they only lasted a year and elecsol have liquidated rather than cover the warranty. So on that note stick to Victron, Mastervolt or Rols Royce.

We will be using fork lift cells that can be re-conditioned. Currently using older type leasure batteries, so far, so good.