PDA

View Full Version : May '07 council elections

whitechina
14-Feb-07, 20:41
Does anyone know,or have heard, if there are going to be any persons standing against our esteemed current crop of councillors here in Thurso in the forthcoming elections?

Rheghead
14-Feb-07, 21:30
I wonder if they will get back in again despite the ASDA fiasco?:confused I am sure that Graeme Smith has rubbed a few up the wrong way for instance?

whitechina
17-Feb-07, 11:20
It seems the public's anger over Asda has abated,and so I wonder are they going to turn out and vote for the very men who let them down.It would be disappointing if this is the case.:confused

spurtle
17-Feb-07, 11:31
I wonder if they will get back in again despite the ASDA fiasco?:confused I am sure that Graeme Smith has rubbed a few up the wrong way for instance?

An awful lot of them are taking the golden handshake and leaving - an any case, there will no longer be a Caithness Committee. Caithness has , as usual, been sold down the river in terms of proper representation - ASDA is small beer as an issue compared with this fiasco

Cattach
17-Feb-07, 14:23
It seems the public's anger over Asda has abated,and so I wonder are they going to turn out and vote for the very men who let them down.It would be disappointing if this is the case.:confused

Anger has NOT abated in Thurso but infortunately getting new people to stand for the council is difficult. It used to be people with local interest not waving apolitical banner now it has become very much tied to national political partires.

Also have to be unemployed or employed at Dounreay to have the time necessary with all the extra meetings, many in Inverness. Expenses are good though and a living can be made and it would certainly be a boost to a pension - might be worth thinking about but age is against me!!

whitechina
20-Feb-07, 20:40
You're right Cattach.In the last few days I've been asking around a few folks about tha Asda issue and they get pretty worked up about it.I also overheard three women talking about in Thurso precinct and they were none too complementary about our councillors.If this is indicative of the mood of the town as a whole then the upcoming election might see the demise of 1 or 2 of them.That is of assuming course someone stands against them!

Oddquine
20-Feb-07, 23:02
Noticed that there are around forty members of the Highland Council taking the money and running now that there is money available!

I can see why for those with twenty plus years in...............but when those with less than ten years in duck out................why bother in the first place?:eek:

webmannie
21-Feb-07, 00:30
Hypothetical question

Do you think somebody with no 'Council' experience, but is passionate about maintaining employment in the county after Dounreay has any chance of being voted in?

Maybe I should start a poll

Oddquine
21-Feb-07, 00:50
Hypothetical question

Do you think somebody with no 'Council' experience, but is passionate about maintaining employment in the county after Dounreay has any chance of being voted in?

I think anyone with some common sense......not into following political party lines without thinking first and foremost about the best outcome for the area they represent......... not in it for the allowance and expenses.........and with definite ideas of what they would like to do for their community, rather than the airy-fairy notion of " helping people" would be better than a lot of councils have now.

And I am not getting at any Highland councillors................I don't know their records.......but I do know about local politics in other areas.

whitechina
27-Feb-07, 20:50
Hypothetical question

If we all needed previous experience to be able to get any job then we'd all be unemployed!! I don't think experience is required,just a determination to do what's right for the town and to listen to people's views and to act upon them (unlike Saxon,Jackson & Mackay).

bigjjuk
28-Feb-07, 09:18
Right lets see.

As you may have seen from the main page Thurso only has 3 candidates in for the elections. I thought everyone was ranting that these guys was not doing the town justice and had there own interests at heart. As i live in Wick im fine with my town, 6 candidates in for the jobs and this can only mean the town will prosper as people will be listening to them to choose via a vote. Thurso candidates will not need to go to a vote and automatically stay in. Is that what you guys really want??????

Pepsix
28-Feb-07, 12:04
Hypothetical question

Webmannia - being passionate about jobs after Dounreay is a key element for any councillor after the election. Progress has started with the Social Economic Forum and the NDA but if that is all you think you have to offer I would say that is an awful lot and go for it! If you are thinking of running as an independent ask any independent councillor for help as I am sure they will oblige. I would hope after the election we continue to have an independent councillors who work for the benefit of the local people and not in line with their party. From experience any new councillor spends the first four years 'learning' what ever past experience they have!

Rheghead
28-Feb-07, 12:13
Webmannia - being passionate about jobs after Dounreay is a key element for any councillor after the election!

Then I think they should be concerned about Vulcan's plans to cut radiation safety expertise by 50% and their plans for the dumbing down of essential chemistry expertise by 50% in the next 3 years in that case, I dare say that wouldn't spark confidence in anti-nuclear groups.

bigjjuk
28-Feb-07, 18:30
the people from thurso obviously are happy with the councillors they have at the moment i guess, no response wot so ever, doesnt help that my post was moved, so less people will see. Rheghead you should have made your title a bit more eye catching.

Royster1911
28-Feb-07, 20:44
Right lets see.

As you may have seen from the main page Thurso only has 3 candidates in for the elections. I thought everyone was ranting that these guys was not doing the town justice and had there own interests at heart. As i live in Wick im fine with my town, 6 candidates in for the jobs and this can only mean the town will prosper as people will be listening to them to choose via a vote. Thurso candidates will not need to go to a vote and automatically stay in. Is that what you guys really want??????

Hmmm, Just a thought, but are YOU one of the Wick 6? If not, then why are you ranting off about Thurso locals not putting in for the job. It`s not everyones cup of tea and not everyone wants to leave a job that they are in at this moment and risk NOT WINNING and even if they did win could be earning less for the next few year and THEN end up out of a job! Which part of that would you want?[lol]

bigjjuk
01-Mar-07, 10:15
No royster i am not a part of the 6. I have no interest in politics in that degree. i just wanted to point out that so many people were quick to jump on these peoples backs about their decision on Ada, but when it comes to voting them out they dont care or dont want to make the effort. I agree that it comes with great responsibility to put yourself forward, I for one have enough with my one job, so you are very right.