PDA

View Full Version : Milton - Alexander/Alchersone

Echidna
13-Feb-07, 12:51
Hello all,

Does anybody know where Milton is? Maybe Millon or Mitton?? I have not seen this name in relation to CAI anywhere else, other than the OPR entry for my 3X Great grandparent's marriage.

On a close reading of a copy of the copperplate writing from the Old Parochial Register in Canisbay my 3x Great grandfather David Alexander b. 1823, was a farmer from Milton when he married on 23/2/1849, Elizabeth Bremner b.1824, dau of Andrew Bremner of Freswick, deceased. The witnesses to the wedding were John Nicolson and David Bremner.

thanks in advance

Echidna

Angela
13-Feb-07, 13:02
Echidna,
I think my PM to you may have crossed with this post!
There is a Milton near Wick, not the one you're looking for, as it's a group of houses built post WW2 - but also a much older Milton which I think is/was west of Keiss.
Someone else will probably have more info about it! :)

iain
13-Feb-07, 15:35
Hi,not the one your looking for but i stay at Milton beside Reay.It was a populated area at the time you are researching.

fred
13-Feb-07, 18:53
Hello all,

Does anybody know where Milton is? Maybe Millon or Mitton?? I have not seen this name in relation to CAI anywhere else, other than the OPR entry for my 3X Great grandparent's marriage.

Hello,

There were a lot of Miltons in Caithness, mills had to be where there was water to power them and the workers houses around the mill got called Mill Town. I don't know where the nearest to Canisbay would have been but there are the remains of a big mill still standing at Huna, that might be the one.

Echidna
15-Feb-07, 03:41
Thanks Fred

Although my Alexanders ended up in Keiss, not yet finding a birth record for my David Alexander in 1823, I could not posit the family anywhere exactly. However, there could be a connexion with Watten or Thurso. The marriage could have taken place in Canisbay because of its proximity to Skirza/Freswick where his Bremner bride's family came from.

I know there was a mill in Watten, maybe there was a Milton there as well?

fred
15-Feb-07, 10:09
I know there was a mill in Watten, maybe there was a Milton there as well?

There still is, just south of the crossroads.

Echidna
16-Feb-07, 01:46
Thanks again Fred

A quick squiz at mutliMap.com 1:25,000 for Watten revealed a Millton south of Watten. Now all I need to locate is the OPR birth record for my 3xg-Grandfather!

Doing genealogy at a distance from another hemishere is certainly a lot easier with Caithness.Org forum and the kind assistance of folk like yourself.

cheers Echidna

fred
16-Feb-07, 18:38
Thanks again Fred

A quick squiz at mutliMap.com 1:25,000 for Watten revealed a Millton south of Watten. Now all I need to locate is the OPR birth record for my 3xg-Grandfather!

I'd look at Miltown of Auckengill, before Watten. On the 1841 census there was a David Alexander of the right age working as an agricultural labourer for a David Nicholson near there. His marriage was recorded in Wick as well as Canisbay so that might be where his parents lived.

Echidna
18-Feb-07, 14:25
I'd look at Miltown of Auckengill, before Watten. On the 1841 census there was a David Alexander of the right age working as an agricultural labourer for a David Nicholson near there. His marriage was recorded in Wick as well as Canisbay so that might be where his parents lived.

This is making more sense as a John Nicholson was one of the witnesses at the Wedding in Canisbay in 1849. The other was a David Bremner, probably brother to the bride (he may have given her away as her father Andrew Bremner was deceased).

Does the Census suggest any names for David Alexander's parents or siblings living in Auckengill at the time of the census?

fred
18-Feb-07, 22:35
This is making more sense as a John Nicholson was one of the witnesses at the Wedding in Canisbay in 1849. The other was a David Bremner, probably brother to the bride (he may have given her away as her father Andrew Bremner was deceased).

Does the Census suggest any names for David Alexander's parents or siblings living in Auckengill at the time of the census?

Here is the household:

Piece: SCT1841/35 Place: Canisbay -Caithness Enumeration District: 8
Civil Parish: Canisbay Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island:
Folio: 0 Page: 9
Address: Strubster

NICOLSON David M 75 Farmer Caithness
NICOLSON Helen F 80 Caithness
ALEXANDER David M 15 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
ALEXANDER John M 14 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
ALEXANDER Alexander M 11 Agricultural Labourer Caithness

The only other Alexander in Auckengill was Helen also living with a Nicolson family:

Folio: 0 Page: 6
Address: Auckingill

NICOLSON Catharine F 30 Farmer Caithness
NICOLSON David M 10 Caithness
NICOLSON Donald M 4 Caithness
NICOLSON Margaret F 2 Caithness
ALEXANDER Helen F 15 Female Servant Caithness

The IGI has a record of an Alexander Alexander born 1st Nov 1828 and a Helen Alexander born 25th Apr 1825 both to Thomas Alexander and Janet Nicholson. They also have a record of the marriage of Thomas and Janet on the 30th Dec 1820.

Echidna
18-Feb-07, 23:33
Thanks Fred

it looks like the relationship between David Alexander and Nicholsons may have been more than just employer - employee.

I had a look on Multimap.com for Strubster, but it was not there. Does Strubster still exist as a locality, or is it perhaps a farm name?

There is no IGI record as far as I can ascertain for David Alexander's birth in 1823, although it may have been under David Alsherson, there is no record of this either.

cheers Echidna

Torvaig
18-Feb-07, 23:37
There is a Stroupster out the Keiss/Auckengill way which would have come under Canisbay.

Torvaig
18-Feb-07, 23:39
;) Try this link! The good old org comes to the rescue once again.....

http://caithness.org/atoz/photogallery/index.php?gallery=94

Oddquine
19-Feb-07, 00:12
The Jannet Nicolson who married the Thomas Alexander was a daughter of the David and Helen Nicolson who had the three Alexander boys working on their place.

Wonder if the Alexander Alexander was their grandson, as Thomas and Jannet were both dead by 1834, and I wonder if the Helen in the second set of census details was the daughter?

I haven't been able to find the David and John anywhere though, but Jannet's MI at Keiss says her headstone was erected by ss rather than s.

fred
19-Feb-07, 00:39
Thanks Fred

it looks like the relationship between David Alexander and Nicholsons may have been more than just employer - employee.

I had a look on Multimap.com for Strubster, but it was not there. Does Strubster still exist as a locality, or is it perhaps a farm name?

There is no IGI record as far as I can ascertain for David Alexander's birth in 1823, although it may have been under David Alsherson, there is no record of this either.

cheers Echidna

Only Alexander and Helen are recorded on the IGI, the IGI is not a complete record, parish registers have been lost.

There are two houses on the census for Strubster, both Nicolsons, then two at Backlass then it's Milltown.

There was a famous artist and antiquarian called John Nicolson in Auckengill, he founded a museum now called the Viking Centre. He wasn't born till 1858 but he could well be a relation.

Mamie_2
23-Feb-07, 19:41
(quote)The other was a David Bremner, probably brother to the bride (he may have given her away as her father Andrew Bremner was deceased). (unquote)

Don't have a brother David for Elizabeth listed just a Donald and Simon, nor did she seem to have an uncle David. Her father Alexander had brothers William and Simon.

Still he might have been a cousin of some sort or just a friend. Haven't worked out all the Bremners yet lol.

Maryann

Mamie_2
23-Feb-07, 20:01
It's amazing what you can find if you "google" it( okay so I used Yahoo search lol).

The page actually is talking about Canisbay church mostly but the following is an added tidbit.

"There is also the possible hermitage at Strubster, on the boundary of Canisbay, Wick and Bower parishes (Anon. nd., 156; see below)."

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/papar/caithness1.html

Maryann

Echidna
26-Feb-07, 14:36
Here is the household:

Folio: 0 Page: 9
Address: Strubster

NICOLSON David M 75 Farmer Caithness
NICOLSON Helen F 80 Caithness
ALEXANDER David M 15 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
ALEXANDER John M 14 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
ALEXANDER Alexander M 11 Agricultural Labourer Caithness

The only other Alexander in Auckengill was Helen also living with a Nicolson family:

Folio: 0 Page: 6
Address: Auckingill

NICOLSON Catharine F 30 Farmer Caithness
NICOLSON David M 10 Caithness
NICOLSON Donald M 4 Caithness
NICOLSON Margaret F 2 Caithness
ALEXANDER Helen F 15 Female Servant Caithness

The IGI has a record of an Alexander Alexander born 1st Nov 1828 and a Helen Alexander born 25th Apr 1825 both to Thomas Alexander and Janet Nicholson. They also have a record of the marriage of Thomas and Janet on the 30th Dec 1820.

The IGI has an Alexander born to Thomas and Janet in 1820, he must have died for them to have another son born by that name. It may suggest that Thomas' father was an Alexander Alexander, thereby David being the second son having his mother's father's name. However, there was a Thomas Alexander born in Kirkwall in 1793 who may fit the bill for Thomas' father!

Also if David and Helen are both Thomas and Janet's children, being both aged 15 in 1841 would make them twins. However, this is thrown into some doubt/confusion by the age given on David's gravestone in Keiss, making him only 56 at death! Again traditional naming practices suggest that the twin theory is correct with Janet's mother possibly being a Helen Barnie (see below). Looks like it time to buy some certificates...unavoidable perhaps!

There is a marriage recorded for 23/7/1790 for a David Nicolson (b. Bower 25/2/1766) and Helen Barnie (b. 17/5/1764), with all of their ten children being born at Slickly, across the burn from Strubster/Stroupster. Janet Nicolson being born at Slickly on 1/8/1795.

fred
26-Feb-07, 18:46
Also if David and Helen are both Thomas and Janet's children, being both aged 15 in 1841 would make them twins.

No. In the 1841 census the ages of people over 15 were rounded either up or down to the nearest 5 years. I think officially they were supposed to be rounded down and most seem to be but different enumerators seem to have interpreted the rules differently. They could have been anything between 15 and 20.

Echidna
17-Apr-07, 08:30
[/quote] Thomas Alexander and Janet Nicholson. They also have a record of the marriage of Thomas and Janet on the 30th Dec 1820.[/quote]

The marriage of Thomas Alexander and Janet Nicolson is listed in two parishes. In Canisbay parish it is listed as above, in Wick parish it is listed as Thomas Alsherson and Janet Nicolson. That my 3x great grandfather David (1823-1881) was their son is confirmed by David's death certificate.

Again the Alsherson/Alexander conumdrum. It appears that Thomas Alsherson was a fisherman from Keiss and used his old surname in that parish (of Wick), and used his new surname in the Canisbay parish.

Between 1790 and 1830 all the Caithness Alshersons had changed their names' to Alexander, this is surmised by checking the IGI. It makes for hard going to map through all the families, my current task, and will keep me busy for a while.

Currently I am working off the premiss that Thomas was the son of Alexander Alsherson and Elizabeth Mann, born in 1783 in Wick Parish. I believe this is more likely than my earlier thought about him being the Thomas Alexander born in Kirkwall Orkney in 1793. The reasoning is that Thomas was the second son of Alexander and Elizabeth Mann, and Elizabeth's father's name was Thomas Mann, married to Ann Leith. Under the old naming traditions this reasoning stands up. Thus Thomas would have been 37 when married and 46 when he died.

I am open to being corrected on this if anyone has more sound evidence.

Echidna :)

Tricia
16-Apr-09, 19:25
QUOTE:Currently I am working off the premiss that Thomas was the son of Alexander Alsherson and Elizabeth Mann, born in 1783 in Wick Parish. I believe this is more likely than my earlier thought about him being the Thomas Alexander born in Kirkwall Orkney in 1793. The reasoning is that Thomas was the second son of Alexander and Elizabeth Mann, and Elizabeth's father's name was Thomas Mann, married to Ann Leith. Under the old naming traditions this reasoning stands up. Thus Thomas would have been 37 when married and 46 when he died."

I know this was posted ages ago but perhap you have discovered more since then.

Could this be your family ? you have similar names ie MANN and LEITH but different first names and ages different - perhaps they still link.

MI in KEISS Cem

ENTRY "Alex Alexander fr Keiss 27.2.1885 66, w Isa Alexander 8.2.1919 89,
fa Don 10.12.1856 79, mo Margt Mann 24.11.1865 79,
gfa Wm Mann Weaver Keiss 1831 97, gmo Janet McBeath 1831 87."

PS think Isa Alexander was MS CORMACK married 1829 Wick.

The father of Wm Mann 1738- 1831 above I have as Thomas Mann who married Elspeth Leith in 1727 Wick.
Families from Keiss.

Donald Alsherson and Margaret Mann married 23 Dec 1814 Wick.
Note :son above Alex Alexander(Alsherson) b1818 -d 1885
also had known siblings Janet 1816 William 1820 Elisabeth 1823 Donald 1825 Thomas b1828 George 1830. -

Got to send now.

Tricia