PDA

View Full Version : Extra Schooling?

rockchick
11-Feb-07, 00:53
My daughter will be switching to the English school system in July. She finishes P7 in Scotland on June 30th, starting High School next year...but we are moving to England in early July.

The English school system does not end until end of July and they have a four week break during August.

What do you think.

Should I allow my daughter an eight week school holiday? Or should I enroll her in English classes during 4 weeks in July, so she can meet and make friends with school companions that she will have during holidays and when she switches to High School in September. Keep in mind that she has no academic worries...she is high up in her class...class president...so no worries in achievement sectors.

Torvaig
11-Feb-07, 01:25
If she has no academic worries and I'm sure she is more than capable of making friends why not let her have her holidays? A refreshed body and mind will go a long way to her being happy and relaxed when she goes to High School.

Ricco
11-Feb-07, 10:08
I would suggest that she goes to school for the last few weeks. It will help her acclimatise, make friends. Also, a long holiday may give the chance to unwind too far and she may have trouble getting back up to speed in Sept.

The last few weeks in the summer term are also rather quiet and there are often trips out of school which gives her a great chance to make friends.

rainbow
11-Feb-07, 10:43
You should be lucky having an 8 week holiday - when I moved north in August (many moons ago)from England I only had about a 2 week holiday. School fininshed in July in the English system, and the Scottish schools returned mid-August. I do not think it has damaged me psychologically, but I always felt I was cheated!

changilass
11-Feb-07, 15:31
As you are unsure yourself as to how to progress, how about giving your daughter the pros and cons and allow her to make the decision. It will give her a sense of responsibility and also allow her to understand the consequenses of her actions, so she will have learnt a very valuable lesson and she can't then trow it back in your face if she chooses the wrong option:lol:

j4bberw0ck
11-Feb-07, 15:53
Our experience coming the other way was that there are big differences in the English and Scottish curricula. My stepson was put in P6 based on his age but within a couple of days the school asked if he could go into P7 as his English curriculum had moved him ahead of his Scottish age group. We agreed - big mistake, but that's another story.

FWIW I would urge that your daughter do the final 4 weeks in England just to get a handle on where things are up to academically - and also to make friends for the holidays.

rockchick
11-Feb-07, 16:41
Thanks everyone for your comments. I would certainly discuss it with my daughter first, but wanted to think it through beforehand.

Changilass...what child is going to turn down 8 weeks of summer holidays if given the option..She will certainly be involved in the decision making process, but her parents will be the ones to make the final call. After all, she is only 11.

nicnak
11-Feb-07, 20:12
Hi there I urge you to think about the stress that moving will cause your daughter and would say let her have the eime off to adjust , get used to her new area and make new friends without the added problems of starting a new school. My parent moved several times through my school life to different areas and always gave us time to adjust and it always made a heck of a difference to us. On the other hand the first time we moved we made our children go straight to school and we found this was a huge mistake and we dont have overly sensitive children, our children were so stressed and it took them weeks to adjust, after that we always gave them time off and it has paid dividends.

jinglejangle
11-Feb-07, 21:01
Thanks everyone for your comments. I would certainly discuss it with my daughter first, but wanted to think it through beforehand.

Changilass...what child is going to turn down 8 weeks of summer holidays if given the option..She will certainly be involved in the decision making process, but her parents will be the ones to make the final call. After all, she is only 11.

think you are being a bit hard on changilass - after all you did ask for people's opinions. i would be more agreeable to asking my 11 year old what they wanted rather than a bunch of strangers!

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-07, 21:16
What do you think.
Should I allow my daughter an eight week school holiday? Or should I enroll her in English classes during 4 weeks in July, so she can meet and make friends with school companions that she will have during holidays and when she switches to High School in September.

A nice long chat with your daughter explaining the pros and cons and I am sure between the two of you you will come to the right decision. From your description of your daughter it sounds as though she has her head fairly well screwed on and will not take advantage of the fact that she is being involved in the decision making process. Hope the transition goes smoothly for her as this can be a huge step for any child.:)

sassylass
12-Feb-07, 04:08
We were in a similar situation when my daughter was the same age. If I had it to do again, I'd put my daughter in the new school right away to give her time to make some friends before being launched into high school.

cuddlepop
12-Feb-07, 09:28
We moved late June in the holiday before I started first year and it was tough going to the high schol after the holidays.The friends I did make during the holidays were in the year adove me so could only see them at break.
Everyone was new so to be in first year so did make it a little easier .If given the chance again,i'd have rather of started p7 then I would have got to know some people my own age.
Good luck.:D

porshiepoo
12-Feb-07, 11:11
We did the same thing the year before last (although hated the hustle and bustle and hot footed it back lol) and i have to say we thought it a good idea to enrol them the last 3 weeks before they broke up for the summer hols.
It just helps them to get into the new routine etc and make friends, it's probably harder for them to spend 8 weeks worrying about it.

Good Luck with the move though. Robin Hood Country? Take it you're in my home town of Notts then!

Angela
12-Feb-07, 11:40
[quote=porshiepoo;190260]It just helps them to get into the new routine etc and make friends, it's probably harder for them to spend 8 weeks worrying about it.
quote]

When you have a chat with your daughter about it you may well find she agrees with what porshiepoo's saying here.

I know the thought of 8 weeks holiday might sound great, but at 11 your daughter will have concerns about the move and will almost certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss them with you.

She's likely to realise that as the new school term got closer she would be worrying about it, and that it might be better to get settled in and then have a shorter but happier holiday. :D

I'm yet another one who had a very traumatic school move -starting p6 - my views weren't taken into account at all and I'd nobody to talk to about it. Although in the long run the new school was nicer, it took me ages to settle in.

I'm sure you'll be able to give your daughter lots of support and reassurance and the chance to discuss any anxieties with you.

Fluff
12-Feb-07, 23:46
if you enrol her for the final 4 weeks, she may make freidns who can show her around the area in the holidays.
otherwise she will most likely get bored after the first week or 2 and may not want to explore herself.