PDA

View Full Version : Re> Bain

efoulis
10-Feb-07, 21:25
On the 1841,51,61. census I find Joseph Bain and his family at Strirkoke 83 his occupation as meal miller/miller. He died in 1877 in Pulteneytown so its strange that i cant find either Joseph or his wife Helen on the 1871 census. I dont know the area , so can someone tell me what or where Strirkoke is and is it far from Pulteneytown.

rangers1873
10-Feb-07, 22:43
in is beside haster,its about three miles from pultneytown

helenbmerry
11-Feb-07, 09:01
Stirkoke is a farm, and it's still there.

trinkie
11-Feb-07, 11:52
Hallo efoulis,

Have you tried all the Census Districts in Caithness for your 1871 search?
If you are using Scotlandspeople just click ''all districts'' that should bring something.

It is possible that they were 'away from home' on the night of the Census.
Or perhaps by this time, the family had left Stirkoke and gone to live elswhere - he died in P.town Wick, so it's likely they went in that direction.
They could now be living with a son or daughter if they had retired from farming/milling.
You would need to know a daughter's married surname for a cnesus search.

Out of interest - do you know who has the Stirkoke farm in 1871 - a son perhaps ?

Good luck
T.

caroline
11-Feb-07, 14:24
Stirkoke belongs to the Sinclair family as far as I know. My 3x g grandfather was the Land Steward at Stirkoke. Details for Stirkoke are on this web site.

Angela
11-Feb-07, 15:40
Stirkoke belongs to the Sinclair family as far as I know. My 3x g grandfather was the Land Steward at Stirkoke. Details for Stirkoke are on this web site.

Hi Caroline
Many thanks for the info!
I don't think I have any Stirkoke connections but have now located quite a few other farms my relations worked at...Philip's Mains, Greenland, Skinnet, Spittal etc on Who Owns Scotland via this site.:)
It's quite illuminating finding out who owns what as well...
Angela

marionq
12-Feb-07, 15:34
Angela, I have some ancestors who were born at Greenland, Dunnet. Was this one of the farms you have some knowledge of and if so can you tell me something about it, please?

The ancestors in question were Donald Wilson b 1761 and Jean Gunn b1765.

Thanks, Marion

Angela
12-Feb-07, 16:30
Angela, I have some ancestors who were born at Greenland, Dunnet. Was this one of the farms you have some knowledge of and if so can you tell me something about it, please?

The ancestors in question were Donald Wilson b 1761 and Jean Gunn b1765.

Thanks, Marion
Will PM you....when I've checked things out a bit...
Angela

DlanoD
14-Jul-07, 01:17
Hallo efoulis,

Have you tried all the Census Districts in Caithness for your 1871 search?
If you are using Scotlandspeople just click ''all districts'' that should bring something.

It is possible that they were 'away from home' on the night of the Census.
Or perhaps by this time, the family had left Stirkoke and gone to live elswhere - he died in P.town Wick, so it's likely they went in that direction.
They could now be living with a son or daughter if they had retired from farming/milling.
You would need to know a daughter's married surname for a cnesus search.

Out of interest - do you know who has the Stirkoke farm in 1871 - a son perhaps ?

Good luck
T.

Just had a peek at your query...
There were a lot of Bains moved over the Sarclet and Thrumster, its certainly an option as this is just a short distance from Stirkoke.
If you are really stuck come back and I have no problem with going into local archives for you if you think it will help.
Donald

Tricia
15-Jul-07, 10:34
Is this them in 1871
Name: Joseph Bain
Estimated birth year: abt 1804
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Hellen
Where born: Wick, Caithness
Registration Number: 43/1
Registration district: Wick Landward
Civil parish: Wick
County: Caithness
Address: West Banks
ED: 6
Page: 27 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 141
Line: 20
Roll: CSSCT1871_8
Household Members: Name Age
Cartherin Bain 33
Christina Bain 31
David Bain 21
Hellen Bain 58
James Bain 22
Joseph Bain 67
Margaret Bain 2 Mo
Mary Bain 32

Tricia
PS is this same family
daughter Helen m Charles Swanson 1870.

DlanoD
15-Jul-07, 13:37
Hi there, a lot of those names seem to have popped up before but will need to dig out old research to double check. I know one family were are Sarclet Thrumster (other Bains are the Calder branch but probably related). I will look this up though but it will take a little time as this side came up as part of searches relating to other family but were relations by marriage. Will suss it out though and come back.

efoulis
29-Jul-07, 16:45
Thanks to all that answered, havent been able to reply before now as i had problems with my computer but up and running again and still searching for my Bain connections. I will now look at some of the suggestions that have been given .

Tricia
03-Aug-07, 13:39
Hi "efoulis"
Glad they were correct Bain family in 1871.

Daughter Helen(aka Ellen) m Charles Swanson 1870.

I have more info if this is your line.
their daughter Isabella Swanson b c 1874-1916 married 1901 Malcolm Groat MORE 1874-1928.

MORE family in Wick being my paternal family.
Tricia