PDA

View Full Version : Tesco coming to Thurso?

rs 2k
03-Feb-07, 11:37
I was told last night that Tesco has bought or is buying the old mart site, this person has seen all the building plans, could this be true??? :confused

teddybear1873
03-Feb-07, 13:06
Half the lies thats told in Caithness isn't true, the other half is just made up.

weeboyagee
03-Feb-07, 13:26
Who cares? The talk (gossip) about Tesco and Asda on this forum does ma nut in! :roll:

WBG :cool:

golach
03-Feb-07, 13:32
Who cares? The talk (gossip) about Tesco and Asda on this forum does ma nut in! :roll:

WBG
I heard in the pub last night from a man who's wife is very friendly with the mother in law of one of the posties who delivers mail in Princes St, that Jenners are moving up to Thurso:roll:

j4bberw0ck
03-Feb-07, 13:43
Must be that global warming again. Edinburgh getting too hot, an' all. Got your vineyard planted yet, golach? The south facing slope of the Forth graben might do very well :lol::lol: .

Don Quixote
03-Feb-07, 13:47
It is possible Tesco are just buying the site to stop it being developed by another supermarket.

They probably haveno intention of opening a store in Thurso as this will take shoppers away from their Wick shop.

rs 2k
03-Feb-07, 13:51
Who cares? The talk (gossip) about Tesco and Asda on this forum does ma nut in!

WBG :cool:

It can't do your nut in that much or u wouldn't be reading it :lol:

Angela
03-Feb-07, 14:17
I heard in the pub last night from a man who's wife is very friendly with the mother in law of one of the posties who delivers mail in Princes St, that Jenners are moving up to Thurso

What took them so long? :roll:
You'd think they'd have seen that opening long ago! :lol:

rfr10
03-Feb-07, 17:49
I very much doubt that Tesco will be building a store in Thurso aswell as Wick. In fact, I can almost guarantee they won't unless it's just going to be a small store. Can you imagine how mad it would be to have a Tesco in Wick AND Thurso aswell as an Asda. Are all the shops going crazy up here!?

Naefearjustbeer
03-Feb-07, 19:34
maybe they are buying the site too stop asda getting it if the other site does not get permission

Highland Laddie
03-Feb-07, 19:47
I very much doubt that Tesco will be building a store in Thurso aswell as Wick. In fact, I can almost guarantee they won't unless it's just going to be a small store. Can you imagine how mad it would be to have a Tesco in Wick AND Thurso aswell as an Asda. Are all the shops going crazy up here!?

Didn't realise you had insider information that Asda WERE coming to thurso.
Maybe Tesco know something you don't.

bky
03-Feb-07, 20:18
apparently the residents of Ormlie Rd have recieved a letter from the council informing them there is an application for a retail store - petrol pumps - car parking area and for some houses to be built on the mart site - Asda covering an other site ? perhaps - cant see it happening as its to close too the schools - wait and see

Fluff
03-Feb-07, 20:47
Tesco are well known for buying up land and building as many stores as they can. Some within a few miles of each other.

It wouldnt surprise me if they asked, but whether they are allowed is another matter...

Glenys Hirst
04-Feb-07, 18:40
They could be building a Tescos Direct store..We have one near us..saves me going into town or to Morrisons..It has limited choice of things that you would get in a large store...allthe same its handy.

ett23
05-Feb-07, 18:09
Can you imagine how mad it would be to have a Tesco in Wick AND Thurso aswell as an Asda. Are all the shops going crazy up here!?
That's exactly the way I feel about all the supermarkets putting in planning permssion to come to Tain. Lid'l has been approved but Asda and Tesco also want to build stores here too! Talk about overkill. Nothing wrong with having a choice but that's just mad!!!:roll:

young
06-Feb-07, 13:09

Why is it crazy for tesco to build in wick and thurso? Is this not what the co-op done and sommerfield and lidl?? I dont think it would be Mad as you say as do a large majority of people from Thurso not go through to Wick Tesco for there shopping If there were one in Thurso they wouldnt need to?:confused

Blazing Sporrans
06-Feb-07, 14:41
apparently the residents of Ormlie Rd have recieved a letter from the council informing them there is an application for a retail store - petrol pumps - car parking area and for some houses to be built on the mart site - Asda covering an other site ? perhaps - cant see it happening as its to close too the schools - wait and see
It may be close to the schools and the railway station but you can bet that as a condition of developing the site, the road network will have to be developed by the applicant (be it Asda or Tesco) to properly service the area. It might be that they have to shell out for extra pedestrian crossings or even an underpass/overpass if safe pedestrian movement requires this.