PDA

View Full Version : Tomato leaves

Hoida
18-Jul-13, 10:30
The leaves on my tomato plants are curling can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong! They are in greenhouse in gro bags and watering daily.

davem
18-Jul-13, 11:38
Any aphids?

Scunner
18-Jul-13, 13:15
Temperature fluctuations - maybe overfeeding

Hoida
18-Jul-13, 20:37
Temperature fluctuations - maybe overfeeding.

Temperature fluctuation could be a possibility, watering every second day and feeding once a week.:D

Hoida
18-Jul-13, 20:39
Any aphids?

No aphids that I have noticed, just leaves curling about 3/4 of plant length Top part OK;)

billmoseley
23-Jul-13, 09:19
mine are doing the same but the fruits are setting and growing fine. In fact looks like it could be a bumper crop

essex boy
23-Jul-13, 20:55
I was told that as long as there are no pests that curled leaves are a sign of health on toms

Alan brad
03-Sep-13, 05:59
I associate tomato leaf curl with something deficient in the method of watering, but am not beneficial about this.

little red one
10-Nov-13, 18:10
Leaf curl from the bottom up especially with yellowing and dark spots and no pests is over watering iirc. t
Top leaf curl is healthy and fine, again with no pests or disease. sproradic watering ie feast and famine with cause fruits to split.

gardeninginagale
09-Dec-13, 20:49
I pretty much agree with little red one, and I don't know why I'm responding to a tomato question in December. Too little, too late. Leaf curl is nothing to worry about in itself. Dark spots are another issue. Tomatoes, being of the same family, are susceptible to potato blight. Dark blotches on the leaves are the first sign of this. There is nothing you can do. Rip the plant out before it spreads.

But if the leaves are healthy, and curling a bit, are there some bluish tinges on the margins? If so, they are cold. Simple as that, and not much you can do about it.

But often, curling leaves suggest whitefly, which is the bane of indoor tomatoes, whether in a polytunnel, greenhouse or conservatory.

Don't be put off and try again next year. Green tomato chutney, I am told, is quite nice. And aphids add protein, albeit in very small quantities.