PDA

View Full Version : Car Boot Sales

rainbow
04-Mar-05, 23:30
Does anyone know when the next car boot sale is in the East of Caithness?

staxigoe hall
06-Mar-05, 12:58
There is a car boot sale being held in Staxigoe Hall on Sunday 3rd April starting at 12;30 the tables cost £5 each, to book a table my number is 07795435357.

Highland Laddie
06-Mar-05, 17:29
There is a car boot sale being held in Staxigoe Hall on Sunday 3rd April starting at 12;30 the tables cost £5 each, to book a table my number is 07795435357.

Must have widened the hall doors since the last time i was there,
that you can actually get cars in the hall now.

badger
08-Mar-05, 19:00
At last - someone else has noticed that table top sales up here are called car boot sales. Why? What's wrong with calling them what they are (seeTrades Descriptions Act)? A car boot sale happens in a field with people selling - surprise! - out of their car boots and maybe a table as well but definitely outdoors. Selling from tables in a hall is a table top sale. I'd never come across this before I moved to Caithness - how did it start? The other type you can have indoors is a Jumble Sale but they don't seem to happen up here - wonder why? Can anyone explain all this to a mystified foreigner?

fred
08-Mar-05, 19:15
At last - someone else has noticed that table top sales up here are called car boot sales. Why? What's wrong with calling them what they are (seeTrades Descriptions Act)? A car boot sale happens in a field with people selling - surprise! - out of their car boots and maybe a table as well but definitely outdoors. Selling from tables in a hall is a table top sale. I'd never come across this before I moved to Caithness - how did it start? The other type you can have indoors is a Jumble Sale but they don't seem to happen up here - wonder why? Can anyone explain all this to a mystified foreigner?

Jumble Sales are called Thrift Shops and there are plenty of them but seem to be
seasonal.

katarina
09-Mar-05, 21:42
The other type you can have indoors is a Jumble Sale but they don't seem to happen up here - wonder why? Can anyone explain all this to a mystified foreigner?[/quote]

We used to call them jumble sales, but now we call them thrift shops - just another sign of the times when things sound posher with a different name. Like calling housewives homemakers, etc. How many more can you come up with?