PDA

View Full Version : wick town

johno
28-Jan-07, 11:19
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_165_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk696LDGB) any one else offended by the description of our wee town, i recieved this last night from a pal in england who stumbled upon it. i think they surely must
have gotten wick mixed up with thier own town.
http://idler.co.uk/crap/?page_id=188
i hope this is not the general opinion visitors to the town take.
any way just click on the link and scroll to wick, i notice that thurso was not listed

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNxmk696LDGB (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZNxmk696LDGB&utm_id=7926)

spurtle
28-Jan-07, 11:34
Actually, if you look at this site, you will see that Wick probably got a better crit than most!
Sadly, Wick does not always help itself. Litter is a major problem, and one I hear almost every visitor comment on.
The front of Wick High School (where something could presumably be done to inst6il some sense of pride), often looks like the local rubbish tip, particularly at lunch-time. You can follow the progress of the pupils down the streets to the centre by the bags, bottles, plastic, crisp packets etc..

Also, what are CASE palying at, sopending oodles of money on out-of-town business premises beefore they even have customers for them, when most of Wick High St/Bridge St is going to be vacated over the next few years as the out of town shoppers render the existing businesses defunct. Surely there is much more of a case for redeveloping the centre. If not, there will be more and more feedback of this sort.

Angela
28-Jan-07, 11:37
I've heard about this on the radio.

It seems a very harsh judgement of poor old Wick! :(

If you look at what's said about some of the other towns listed though (I've visited a fair few of them) it's often just as unfair and one-sided.

It's only the opinion of one person, presumably written for shock-value, and surely not be taken seriously -although it is quite offensive when it's your home that's being denigrated like that. [evil]

ett23
28-Jan-07, 11:38
Don't be too upset - I noticed my hometown Airdrie is listed too and there were some pretty shocking things said about it. Sadly most of them were true!! I think this website is set up just to annoy people who live in these places and actually like it there. There's always gonna be someone with too much time on their hands willing to set up stupid websites like these! :roll:

katarina
28-Jan-07, 11:43
are there any websites that actually say good things about places?

SNOWDOG
28-Jan-07, 11:43
Try to remain calm! Even IF this person was in Wick (which i can assure you is highly unlikely) all he has done is given a much glorified account of what can be seen in any town/city in Britain. Wick does have youths hanging around, the occasional inebriate and a shopping trolly in the river, but obviously nothing to the extent that this 'writer' claims! Funny how the only other comparison he can make is about a former local industry that is well known throughout the country! This article is simply a rubbish filler for a rubbish book written by someone who probably thinks the 'far north' is Manchester!! :D

Angela
28-Jan-07, 11:50
There's always gonna be someone with too much time on their hands willing to set up stupid websites like these! :roll:

It started with a book that came out in 2003, followed by Vol. 2 in 2004.
Or maybe the website existed first and that gave them the idea for the book...
Anyway I'm sure it was just one of these "smart" ideas that maybe seems funny if you don't come from any of the places mentioned.:eek:

golach
28-Jan-07, 11:59
I had a wee look at this web site, and for those living in Wick, the report on Wick is mild compared to others, have a look at Dingwall :~(

fred
28-Jan-07, 12:09
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_165_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk696LDGB) any one else offended by the description of our wee town, i recieved this last night from a pal in england who stumbled upon it. i think they surely must
have gotten wick mixed up with thier own town.
http://idler.co.uk/crap/?page_id=188
i hope this is not the general opinion visitors to the town take.
any way just click on the link and scroll to wick, i notice that thurso was not listed

I thought the site was hilarious, there are a few towns on the list I know well and sprayed my screen with coffee at one or two of them.

They are caricatures, just like the cartoons you see in the papers. An artist forgets to paint a wart while the cartoonist makes it the size of a golf ball, takes all of a persons worst features and exagerates them out of proportion, they are just doing the same thing with towns.

candyfloss
28-Jan-07, 13:55
Aww........ i don't think it's that bad :mad:

and i don't think i've got snot hanging from my nose [lol]

Metalattakk
28-Jan-07, 14:01
and i don't think i've got snot hanging from my nose [lol]

Not whilst you're wearing sleeves, anyway.... :D

Kaishowing
28-Jan-07, 15:23
I've got family who live south who visit Wick several times a year, and they love it......But the one thing they do say is that it's a crime so many old building are left to rot, and all the emtpy shops in the town make the place look shabby.
You can't argue with that. There's some prime property just left to ruin. Wick could be a lovely town to look at but for these eyesores.

DarkAngel
28-Jan-07, 15:58
I agree there are alot of Eyesores in wick but other than that it aint such a bad place really! Id rather be living up here than down in some big city with lots more crime and Murders!!

Jeemag_USA
28-Jan-07, 16:43
Well Thurso is not listed because it is a list of crap towns only.

Anyway, I have seen this site before, its tongue in cheek and I had to admit it had me laughin [lol]

There used to be another site, can't mind what it was called it was like anywhere.org or nowhere.org or something and had a pretty lousy description of Thurso. I don't think people use these sites before booking their holidays.

PS Someone shoudl get down to the river and haul those shopping trolleys oot, its a disgrace! :)

hotrod4
28-Jan-07, 19:54
I hate to admit it but reading it, it does sound a Little like Wick if we all admit it.But hey who cares what some jumped up "author" thinks its wer crap toon and we like it the way it is We dont invite people to come.
I did an interview for the Scotsman a few years back and the journo who interviewed me was taken aback by how friendly we all are. He stated that it may look run down and dirty at times but its the inner warmth and welcoming of the people he met that will always stay with him.

peedie wifie
28-Jan-07, 20:17
Yes Wick is a bit shabby round the edges but its the people and the welcome they give that's at the heart of a town. My relatives visit Wick every year and their teenage kids would love to stay in Wick pemanently.

A few more flower baskets/ boxes etc would make the world of difference. Take a stroll down the main street in Alness in the summer and its awash with colour all thanks to some beautiful flower displays - you don't see the rough edges if there's something to distract the eye!!:D

weeboyagee
28-Jan-07, 20:23
Description is a bit incorrect - Caithness Glass did not get most of their raw material from the Accident and Emergency Department of the local hospital.

Apart from that,........

Good grief - it's a laugh,.........they obviously didn't audit the WHOLE town - just parts of it ;)

WBG :cool:

weeboyagee
28-Jan-07, 20:25
A few more flower baskets/ boxes etc would make the world of difference.....
Erm,....plastering over the cracks methinks ;)

garycs
28-Jan-07, 20:32
Every town I've lived in is listed on that site :( It's obviously just a bunch of bored folk trying to see the worst in everything, and ignoring the positives; although in the case of Leigh those may be few and far between!

peedie wifie
28-Jan-07, 20:36
Erm,....plastering over the cracks methinks ;)

We ladies do it everyday with our own polyfilla (aka foundation) - works a treat! Doesn't it boys?

Glenys Hirst
02-Feb-07, 11:53
Gosh...West Yorkshire got a bashing....there's nowt wrong with Leeds,Wakefield,Bradford and Halifax!! Thankgoodness Huddersfield was not pulled to bits!
I enjoyed living in Wick for 14 years....before I went down to Yorkshire to work.I did all my schooling there..I visit a good friend of mine through in Wick each year when we come up to Caithness and I must admit the town is very quiet...more so now cos of the new retail park and recently Tescos..But the people are friendly as always.My mum,dad and sisters live in Thurso now but I never miss visiting Wick..Weatherspoons do great meals!!!!

marylund2323
04-Feb-07, 01:05
ok i thort wick was fairly nice when i got here which is a plus...but this is wat they said about where i came from:

City of random shouting and violence. The epitome of which is probably the local football team, made up of racist thugs.
Go to any city at 2am and you’ll see drunk people stumbling about, shouting, perhaps engaging in mindless violence. Go to Leeds and you’ll see all this and more, 24 hours a day.
Add to this the crap transport infrastructure - trains are often late and cancelled because of the track in disrepair/half-finished station (which has been under re-development for aeons). Wait for hours at a bus stop and you might be lucky enough for a nearly empty bus to pull-up, let people off and refuse to let anyone else get on.
Yes, Leeds, “the London of the North” - if you’re going on the number of homeless people wandering its streets, perhaps.

and thats the nice parts....i was not from one of the nice parts. lol