PDA

View Full Version : MacKay and Sinclair ancestors

cliffhbuber
26-Jan-07, 15:14
A fine wintry -28C morning from Canada!
Looking for anyone with connections to MacKay and Sinclair ancestors before 1800....and as a last 'resort', anyone possibly linked to Lulach the Simple of ancient days.
best regards, Cliff Huber chuber@tbaytel.net

Angela
26-Jan-07, 15:25
I have Mackays and Sinclairs... :) do you have more details?

trinkie
26-Jan-07, 20:20
That just about includes every person in Caithness !!
Narrow your search down a bit please, and give us some first names, dates and places.

Good Luck,
Trinkie

Tricia
26-Jan-07, 22:05
Lulach the Simple
Birth: 1029
Death: Mar. 17, 1058

Scottish monarch. Stepson of MacBeth, son of Gruoch, Lady MacBeth and her first husband Gillacornagnan, Earl of Moray. MacBeth's followers placed him on the throne despite strong opposition from Malcolm Ceann-Mor's faction. He was crowned in August of 1057 at Scone Abbey. He was a weak man and a weak king, and reigned for only 7 months before he was assassinated by Malcolm. He was the last of the Alpin kings

cliffhbuber
26-Jan-07, 22:13
A fine day and evening to all!

To help out with family links here is some pedigree info: (for extended and expansive pedigree, please contact me at: chuber@tbaytel.net

Ancestors of Rev. Thomas MACKAY - 26 Jan 2007 (my 5th g gf)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST GENERATION

1. Rev. Thomas MACKAY was born on 2 Aug 1717 in Lairg Sutherland Scotland. He died in 1803 in Lairg Sutherland Scotland.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Rev. John MACKAY was born in 1680 in Borley Parish of Farr. He died on 23 Feb 1753 in Lairg Sutherland Scotland. He was married to Catherine MACKAY 29 Aug 1709 by contract.

3. Catherine MACKAY was born in 1688 in Kirtomy Sutherland Scotland. She died in 1724 in Lairg Sutherland Scotland.

THIRD GENERATION

4. Captain William MACKAY was born in 1629 in Borley Farr Parish Scotland. He died in 1703. He was married to Elizabeth CORBET in Scoury Caithness.

5. Elizabeth CORBET was born in Arboll Ross Scotland.

6. John 2nd of Strathy MACKAY died in Dec 1732 in Badlinloch Sutherland Scotland. He was born in Kirtomy Sutherland. He was married to Elizabeth SINCLAIR on 20 Dec 1692 in Scotland.

7. Elizabeth SINCLAIR was born about 1662 in Lybster, Caithness.

FOURTH GENERATION

8. Donald MACKAY was born about 1580 in Borley Farr Parish Scotland. He died > 1649.

9. Christiana MUNRO was born about 1580 in Meikle Creich Sutherland. She died in Scotland.

10. Alexander CORBET was born in 1584 in Arboll Ross Scotland.

12. James of Kirtomy MACKAY was born about 1640 in Dilred Caithness Scotland. He died in 1692 in Kirtomy Sutherland Scotland.

13. Jane FRASER was born in Brae Sutherland.

14. John of Brims & Ulbster SINCLAIR was born Brim. He died in Ulbster.

15. 1st w Jean MUNRO was born in Newmore Scotland.

fred
26-Jan-07, 22:41
[QUOTE=cliffhbuber;185441
7. Elizabeth SINCLAIR was born about 1662 in Lybster, Caithness.
[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth's pedigree is in Henderson's Caithness Family History.

It's on my website http://www.graven-images.org.uk
click on "Library" then "The Sinclairs of Lybster".

trinkie
27-Jan-07, 10:00
Good Morning,

Well, you have certainly given us something to think about there !
At a first glance none of your names link to mine - but who knows !

If you google Sutherland churches you will find quite a few interesting items.

There is a great book not long out called ''Rogart, The Story of a Sutherland crofting Parish'' written by John MacDonald one time Postman.
This book is full of the most interesting stories. I'm sure that Farr is covered here. There's a Willie Sutherland the Minister mentioned on page 183
--- could he be one of yours?
There are several interesting old pictures here too, and to add spice, a bit of village gossip which to our acute embarrassment, refers to our Family !!**
Nothing is sacred in Rogart it would appear.

Published -
The Byre
12 Lotts
Achtoty,
Skerray
Sutherland
Scotland price £17. 50p 440 pages

Catalogue data...ISBN 0 9531724 4 9

Good Luck
Trinkie

trinkie
27-Jan-07, 10:08
Bright morning and random thoughts are rampaging through my head !

In Inverness Library they hold the Campbell Diaries.... Mr Campbell the Head Master kept a Diary of the Rogart school children in the early 1900s.

In the above book, there are pictures of the school and children c.1924

Trinkie

cliffhbuber
27-Jan-07, 16:10
A fine day to all! I wish to thank all those who showed interest and offered suggestions for further exploration of family history.