PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Horse Help

Naefearjustbeer
03-Mar-05, 18:02
Being new to broadband I have managed to pick up a trojan horse virus. AVG virus software caught it and deleted it but every time I reboot the laptop it appears to come back. The virus appears to be called istbar.6.BV and every time I go online it opens up a window that looks like www.yahoo.com but isnt, this page trys to open lots of pop ups but my google bar stopped them all. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I have tried spybot search and deystroy and ad-aware but it comes back after every reboot.

Help

kwbrown111
03-Mar-05, 18:30
di you delete it out of the recycle bin. also type it into the search on the start menu and see if it comes up there

Donnie
03-Mar-05, 19:01
The virus is called Troj/Istbar-X, trying searching for it on the web and i'm sure you'll be able to find advice for permanent removal.

Riffman
04-Mar-05, 14:00
If you are using XP turn off the auto restore before running AVG or Windows will reinstall the virus...

Naefearjustbeer
05-Mar-05, 20:08
If you are using XP turn off the auto restore before running AVG or Windows will reinstall the virus...

I have tried this but made no difference :~( . I found a free scan on macafees website www.nai.com and it says no virus present, I ran stinger.exe which is supposed to find a list of the worst trojans and this found nothing. Yet AVG finds this istbar.6.bv every time the pc gets rebooted, and spybot and ad-aware always remove the same stuff. It still reapears after reboot. I have added the site that pops up to a list of banned sites so I dont download it evry time I go online put it still pops up an empty window each time I go online. If I had hair I would be pulling it out at the moment

norscot
05-Mar-05, 20:50
You must turn off System Restore on all drives, then re-boot your computer and run your anti-virus and spyware programs to get rid of the offending program. Once you've done that run a search to make sure you've got rid of every instance. After that re-enable System Restore and re-boot your computer. All being well you should be rid of the pest. Get yourself a decent anti-trojan program like Trojan Hunter and make sure to update it regularly.

** Forgot to add - Before running your a/v and spyware programs, check in Task Manager to ensure the offending program isn't running. If it is, end the process as you cannot delete it if it is running.

colmac
06-Mar-05, 15:18
Believe it or not, it might be as simple as deleting your temporary internet files. I had the same problem when I first got Broadband. AVG kept finding a trojan horse but no other scan could. Finally figured out that it went away when I emptied my temp internet folder. ALSO get a pop up blocker. Quite a few trojans sneak on to your pc via pop-ups. I use the one that came with XP's sevice pack 2 and it is great.

Elena
08-Mar-05, 23:18
Spybot and Ad-Aware (free to download and use) helped me with a similar problem, it persisted for months until newer versions of these programs finally got rid of it, tried doing all the removal by hand myself first, no luck.

Naefearjustbeer
08-Mar-05, 23:52
Spybot and Ad-Aware (free to download and use) helped me with a similar problem, it persisted for months until newer versions of these programs finally got rid of it, tried doing all the removal by hand myself first, no luck.

Not sure what I did or didnt do but the problem has gone thanks for all the tips. I think I tried just about everything suggested but dont know which one cleared it :)