PDA

View Full Version : Sirens?

Kenn
31-May-13, 00:00
There was an enormous racket coming from either Vulcan or Dounreay yesterday evening sounded like some sort of siren with a bad case of laryngitis. Any one know what was going on?

sids
31-May-13, 12:48
I believe they do have sirens.

That'll be what made the noise.

mi16
31-May-13, 13:46
likely an exercise

sids
31-May-13, 18:21
likely an exercise

Or a nuclear apocalypse.

My money's on the exercise.

Green_not_greed
31-May-13, 20:33
Lizz hope you got the right night. On wednesday there were a bunch of sirens etc going off at Dounreay for a few hours. As I had seen no announcement or warning in the local press I called the police control room to make sure that the alarms were not real, and was assured that the new site alert was being tested, and it wasnt real. I played some golf later and all I heard from those on the course were complaints about the alarms. They were pretty loud! I see that as a good thing, however. Dounreay could have let the local community know in advance, though. A simple announcement on caithness.org would catch many of us! If they did I missed in any local press and/or community announcement.

sids
31-May-13, 20:56
I expect they (and other agencies) have arrangements in place for local residents to be informed of big leaks coming their way.

People who hide under the bed or run for the hills when they hear a hooter are being overly pessimistic.

Green_not_greed
31-May-13, 21:03
Sids

If there is a test of a major alarm system scheduled then I think local Residents should be made aware. I am one of those and certainly never saw anything obvious from local press etc. Thats one of the points I am trying to make. I dont mind it happening - but I would like to have known in advance that it was a test, thats all.

Serenity
31-May-13, 22:45
I only flicked through the courier, like 2 mins for the whole thing, but I am sure I saw an announcement in it. It's not with me to check though.

Aaldtimer
01-Jun-13, 02:27
There was definitely a notice in the local paper...it might have been last weeks Groat...but I remember seeing it.

sids
01-Jun-13, 09:29
Sids

If there is a test of a major alarm system scheduled then I think local Residents should be made aware. I am one of those and certainly never saw anything obvious from local press etc. Thats one of the points I am trying to make. I dont mind it happening - but I would like to have known in advance that it was a test, thats all.

Yeah, you've got a point. The other posters are saying they saw an advert, but maybe that's an old fashioned way to tell people nowadays. Newspapers are going out of date as an "information vector."

The important thing is they remember to tell you it all explodes for real.