PDA

View Full Version : Old Brewery Thurso

the nomad
22-Jan-07, 16:10
So plans are a foot to demolish the old brewery, shame, but nothing in the pipeline to save it, it needs to be pulled down for safety reasons, which brings me to my point, what about the old house that's falling to bits in the square in Thurso.

Can they not use the same reasoning!!!!!

daviddd
22-Jan-07, 16:27
The issues are quite different - the owners of the brewery are willing to demolish, unlike the wreck of a building in SJ Square that the owner won't.

Gogglebox
22-Jan-07, 22:18
Was hoping the vibrations from the street party would shake it down or the lorry they used for a stage reversed into in
Such an eyesore and i hope it is levelled soon. shame or the houses and business roundabout - must be a nightmare

But success atleast that dump of a brewery meeting its end -atlast

North Rhins
22-Jan-07, 23:20
My Gran's house was just round the corner on riverside, next to the coal yard, many years ago. I can't ever remember the brewery in operation, does anyone know when it ceased producing beer?

gollach
23-Jan-07, 01:00
Was hoping the vibrations from the street party would shake it down or the lorry they used for a stage reversed into in
Such an eyesore and i hope it is levelled soon. shame or the houses and business roundabout - must be a nightmare

But success atleast that dump of a brewery meeting its end -atlast

The old brewery building is a damning piece of evidence that shows just how badly we have undermined original buildings by the systematic removal of old structures in the centre of Thurso. Buildings such as the garage across the road and the new houses currently under construction have transformed the streetscape to such an extent that the brewery was never going to sit comfortable beside its new neighbours.

jaykay
23-Jan-07, 14:02
Does anyone know if they got planning permission to demolish it. I understand the decision was to have beem made yesterday.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jan-07, 14:02
Am all for adding to the landscape, however taking things away - such as the old brewery - I am certainly not. The building has had countless opportunity to be restored to, at least, some form of presentation that is safe. But just like some of my most favourite buildings and pieces of street furniture, in Thurso, it'll be removed... but certainly not forgotten. That's progress, as they say.

bky
24-Jan-07, 08:52
fine knock it down - but use the stone work for a paved area in amongst the new houses or build a seat marking the spot the brewery once stood on

Whitewater
24-Jan-07, 13:31
I was born and brought up in Grove Lane, Thurso, in the early 1940s. The old brewery was just a pile of stones then, I don't ever recall it working, nor do I know anybody, who is still alive, who has any memory of it producing any beer. Sorry, but it should have gone years ago.

theone
24-Jan-07, 20:48
If our councillors have any foresight they will refuse permission for any building (no doubt flats will be in the pipeline) on the land and purchase it for a car park.

With the lack of parking available in Thurso centre I'm suprised the land where the new flats are up the road wasn't earmarked for this purpose.

jaykay
25-Jan-07, 10:54
If our councillors have any foresight they will refuse permission for any building (no doubt flats will be in the pipeline) on the land and purchase it for a car park.

With the lack of parking available in Thurso centre I'm suprised the land where the new flats are up the road wasn't earmarked for this purpose.

I agree. It would be a pity to see the site used for flats. A car park or a nice green area with a few trees would be a better idea but I don't suppose the owners would be very keen on that idea.

Geo
25-Jan-07, 13:47
Where is the old brewery?

BAND1T
25-Jan-07, 15:20
The old brewery is opposite Dunnets garage petrol pumps in mansons lane. As far as I know from what I have been told was that part of it might have been a brewery but it was mostly used as a grain store.

But as most people have said it should have been pulled down years ago.
Totally agree that the stone should be re-used though in either the founds or as paving etc for whatever goes into the new build.