PDA

View Full Version : Macadie/Mowat

Angela
18-Jan-07, 16:05
My grandmother's sister, Hughina Mowat, b. Wester, Wick, 1883 m. Thomas Alexander Macadie, carpenter, some time after 1901. (at the 1901 census, she was aged 17 and single)

I've not been able to locate their marriage cert, although their death certs state that they were married to each other.

Thomas died Glengolly,Thurso, in 1949, Hughina same place in 1951. A daughter, "M. Macadie" registered her mother's death, a daughter "M. Macleod" registered her father's death. I don't know if this is one and the same person, giving maiden/married surnames?

I've not been able to locate Thomas's birth cert either, although his death cert gives his parents' names as Thomas Alexander Macadie and Margaret Bain.

Can anybody help me with some info about the Macadie family -or suggest how I could find out more? Out of 13 children, Hughina was the closest to my granny in age, but died the year I was born, so it would be nice to find out a bit more about her life & any relatives.

Thanks for reading this!:)

Angela
19-Jan-07, 10:55
Many thanks to airdlass for helping me sort this one out - she located the marriage cert, hurrah! :D
There was the equivalent of a typo on Thomas's death cert -his father was in fact David Sinclair Wemyss Macadie - the registrar had repeated Thomas's own names in error. I'd found Thomas's birth cert but discounted it due to his father's names -so that all ties in now.
I'd still be delighted to have any info re their children & their families...
Angela

Lostinfrance
07-Jan-10, 21:21
Hi Angela,

I'm new to this so forgive me if I've got this completely wrong.
i'm just in the process of looking into my family history and was wondering if we may be related in some way.
My mother's name is Georgina Macadie born approx 1933, her fathers name was William Macadie (Pulteneytown - I think) her mothers name Georgina Jolly (Thurso). If these names mean anything to you can you please get in touch.

If I have wasted your time sorry

Hoping to hear from you

cuthill
09-Jan-10, 23:53
William Macadie and Georgina Jolly were married 1926 Thurso,you will get the full cert on SCOTLANDSPEOPLE.

thirsaloon
10-Jan-10, 12:19
Macadie – is that the same family who also had the meal dealers business?

There was also a Macadie who was a shoemaker and another who was a merchant in Traill Street.