PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Freedom of Expression through Public works of Art.

Rheghead
07-May-13, 22:15
How do you think local public works of art should be decided? I think local councillors should appoint an artist and what goes on show should be decided by the artist. I think community participation should be kept to a minimum if not ignored. History tells us that great works of art are never decided by committee.

secrets in symmetry
07-May-13, 22:54
In your scenario, what would happen next if the piece of art produced by the artist is (generally acknowledged to be) crap?

Rheghead
07-May-13, 22:56
In your scenario, what would happen next if the piece of art produced by the artist is (generally acknowledged to be) crap?

Then they wouldn't be appointed in the first place.

secrets in symmetry
07-May-13, 22:58
Then they wouldn't be appointed in the first place.You have more trust in local councillors' artistic taste than I have!

Rheghead
07-May-13, 23:03
You have more trust in local councillors' artistic taste than I have!

I trust them enough so that they can appoint an artist to come up with a piece of public art. :D

Kodiak
07-May-13, 23:32
I trust them enough so that they can appoint an artist to come up with a piece of public art. :D

Me, I would not trust any of our Councillors' to appoint a Rat Catcher let alone an Artist.

If there is to be a piece of "Public" then there is the clue. The word "Public". Since it is for the Public then the Public should choose the Artist that they like, Majority Rules. So the Artist with the most votes gets the Job. Simples :)

Kenn
07-May-13, 23:59
There has been a lot of discussion about 3 art projects within the county, each being a sculpture. I was impressed by 2. the 1 proposed for Dunnet Head and the 1 for Dunnet Bay. I gather though that there has been a lot of opposition which is a shame as both touched on local matters.

joxville
08-May-13, 00:06
In the present climate I don't think the public needs art, it needs better services provided by the local authority. And as for public art galleries, the artefacts should be sold off and the money put to better use in the community.

Green_not_greed
08-May-13, 08:48
I agree Joxville its a complete waste of public money.

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 09:00
I trust them enough so that they can appoint an artist to come up with a piece of public art. :DMaybe.

There are some good ones alongside the M8: a horse (http://www.madestuff.co.uk/2010/07/29/andy-scotts-m8-heavy-horse-and-other-sculptures/), a Teletubby Land horn thing (http://www.a-n.co.uk/artists_talking/images/194870), and some grass pyramids covered in pink sheep (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M8-Pyramid-Sheep/192257654179310). I don't know how they were chosen.

Flynn
08-May-13, 09:29
In the present climate I don't think the public needs art, it needs better services provided by the local authority. And as for public art galleries, the artefacts should be sold off and the money put to better use in the community.

Or charge an entry fee so they provide a long term return instead of a short term pay day.

joxville
08-May-13, 11:26
Yes Flynn, I agree, charge an entry fee. Too much public money is given to the Arts and what benefit is it to the public? The Mermaid alonside the M80, as much as I like it, benefits no-one except its creator. Some libraries, which I see as an essential public service, have closed due to the lack of funds but what does that matter when you can gaze in awe at a weird sculpture in your local shopping precinct. Take Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, free entry, regardless of how much money you have. In it hangs a painting of Christ by Salvador Dali, it's worth a few million, plus there is all the other artworks and artefacts. Sell it off, the building and contents, instead of it being a drain on the public purse. I'm sure there are many more around Scotland in a similar vein, when sold the money will serve the people better instead of supporting stuff that, quite honestly, makes you think, "What the hell is THAT about?"

Flynn
08-May-13, 12:05
Yes Flynn, I agree, charge an entry fee. Too much public money is given to the Arts and what benefit is it to the public? The Mermaid alonside the M80, as much as I like it, benefits no-one except its creator. Some libraries, which I see as an essential public service, have closed due to the lack of funds but what does that matter when you can gaze in awe at a weird sculpture in your local shopping precinct. Take Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, free entry, regardless of how much money you have. In it hangs a painting of Christ by Salvador Dali, it's worth a few million, plus there is all the other artworks and artefacts. Sell it off, the building and contents, instead of it being a drain on the public purse. I'm sure there are many more around Scotland in a similar vein, when sold the money will serve the people better instead of supporting stuff that, quite honestly, makes you think, "What the hell is THAT about?"

There you go again, 'sell it off', that's a one-time gain and next to useless. Charge entry and get a regular long-term return.

neilsermk1
08-May-13, 12:28

Totally agree Jox. When we have public services at a level we need then start to think about public works of art.

secrets in symmetry
08-May-13, 12:44
It's hard to charge an entrance fee when art is displayed en plein air

Flynn
08-May-13, 13:49
Totally agree Jox. When we have public services at a level we need then start to think about public works of art.

You're forgetting, all our public services were sold off in the 80s for a one-time gain.

Rheghead
08-May-13, 19:26

I understand what you are saying but in any given financial squeeze or boom there will always a case for spending money on something which to some is more worthy, I'm talking sick kids here. If we go down that route then we would never get any pieces of public art and what art there is will be aimed at selling us something rather than symbolising anything.

squidge
08-May-13, 21:51
There is an argument that its in times like these that we need access to the Arts. These things are free to make them accessible to all. I love the Horse, I dont much care for the horn thing but I love the Angel of the north. I would like them to stay and continue to be free.

neilsermk1
09-May-13, 13:12
You're forgetting, all our public services were sold off in the 80s for a one-time gain.

Thats why i'm saying we need to get them in order first

Neil Howie
10-May-13, 21:26
Sell it off,

The country is financially bankrupt

now you want it to be culturally bankrupt too...

Rheghead
31-May-13, 18:53
Seemingly one of the councillors thought the Dunnet sculptures were great but sensed where the wind was blowing and voted along with the perceived consensus. I don't think that serves democracy very well, the squeakiest wheels get the most oil.