PDA

View Full Version : Site Moderation

rob murray
26-Apr-13, 22:10
WHo moderates this site ? what criteria is used ? Why are deeply offensive remarks as posted by Orkeydian on the death penalty thread allowed. ie

Let's mollycoddle the accused, just on the off chance that they might be innocent, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary" brigade, have no issue with kiddies being molested, women being raped or the innocent victim being murdered.

Phill
26-Apr-13, 22:15
But make a lighthearted joke about a Mod's age and you'll get infarcted. I guess it's because it's someone else's toy to throw out the pram.

rob murray
26-Apr-13, 22:22
I didnt know that, but whoever moderates this site has to be held to account for the remarks made by Orkadian they are very offensive and clearly contstructed to cause maximum offensive to people who do not share his hypothetical view point...I say hypothetical because we dont do state excutions, whether he likes it or not, but he cannot be allowed to make these remarks in support of his views to restore this procress, thats is not on.

Torvaig
26-Apr-13, 22:57
Did you report the post via the small triangle at the bottom of every post? It will come to their attention eventually.

Moderators are volunteers and not always online......

sids
27-Apr-13, 00:34
You must have a very low threshold of offence.

mi16
27-Apr-13, 06:30
In my experience the mods care not a jot about the things they should care about, yet will ban yuo at a drop of a hat should you touch any of their personal nerves.

joxville
27-Apr-13, 08:45
I don't believe that to be the case mi16. I've had a few infractions and apart from one, I think the rest were deserved. It's a difficult job being a moderator, having to try take a balanced view, what one might find acceptable another mod. may not, so don't be too quick to knock them, it's a thankless task.

golach
27-Apr-13, 09:07
I don't believe that to be the case mi16. I've had a few infractions and apart from one, I think the rest were deserved. It's a difficult job being a moderator, having to try take a balanced view, what one might find acceptable another mod. may not, so don't be too quick to knock them, it's a thankless task.

I am with you Jox, I too have had my share of infractions, all deserved. Moderators have a thankless task, they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Moderators are only human like the rest of us.

neilsermk1
27-Apr-13, 12:37
but he cannot be allowed to make these remarks in support of his views to restore this procress, thats is not on.

So much for free speech then, its his opinion and whether you like it or not is immaterial

sids
27-Apr-13, 13:47
So much for free speech then, its his opinion and whether you like it or not is immaterial

I still don't know on who's behalf Mr Murray is offended, but I hope they appreciate it.

cptdodger
27-Apr-13, 16:05
WHo moderates this site ? what criteria is used ? Why are deeply offensive remarks as posted by Orkeydian on the death penalty thread allowed. ie

Let's mollycoddle the accused, just on the off chance that they might be innocent, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary" brigade, have no issue with kiddies being molested, women being raped or the innocent victim being murdered.

And some people may find this offensive, as well as the rest of the posts you have since seen fit to delete -

Originally Posted by rob murray http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=1023887#post1023887) Pm me I take this is as an utter insult, Id like you to say this garbage face to face...then youll suffer the concequences you perveted slime ball creep .

billmoseley
27-Apr-13, 18:47
Surely if you don't like what being said in a thread then don't read it. No one forces you to read what is said and whether you agree with what's being said it is a free country and people are allowed to have their own opinions.

Mystical Potato Head
27-Apr-13, 18:50
And some people may find this offensive, as well as the rest of the posts you have since seen fit to delete -

Originally Posted by rob murray http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=1023887#post1023887) Pm me I take this is as an utter insult, Id like you to say this garbage face to face...then youll suffer the concequences you perveted slime ball creep .

Well spotted.Showing his true colours.Yet another org hypocrite.

John Little
27-Apr-13, 19:26
Ahem.

I also have earned that title.
Just saying.

Perveted slimeball creep I mean.

secrets in symmetry
27-Apr-13, 21:46
So much for free speech then, its his opinion and whether you like it or not is immaterialAs Flynn said recently:

Freedom of speech ends where libel and defamation begin.
The moderators of this site are hopelessly inconsistent at times, but it's not necessarily their fault.

mi16
27-Apr-13, 21:54
Surely if you don't like what being said in a thread then don't read it.

You wont know if you like it or not until you have read it though.

John Little
27-Apr-13, 23:21
Even then, just because you don't agree with someone does not mean that they are not entitled to their own point of view.
Does it?

And even then we have a right to remain silent.

Which is often best.

sids
28-Apr-13, 02:18
Can't be only me who remembers when he was Robin Murray.

Alice in Blunderland
28-Apr-13, 06:55
Its a thankless task to moderate this site. With so many egos, opinions and attitudes the Mods are damned if they do damned if they dont.

They are after all human.............or are they :eek:

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 15:09
There is good moderation, and there is bad, inconsistent, and ineffective moderation. This site is not in the first class, although I have seen worse. Moderators must be experienced, reasonably intelligent, and have good judgment - and they must be trained and guided effectively.

Alice in Blunderland
28-Apr-13, 15:18
Moderators must be experienced, reasonably intelligent, and have good judgment - and they must be trained and guided effectively.

With that job description there's a heck of a lot of us that would never be able to apply for the position should it become available.:Razz :lol:

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 15:48
With that job description there's a heck of a lot of us that would never be able to apply for the position should it become available.:Razz :lol:Go for it Alice! :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
28-Apr-13, 15:57
Go for it Alice! :cool:

How could I be an unbiased moderator when I have such a soft spot for Jox ........and you of course ;) You would both abuse that and get away with murder then we would have a thread about the death penalty and so on and so on :Razz

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 16:01
How could I be an unbiased moderator when I have such a soft spot for Jox ........and you of course ;) You would both abuse that and get away with murder then we would have a thread about the death penalty and so on and so on :Razz(Blushes)

I'm sure you wouldn't be pants at it. :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
28-Apr-13, 16:03
(Blushes) I'm sure you wouldn't be pants at it. :cool:

No no not pants at all :lol:

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 16:08
On second thoughts, moderators might be forced to wear beige pants - so let's skip the idea, and I'll take you as you are Alice. :cool:

joxville
28-Apr-13, 16:17
In the word of ABBA, " I'm nothing special, in fact, I'm a bit of a bore..."

You flatter me too much Alice.

But keep it coming :-)

Flynn
28-Apr-13, 17:39
I thought the post in question was extremely offensive, but then I also thought it reflected more on the mentality of the person who saw fit to sink so low than on the person it was directed at.

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 17:45
I thought the post in question was extremely offensive, but then I also thought it reflected more on the mentality of the person who saw fit to sink so low than on the person it was directed at.That's a wonderfully even-handed response.

I propose Flynn as the next new Moderator. :cool:

mi16
28-Apr-13, 17:58
That's a wonderfully even-handed response.

I propose Flynn as the next new Moderator. :cool:

Heaven help us

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 18:18
Heaven help usI thought you didn't believe in that sort of thing lol!

Flynn bases his posts on rational arguments using facts - just like you and I do. Is that not desirable for a moderator? :cool:

I doubt he'd want to be one on this forum though....

mi16
28-Apr-13, 18:28
I thought you didn't believe in that sort of thing lol!

Flynn bases his posts on rational arguments using facts - just like you and I do. Is that not desirable for a moderator? :cool:

I doubt he'd want to be one on this forum though....

Aah you got my deliberate mistake.
God youre good.
Flynn would be a great Mod.

I would have a go, but then I would need to ban myself.

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 18:45
Aah you got my deliberate mistake.
God youre good.I know. :cool:

Flynn would be a great Mod.

I would have a go, but then I would need to ban myself.
Forums are usually set up so that Moderators can't ban other Moderators lol.

Perhaps we should get Flynn's permission before campaigning for his elevation.

mi16
28-Apr-13, 18:57
A serious question on moderation though.
If you get an infraction from a moderator, and you then query that infraction with them.
Why do they never respond to your query?

I would respect their decision a lot more if they at least had enough about them to back up their decision with a simple explanation.

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 20:24
They're too busy doing more important things - or so I've been told by someone who claims to be in the know.

MerlinScot
28-Apr-13, 22:08

He/She's not actually offending anyone. He/She states his/her own opinion, that's it.

I don't understand why people here hold a grudge on mods. I'm an admin of a forum and one of the mods on another forum with over 2000 active members (this one has less...) and I can tell you that it is not easy to issue warnings and ban members, it is not something taken lightheartedly.
I didn't see anyone actually swearing to people here.

If I can say something about the mods on here, I never see them posting, they give you the idea they don't exist... and that's bad, because you need to feel they are there somehow. Even facebook groups have mods now.

MerlinScot
28-Apr-13, 22:12

I've no idea. I asked them to delete my acccount a while ago, I never received a reply. I guess we should forget the password and then.. poof.
This is the first forum where I can't even ban myself LOL

Flynn
28-Apr-13, 22:59

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?13581-Forum-Rules

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 23:10
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?13581-Forum-RulesThe problem is that the rules aren't implemented as stated. Some are ignored, others are apparently made up on the hoof by whoever is doing the moderating.

Would you be a moderator on this forum if asked?

joxville
28-Apr-13, 23:17
Thems the rules, if you don't like it then you're free to leave.

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 23:21
I don't understand why people here hold a grudge on mods. I'm an admin of a forum and one of the mods on another forum with over 2000 active members (this one has less...) and I can tell you that it is not easy to issue warnings and ban members, it is not something taken lightheartedly. I am admin on a forum with over 10,000 active users. We are a lot more consistent in our moderation, and we are a lot more open about the way we do things.

I have no problems issuing warnings and banning perennial nuisances. :cool:

If I can say something about the mods on here, I never see them posting, they give you the idea they don't exist... and that's bad, because you need to feel they are there somehow. Even facebook groups have mods now.Are there any moderators on this forum, or is all moderation done by the forum owner and his family alone?

I've been told that there aren't any independent moderators on this forum, but I don't know if that is the case or not, and at some level I don't really care. As I have been reminded repeatedly by a prominent and well-respected forum member, it's their forum and they can do whatever they want with it.

The problem is that the moderation is sparse and inconsistent, and they don't stick to their own rules - they don't even pay lip service to most of them! I suppose that's their right, because it's their ball....

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-13, 23:24
Thems the rules, if you don't like it then you're free to leave.No, thems isn't the rules. The rules is what whoever does the moderating implements at the time.

At some level, I don't really care what they do - but as a professional, I hate to see amateurs make a porcine posterior of doing what is a far easier job than some suggest. Running and moderating a forum effectively is easy when you do it properly.

That's my last word on the subject. I've criticised constructively, and I've offered to help, but when I did get a response it was similar to that received by scorrie at Homebase.

Flynn
29-Apr-13, 07:27
The problem is that the rules aren't implemented as stated. Some are ignored, others are apparently made up on the hoof by whoever is doing the moderating.

Would you be a moderator on this forum if asked?

Having spent time reading some old threads on the issue of moderators and who should be one, no I wouldn't.

joxville
29-Apr-13, 07:39
I don't know how many moderators there are but of the three members who I do know are mods, and two ex mods, I don't believe any of them to be related to the site owners. This is a topic that crops every year, usually when someone spits the dummy out, and it always elicits the same arguments and responses...

As has been said, it's their site to do with as they please. Tbh, if it was my site I'd probably be the same as them :-)

MerlinScot
29-Apr-13, 16:26
I have no problems issuing warnings and banning perennial nuisances. :cool:

Bad Sis :cool:

BRIE
01-May-13, 13:36
A serious question on moderation though.
If you get an infraction from a moderator, and you then query that infraction with them.

I would respect their decision a lot more if they at least had enough about them to back up their decision with a simple explanation.

They do respond eventually! I received infractions a couple of years ago which i thought were unfair so contacted the mods but got no response so put it on the forum, my response was more infractions! lol & everytime i asked the same question I again received more until I got suspended! [lol] a different mod then retracted some of the infractions as it was pretty obvious the first mod was just taking it personally!

secrets in symmetry
10-May-13, 23:01
Incompetent or merely disorganised?

My forum would have banned this spammer and deleted all his posts several hours ago. Indeed, it's likely that we would have banned him before he made his first post.

You choose.

shazzap
10-May-13, 23:08
Incompetent or merely disorganised?

My forum would have banned this spammer and deleted all his posts several hours ago. Indeed, it's likely that we would have banned him before he made his first post.

You choose. What forum is that sis.

secrets in symmetry
10-May-13, 23:12
It's a forum that's run properly. :cool:

shazzap
10-May-13, 23:17
It's a forum that's run properly. :cool: That's not a very good name for a forum.:roll:

secrets in symmetry
10-May-13, 23:19
My forum is not in question.

This one is.

shazzap
10-May-13, 23:22
My forum is not in question.

This one is. Ooooooooooooo was only asking.

Phill
11-May-13, 09:32
I guess we can assume that the mods are all on holiday just now??

Shaggy
11-May-13, 10:48
I guess we can assume that the mods are all on holiday just now??

Maybe they are all on holiday in Italy and they have upset a local chemist.....:eek:

Flynn
11-May-13, 11:07
232 spam posts and counting. Shocked that any website would let a spam attack go on for so long. Has no one contacted the owner?

joxville
11-May-13, 11:11
I'm led to believe Flynn, from other Orgers previous postings, that contacting the site owners usually falls on deaf ears. Though to be fair, they do have a life beyond this website. Just saying like...

Alrock
11-May-13, 12:14
Why aren't there more mods?
Even some with limited power to stop these spam attacks dead.

Phill
11-May-13, 12:24
Somebody has made a half arsed attempt, my thread has been deleted but the spammer is still spamming!
:lol:

Kodiak
11-May-13, 12:26
I think that this Spam Attack proves that we need more, active Mods. This whole incident should never got as bad as what it did. I know several of us reported all the Spam, but by the time I went to bed nothing had been done. I even sent an email to Niall and no response.

We need more Active MODS!

secrets in symmetry
11-May-13, 12:43
I was told by a mate that this forum has no moderators. A post from a knowledgeable member suggested there are at least 3.

Apparently, none were active between roughly 9pm last night and midday today.

Banning a spammer and deleting all their posts takes a few clicks. It's not rocket surgery.

shazzap
11-May-13, 12:47
If your banned, surely you should not show up in, whose currently online.

secrets in symmetry
11-May-13, 12:49
If your banned, surely you should not show up in, whose currently online.Getting banned doesn't log you out - it's just the way it works.

Don't worry, you can't do anything when you're banned.

Kodiak
11-May-13, 12:53
I was told by a mate that this forum has no moderators. A post from a knowledgeable member suggested there are at least 3.

Apparently, none were active between roughly 9pm last night and midday today.

Banning a spammer and deleting all their posts takes a few clicks. It's not rocket surgery.

You are correct, it is fairly simple. Both me and my wife have been Mods on Forum Boards, ogame.org for a start where we were Mods there for Years until we gave up playing Ogame. We even ran our own Forum for several years so we know how easy it is to fix this type of problem, easy that is if you are online.